What's new

Kind of disappointed by "Elios"

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I've bought me a box of "Elios" blades that are made in Germany, and today had a first shave with them. The shave wasn't horrible, but it wasn't very good either, comparing to my favorite Personna. I just wanted to try them, but now I'm stuck with a 200 box. :/

Screenshot_1.jpg

German blades are odd. My favorite and least favorite blades (that I’ve tried) are German.
Merkur was a horrible experience for me and Bolzano are automatic and so easy to use.

German blades are odd. My favorite and least favorite blades (that I’ve tried) are German.
Merkur was a horrible experience for me and Bolzano are automatic and so easy to use.
I agree. I hated that merkur blade that came with my 37C. And they cost so much if you buy them separately.

It’s a shame that when people buy a Merkur their first shave might just be with the worst blade EVER!!! 😂
I think the same company makes both Merkur and Elios blades. Why do people buy them; is there some secret technique or hardware to make them work decently?

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I would never judge a blade by its first shave. Some blades just need to break in shave. For instance, my first shave on a new GSB is generally a garbage throw away shave. That being said, they get better until I hit the sweet spot around shave 7 or eight. I can get in the neighborhood of 20 shaves off a GSB until it quits...

Don't give up on your blades just yet. Put them through their paces!

I would never judge a blade by its first shave. Some blades just need to break in shave. For instance, my first shave on a new GSB is generally a garbage throw away shave. That being said, they get better until I hit the sweet spot around shave 7 or eight. I can get in the neighborhood of 20 shaves off a GSB until it quits...

I disagree
I’d rather a blade perform right out of the box than have to endure breaking it in to an acceptable shape... even if I use twice as many as the next guy. I have over 1000 blades of various makes (mostly Russian) to enjoy. It’s a variable I’d rather not contend with at the moment.
my two cents.

brandaves

I disagree
I’d rather a blade perform right out of the box than have to endure breaking it in to an acceptable shape... even if I use twice as many as the next guy. I have over 1000 blades of various makes (mostly Russian) to enjoy. It’s a variable I’d rather not contend with at the moment.
my two cents.
Understandable. For me if a corking takes the bite out and makes a blade do its job rather then giving up on it then I'll do that too. To each there own. I guess I just haven't found a DE blade that is perfect right out of the wrapper. I've tried many blades but I think that is a rarity.

I have mixed feelings about Elios blades as well. They're not horrible, but aren't good for many shaves. To me they also have a varied performance in different razors.

That's a lot of mediocre shaves for you to stick with that blade. What is it about the GSB that it doesn't work that great from shaves 1-8?

brandaves

That's a lot of mediocre shaves for you to stick with that blade. What is it about the GSB that it doesn't work that great from shaves 1-8?
I'm sorry, what I mean is that only the first shave is poor. The blade gets even better each subsequent shave until about 7 or 8 and then holds on to that level of comfort for another 10 shaves or so. If I cork it then the first shave tends to be fine. Corking is generally my solution to the problem.

I'm sorry, what I mean is that only the first shave is poor. The blade gets even better each subsequent shave until about 7 or 8 and then holds on to that level of comfort for another 10 shaves or so. If I cork it then the first shave tends to be fine. Corking is generally my solution to the problem.
Ah ok cool.
I do like my second shave on most blades more than the first. To be honest I don’t use a blade more than five times. I’ve only been DE shaving for three months sooooo I’ll keep it simple for now.

Hello. Igor, try using the Slant technique, in this way I made the Neva blade work on my face. It was not perfect or pleasant, but it worked. It is possible that you will feel “Elios” in action differently. Regards, Eugene.

I've bought me a box of "Elios" blades that are made in Germany, and today had a first shave with them. The shave wasn't horrible, but it wasn't very good either, comparing to my favorite Personna. I just wanted to try them, but now I'm stuck with a 200 box. :/

View attachment 1040514

SORRY!! The only way to tell is to try things yourself.

Must say that Wilkies are the only German blades that I really like.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I disagree
my two cents.
I agree, a blade should perform right out of the box without having to wait until it gets better. If you want to try an absolutely fabulous blade out of Germany Timor is it. They are expensive, but Connaught Shaving has the most reasonable price. Pick up a tuck to try sometime. Timors are tops in sharpness, smoothness, and longevity. My only disappointment with them is I only have 200.
002_25.jpg

Are they worse, better, or the same as a Merkur blade?

I will look into the Timor blade. I had never heard of it before.

Top Bottom