What's new

King C Gillette blades, absurd smoothness

No, but unless you can get Gillette to tell you which blade they rebranded, trying to determine which one is experimental guesswork.

And it's even possible that they took an existing blade, rebranded it, and changed the grind angles. That would change the feel of it.
True, but I find it hard to believe that they would go to the trouble of changing the grind and running just these blades (time, cost, effort, etc.)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I got a box (with two smaller blade boxes - 10 blades - and I see what you mean about ridiculous packaging) for Christmas,but I'm waiting for my current blade to expire before I load one up.

Have given these a try over the past couple of weeks and really like them. I see why people compare them to the Gillette Platinum New blades, I use both and they are indeed strikingly similar. However, I do get more longevity out of the King C Gillette so I don't think they are a rebranded Gillette Platinum New. Would love to have these in my rotation but the price, and absurd (!) packaging, are too hard to ignore. Maybe I'll pick up a couple of 60-packs next year if I can find them at a decent price..

For whatever my opinion is worth, I don't think the KCG and Platinum blades feel anything alike. The KCG blades are much smoother and still sharp enough to give me a BBS shave. It's a bit of a Goldilocks blade for me.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've only used one so far and it seems pretty nice. Very smooth, really. On the 10th pass it seemed to be in the mood to start letting me down, but I'm going to push it for a few more just to see what happens.

I like them, but if they're only good for 9 passes that may put a crimp in our relationship.

Just popped in my second KCG, and I am amazed at the smoothness of this blade. I've only been doing this for a few months, but it's far and away my favorite blade to this point. Granted, my comparisons have been few in my short time (Derby Extra, Gillette 7 o'clock SS (greens), and Super-Max Platinums), but this blade is glorious!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
These are, indeed, so incredibly smooth. I love that. Absolutely love it, which makes me so sad because they are not sharp enough for my beard.

I can get two pretty darn not too bad shaves with one, but if you're going to only offer two shaves you need to be a Feather where BBS is pretty easy.

I got these for Christmas, so I don't know what they cost, but the smoothness factor makes them worth a try.

Top Bottom