What's new

Kindle/ebook vs Paper

What do people prefer and what is the majority of your collection?

• Prefer kindle/ebook

• Prefer physical books

• Most of my collection is in kindle/ebook

• Most of my collection is in physical books

Results are only viewable after voting.
Another happy mail day today, a book I recently ordered arrived in the post.

It got me thinking, what do people think on the whole kindle/ebook versus paper idea?

A great deal of my library is in the kindle/ebook format, but I do have quite a number of physical books.

Both have their uses and merits, but what does everyone think?

Legion

Staff member
I am all about paper books. I can't see myself ever buying a device to read books off.

If I was a student and having to cart multiple heavy textbooks to and from school, that would be different, but for me it will always be paper.

Recreational reading is almost all Kindle. References/texts/etc are 99% paper. Hard to annotate margins and stick in unique book marks at appropriate spots.

I dont read a lot but when I do it's almost always an ebook. I like that I can increase the font and it remembers where i left off.

The beauty of a physical book lies in it's portability; no batteries, not impaired by too much light on the screen, readily available and easy to pack when travelling (TSA doesn't care about paper books), can't be erased by a CPU or memory crash and there is a certain comfort in the feel of a real book.

I prefer books, but the kindle paperwhite was great for reading classics I was downloading from gutenberg. Then amazon decided to change the file system last year and all my classics disappeared. My attempts to re-download them were unsuccessful, so I haven't touched the kindle in 7 months. If my wife wasn't using the kindle for her daily Bible readings, I'd go visit some Kentucky friends and use it for target practice.

I prefer my kindle. Most library's now allow you to check out ebooks and download them to your kindle. I rarely have time to go to the library during their business hours, so this is a huge plus from me.

I will say that several years ago I would have scoffed at the mention of a Kindle vs. Physical book. That is until my wife bought one for me. I am a man in my early 40s and have been some version of a Kindle since my mid 30s. I can honestly saw, the Kindle is easier on my eyes and I tend to read faster. Also I can keep a large library on my kindle (even if I am not connected to wifi) as opposed to lugging around a book. That being said, there are books that I have to have in print. But all being said...and I was a huge critic of eReaders in general...I love my Kindle.

I prefer my kindle. Most library's now allow you to check out ebooks and download them to your kindle. I rarely have time to go to the library during their business hours, so this is a huge plus from me.

I love this aspect too. The OverDrive Media Console works in tandem with my local library card.

I prefer paper books and still have a large collection. However because of convenience I started using ebooks a few years ago - all my books are with me all the time now.

However there is a set of books I will always have on paper - photo and art albums. Not a family photos, but rather from Masters'. It's a special pleasure to browse these albums in the evening with a class of whiskey. :)

You know, I'm torn on this topic as I am on my kindle as I write this . I've always been a physical paper guy but I really like my kindle.

I'm another one who used to scoff at the idea of giving up paper books. I prefer the kindle for portability and convenience. However, I still buy paper books from the used books section on Amazon because they are frequently still cheaper than the e-book.

I love the convenience of a Kindle. They are ideal on a vacation & elsewhere to have a menu of books at your disposal while conserving bulk and weight. A recently learned advantage of paper: paper books will not break when you (a) sit on them (b) in a wet bathing suit (c) for a prolonged period of time while (d) you weigh over 200 lbs. I'm now enjoying my new Kindle Paperwhite after learning this lesson the hard way.

By the time you ask, "Hey has anyone seen my Kindle?" it is too late.

No both option? :)

i am am a voracious reader and use both paper and my kindle. Nonfiction for me is usually paper, but I usually run around 50/50.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I like both. I use my mini-iPad with a Kindle app mostly. With an e-reader you can't write in the margins....do people still do that?

Recreational reading is almost all Kindle. References/texts/etc are 99% paper. Hard to annotate margins and stick in unique book marks at appropriate spots.

Same here. The Kindle highlighting feature and notes feature are ok, but not as good as a pen on paper.

However, if your texts sync properly, then everything carries correct to all devices, which is great.

Top Bottom