What's new

Kimchi

I promised LSW that this one wouldn't make the house smell...she's endured me making Worcestershire sauce, homemade ketchup, and several other vinegar based condiments. The only aroma in the house right now is the jasmine rice I'm steaming to enjoy with the fresh kimchi.

My wife is from Seoul, and her parents live with us, so every few weeks my Mother in Law makes kimchi. She makes a few different kinds, though we always have some of the spicy cabbage around. We also get one made with mini cucumbers. And others with daikon cubes, another one with daikon that roughly translates to bachelor's kimchi, and the water (someone above called it winter) kimchi too, though my in laws seem to make this as a spring/summer dish and it is always served really cold, often with ice in it. The water kimchi is also as much about the brine as the veggies, spoonfuls of icy cold sour vinegar really accentuate some of the spicy Korean foods.

My inlaws even have a kimchi fridge, looks a little like a half sized chest freezer, though it has two lids and a bunch of buttons and lights on the top.

I like my kimchi fresh and still crispy, though my wife tells me true Koreans eat it when it is much further along in the fermintation, and starts to stink the place up. :lol: Sometimes when they open that kimchi fridge I have to leave the room, or even the house.

I believe the soup mtsgsd mentions was most likely a Kimchi Chiggae (or maybe a soon dobu), and I have gotten the exact same look when ordering it myself.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Booting an old thread after finding kimchi AMAZING!

Got a can at world market, ordered more off Amazon right after lunch!

Where has this been all my life? No wonder my cousin married a Korean girl!

Kimchi fans, makers still around?

AA

We can get it from several of the Korean supermarkets in this area. Locally made, it comes is a large tub and the price is pretty reasonable.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I love kimchi and often have some as an after-dinner snack.

I've made it a number of times. It's a bit more complicated than sauerkraut, but it's not at all difficult. I pretty much go with Maangchi's recipe, although I don't bother with the squid and I tend to add more ginger. I've found that you really don't need to salt and drain the cabbage, either (but it doesn't do any harm at all). The biggest hassle was getting the ingredients together. Don't get fussy with the recipe, either. It's not gourmet.

I make a large batch of the "paste" and just keep it in the refrigerator. It keeps forever (really, I've used some that was five years old and buried in the back of the fridge in a mason jar). That way, I just chop up and wash and drain some napa cabbage, toss that with some of the paste and ginger and green onion (and maybe some shredded carrot), pack it in my fermenting jar, and let nature take its course.

We also have a Super H Mart in town that sells excellent kimchi. It's convenient, but it's expensive when considering that it's pretty easy.

Dice up some cabbage kimchi to dress up a pulled pork sandwich and you'll never go back to slaw.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm partial to Kimchi made with radish instead of cabbage.

I like that, too, but the cabbage still is tops in my book.

Although cucumber also is way up there.

One I enjoyed a great deal but that got a little harsh was kimchi made from garlic stems. Wonderful, but so very strong!

I also had these tiny, bite-sized crabs. Deliciously funky. I don't know if it's truly "kimchi," but I loved it. I kept a little tub in the fridge and snacked on them ruthlessly (not that I had much competition).

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
The recipe I've used is daikon radish, nappa cabbage, green onions. There is serious off gassing when you make this. Love the stuff but if I would compare the smell to . .. Limburger cheese. If your significant other is not enjoying it . . . you are out on the back deck in the snow.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
proxy.php

This is the one ... That I just bought two more cans of!

Umami; I don't know the secret of its deliciousness ... But throwing a can in the daypack next hike.

AA

If you can’t find it locally

If you don't need the canned/packable stuff, H-Mart will deliver:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Tried a fresh/refrigerated kimchi from wallyworld ... Nasoya brand.

It's very good! Probiotics, organic this one. Not cheap, $5 or so.

AA

If you can find a Korean market where they sell the kimchi that is made locally, that is some of the best. Not cheap, when you consider the inexpensive ingredients, but very convenient and tasty.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If you can find a Korean market where they sell the kimchi that is made locally, that is some of the best. Not cheap, when you consider the inexpensive ingredients, but very convenient and tasty.
May be cheap ingredients, but storing merchandise (for the pickling) for a while prior and I selling costs money.

Top Bottom