What's new

Kindle Tablets...?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
The Mrs. would to get me a Kindle tablet, but I’ve heard the Fire has had a few systemic and/or operational problems (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/12/kindle-fire-problems-issues-complaints_n_1144227.html#s539886&title=RELATED_VIDEO).
Plus based on your experiences, which Kindle (Kindle or Fire), would have avery bright light for reading at night besides overall functionality & architecture?
proxy.php

proxy.php
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn the more places you’ll go.” Dr. Seuss

Last edited:
I have the model from last year, with 3G and keyboard, not the Kindle Fire. It doesn't have a light, but I don't think they others do, either. Several companies make lights that you buy separately. They fit into a pocket built into many covers, and you pull the light out when you need it.

I've got a Kindle Touch and find it to be an excellent ebook. I use it only for reading books, since I have a laptop for other things and don't need a catch-all multitool device. The Kindle Fire looks to have some serious flaws regarding battery life and other things, but the Touch lasts a long time on a charge. It's quite fast when downloading a new book from Amazon, within minutes of purchase usually. As for a bright light, there are a number of covers with built-in lighting. I use this one: http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-Touch-Lighted-Leather/dp/B004SD2562

Good luck!

I have the Kindle Fire. I like it a lot. In fairness, I use it mostly as an e-reader, with occasional Netflix duty. I do have it configured to remote into my personal or office PC if needed, as well as my entertainment PC for controlling movies and the like. No, it doesn't have a lot of RAM, it's designed to be used primarily in conjunction with WIFI. I'm never far away from WIFI, so that's a non-issue for me. Since I have an iPhone, I didn't feel like I needed a lot of the bells and whistles like cameras, etc. The only thing I think I'd have really wished for is external volume controls. It can be annoying to access the volume control if something starts out blasting away when you pop onto a website, etc.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I've got a Kindle Touch and find it to be an excellent ebook. I use it only for reading books, since I have a laptop for other things and don't need a catch-all multitool device. The Kindle Fire looks to have some serious flaws regarding battery life and other things, but the Touch lasts a long time on a charge. It's quite fast when downloading a new book from Amazon, within minutes of purchase usually. As for a bright light, there are a number of covers with built-in lighting. I use this one: http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-Touch-Lighted-Leather/dp/B004SD2562

Good luck!
Miles:
Thanx for the info...and the Mrs. did research info on the Touch (which I did like...and the lighter cover is a plus & the free 3G + Wi-Fi version).
proxy.php

I think the Mrs. and I are set on the Touch w/ 3G + Wi-Fi version (which I would use mostly as an ebook reader!!!).

Also, thanx to all who have responded...that's why I love B & B!!! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Reading is to mind what exercise is to the body. Joseph Addison

Last edited:
My wife uses a Kindle Fire that she got for Christmas. She never uses the PC anymore; she does her Facebook, internet, games, and email on the Kindle Fire. She uses it as an ereader also. I'd prefer a larger screen myself, so an Apple iPad would be more up my alley.

I also have a Kindle Touch. I use it solely as an eReader, and absolutely love it. I have the same cover, and it is perfect. I read every night before bed, and I've only charged it twice since I got the reader at Christmas...

The Kindle Fire is a great deal at $200.00, but does have it limitations compared to a regular tablet.

-Only 8GB of memory and no SD card slot
-No Camera
-No Bluetooth for streaming music or podcasts
-No Microphone
-No stock android features like GPS (not sure if anyone would actually use this).
-No HDMI out which is pretty standard on most Android tablets.

The Nook is supposdly more hacker friendly so if your itching to load some custom ROMs on it you can. But again for the price the Fire is a great device if you enjoy just the basics web browsing, email, some games, netflix and of course reading.

Last edited:
Wife has a Fire and loves it. Uses it more than the laptop as an entertainment device. Just save everything to the cloud and the memory is no issue at all. The Amazon Prime subscription has its benefits too.

My wife has a Kindle Fire and loves it. She rarely used a computer anymore. A year earlier a purchased a regular kindle for her which she still uses as well to read, but man she loves that Fire.

Miles:
Thanx for the info...and the Mrs. did research info on the Touch (which I did like...and the lighter cover is a plus & the free 3G + Wi-Fi version).
proxy.php

I think the Mrs. and I are set on the Touch w/ 3G + Wi-Fi version (which I would use mostly as an ebook reader!!!).

Also, thanx to all who have responded...that's why I love B & B!!! :thumbsup:

proxy.php

I have a Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi) only and it is so, so, so, great. I actually like it better than tactile books. Even reading a physical book with white paper hurts my eyes after a while. I can read on my Kindle hours because of the grayish backing and no glare with little eyestrain. It really is a great reader. Why are getting one with 3G though? I am just wondering. I opted for the Wi-Fi only because the only time you need it connected is to retrieve or download a purchased book.

The thing that bothers me about the Kindle is the amount of access Amazon has to them.

A year or so ago there was a problem between Amazon and some book publishers. Something about licensing agreements. Amazon pulled the books "out of every bodies kindle"! Even if you had paid and owned the book for a while it just disappeared. Then after the disagreement was settled the book reappeared WITH ANY NOTES you had made on the book.

Too invasive for me.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I have a Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi) only and it is so, so, so, great. I actually like it better than tactile books. Even reading a physical book with white paper hurts my eyes after a while. I can read on my Kindle hours because of the grayish backing and no glare with little eyestrain. It really is a great reader. Why are getting one with 3G though? I am just wondering. I opted for the Wi-Fi only because the only time you need it connected is to retrieve or download a purchased book.
Matt:
I don't really know (with the Mrs. and I not being gurus of tech), ...would 3G give me more storage for books?
proxy.php

proxy.php

better go with the new Nook or Nook Tablet..more ram compared to the Kindle

If you are using it to read books only, this is a non-issue. My Kindle wi-Fi/3G keyboard model has 3GB of storage. After loading over 200 books and apps on it, I still have 2.75 GB free.

No, 3G is just a method of connecting, like WiFi. 3G uses the cellular system and is fairly quick.

I have a Kindle Fire. I originally bought my wife a Kindle about a year ago. I liked it so much that I bought myself a Kindle 3G, thinking I could use it for email as well as reading. Then, when I was on the Amazon web site I discovered that many magazines were available, but not for the 3G! I bought the Fire, gave the 3G to our youngest son, and was happy for a while. However, trying to use the Google app site, it was blocked. Last week, I rooted the Fire, and now I can go where I wish with the Fire. Except for no 3G. Oh well.

If you're wanting to read books, and nothing else, I'd get the 3G, not the Fire. If you want web browsing, email, etc -- the Fire is OK, when you're in a WiFi area, but if that's not good enough, you'll have to look at a different brand of tablet.

Last edited:
I have a fire and really like it. The fire fills the gap between my phone and laptop great! I'm not a real techy person either but I'm impressed with it and have had no issues since I got it in early December.

Matt:
I don't really know (with the Mrs. and I not being gurus of tech), ...would 3G give me more storage for books?

proxy.php

The 3G radio is great for uploading books on the go. Plus you don't sign up for any kind of data plan with any network. Really more of an incentive to move up to a model with 3g. But to your original question, no it won't add any more storage to the device. But you can store your books in the cloud on Amazon's servers and retrieve them when you need them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom