What's new

King 1000 notes

recently bought a king 1000
it needed some lapping it had a little belly
don't assume its flat from factory

also needs more than a day to dry before re-boxing.... original box now smells dank

anyone seal/lacquer the markings?

I don't think that I would seal a King. They absorb so much water that it is probably best if all the surfaces remain open.

My King is the 1k/5K combo. I find it to absorb a lot less water than the Norton.
I do not need to soak it before use. I put it back in its original plastic box after barely wiping it and I've never had problems.

If you are doing a lot of honing like the honemeisters do, you can keep water absorbent stones in a bucket of water to which a little bleach has been added to prevent growth of mold, mildew and bacteria. If you only hone occasionally, as is the case for most of us, you might be better off with "splash and go" type of stones that do not require soaking and which dry fairly quickly after the honing session.

The king 1K wears so fast, that it needs constant lapping.

For small jobs, I rather use a fast coticule.

For big removals, I lap the stone flat just before setting the bevel. Otherwise it takes for ever on finer stones.

Very annoying stone... hopefully it will wear in to oblivion before long, and I'll get an upgrade.

Most stones need to be lapped befcre use. I wouldnt' try to seal it, I think it would absorb a quart of lacquer.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Most stones need to be lapped befcre use. I wouldnt' try to seal it, I think it would absorb a quart of lacquer.

LOL that is probably the case. The K1k is like a very hard sponge!

Honestly I prefer 1k or 2k grit sandpaper. or 30u film or a 1k Nanny and there are other options, all perhaps better than a K1k. It works, but certainly isn't the elegant solution. On the plus side, it gives the user a lot of practice lapping stones.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’ve used a King 1k a lot. It is soft and needs frequent lapping but it gets the job done well enough. I recently got a Shapron 1k because I truly hate lapping stones. One of the great things about film - always dead flat and never needs lapping.

Top Bottom