What's new

killing an edge after bevel setting

do any of you kill the edge after bevel setting before moving to the next stone from your bevel setting stone. is this counter intuitive? do you all do it? does it have a name? what does it do for the blade?

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I‘ve only been honing for over a year now, but that is not something I would do. I understand killing the edge then setting the bevel. If I put time and energy to set a good bevel I would just move on in my progression. I’m always learning and am interested to see what others think? Just not something I have ever done.

It does nothing as far as I can see. I have done it to an edge that continues to chip but that’s not what you’re talking about here.

I'm still fairly new to honing but I have not and still alive to tell the tale. I've seen guys on YouTube do it and just watching it makes me wince a little bit. I'd love to hear someone who is seasoned at honing who does it though to see what their rationale is. Always up to learning.

Definitely not something I usually do. Some may find the edge condition to be problematic after a shave and a loupe inspection. This may lead to concerns about steel quality and as a consequence some do this from a degree of paranoia. I set my bevels at roughly 3lbs of pressure, midrange at around 1.5-2lbs, and gradually drop down to around 6-10oz for finishing. I also refresh all of my hones Periodically throughout the entire honing process on every stone. This has done a lot to alleviate a lot of edge quality issues that I have encountered over the years. Just have a conscious awareness with a great deal of precision as to what pressure you’re using it every stage.
I also try to avoid letting my stones get clogged or glazed BTW…

Last edited:
Reactions: Wid
I have never done exactly what you describe, but I have done two things that may relate:
  1. Completed a full progression, was not happy, killed the edge, and repeated the process
  2. Killed a shave-ready edge and reset the bevel starting with my 4k
So what's my point? In a perfect world, you use your bevel setter (1k) to form a bevel and then move on. Killing the edge after your bevel setter just gives you a second opportunity to set the bevel, most likely doing less work.

do any of you kill the edge after bevel setting before moving to the next stone from your bevel setting stone. is this counter intuitive? do you all do it? does it have a name? what does it do for the blade?
It is counter intuitive in my opinion. I usually set a bevel on a washita and I stay on that stone almost to finish. I can shave off of one and can get amazing edges going from one to an old hard ark. Most times I'll go through a progression(sometimes with tiny jumps in grit) of various slates, coticules, and different iterations of European novaculite. But I can do everything from bevel set to finish relatively fine, enough for a smooth/ sharp shave. They take out chips very well too. If you can get your bevel setter to hht fairly close to the skin then you're almost done!

Reactions: Wid
Top Bottom