What's new

Kind of disappointed by Morris&Forndran

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I ordered me a new Morris&Forndran 2XL brush fro Lee Sabini in England through Brad Sears. And I must say I am a little disappointed. It is very prickly, much more prickly than my Simpsons Chubby 2 in Best. How can that possibly be? I expected an uber-brush... I must add that at this point in time my favorite brush maker is Paladin. Their knots are superb. I enjoy my Paladin and think about selling the Morris&Forndran. Is there something wrong here? Was I expecting too much or something?

Give it some time, it will certainly improve over time and get a little bit softer in the tips.
It will never get super soft though.
If you are looking for gel tips, wrap it up and sell it right away in the BST and make someone else happy.:thumbup1:

I ordered me a new Morris&Forndran 2XL brush fro Lee Sabini in England through Brad Sears. And I must say I am a little disappointed. It is very prickly, much more prickly than my Simpsons Chubby 2 in Best. How can that possibly be? I expected an uber-brush... I must add that at this point in time my favorite brush maker is Paladin. Their knots are superb. I enjoy my Paladin and think about selling the Morris&Forndran. Is there something wrong here? Was I expecting too much or something?
If you are disappointed now I doubt that it will improve with use. Paladin is the benchmark IMO. You could also TRY to get a Black Eagle Shaving brush, but IMO they are excessively overpriced and difficult to obtain.

Don’t give up too quickly. They do soften up a bit, especially at the tips. The basic character won’t change, but the break-in may be enough to make you happy. But, if not, there will be plenty of willing buyers.

i had a similar issue with a plisson HMW when i first got it, but it got softer now its my top knot. i wish they sold it separately so i could but it in a custom handle. i would hold on to it. do some practice bowel lathers with it and see what happens. once the brush dries up do it again like six time in a row. that helped me. if it doesnt help only use it for bowl lather. just kidding

It won't get softer

I haven't ordered a nothing from Lee since he started collaborating with Brad.

When you say you “haven’t ordered a nothing from Lee”, what exactly does that mean? You’ve ordered something from him, or you’ve not ordered something from him? Thanks for clarifying.

When you say you “haven’t ordered a nothing from Lee”, what exactly does that mean? You’ve ordered something from him, or you’ve not ordered something from him? Thanks for clarifying.
I have ordered directly from Lee via email, in the UK, years ago, and still have those brushes and use them regularly

I have NOT ordered an M&F since Lee started collaborating with Brad.

I have ordered directly from Lee via email, in the UK, years ago, and still have those brushes and use them regularly

I have NOT ordered an M&F since Lee started collaborating with Brad.

Got it. Thanks. I figured you meant to say you “haven’t ordered anything“ from him since, but just wanted to confirm. Are you of the opinion that M&F brushes are not of the same quality since Lee and Brad began collaborating?

Got it. Thanks. I figured you meant to say you “haven’t ordered anything“ from him, but just wanted to confirm. Are you of the opinion that M&F brushes are not of the same quality since Lee began collaborating with Brad?
I haven't seen one first hand, done by Brad, so take what I say with a grain of salt

Absolutely yes. I don't get the collaboration and why Lee would hand tie knots and have someone else make the handles. They are no longer true M&F's in my eyes and I have no desire to own one.

I have a Brad Sears and an M&F (pre-collaboration) and an M&F / Brad Sears collaboration. I don't recall the specifics of the knots, I'd have to go dig up the info. The pre-collaboration M&F is several years old. The other two I've had, I dunno, maybe a year or two(?). If I had to rank them in order of preference;

1) Brad Sears
2) M&F pre-collaboration
3) Sears / M&F collaboration.

Note...I like all three very much.

The Brad Sears with the Brad Sears knot (I dont recall where he sources them) is hands down the finest brush I own. That includes SHavemac 2-band Silvertips and I love Shavemac 2-band silvertips (I've 3). The Brad Sears knot turned out to be a wonderful gel-tip and its worth every penny I paid for it. The other two are really nice brushes in thier own right, they are simply in the fight up against an excellent knot.

The thing is, are those Brad Sears knots going to be consistently great or did I just get very very lucky? I suspect I got very lucky. IMHO if someone asked me where to get the best silvertip and I didnt want to send them on a fools errand I'd point them to a Shavemac 2-band silvertip. They seem to consistently be among the best knots in shavedom.

2 cents

Top Bottom