What's new

Kill the edge?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

When was the "Like" button added? I never saw any use of it until today.

1576344383573.png

Wonder why.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I’d also add that I’ve gone to at least 6 estate sales that had evidence of being a barber, or at least containing a stash of barber supplies.

Out of 6 literally 100% had at least one old Coticule that had wear on the BBW side from bread knifing. I think of that whole ordeal I found maybe 1 or 2 Coticules where the BBW had evidence of being used for actual honing.

So filling on glass may be a knew strange version of dulling an edge, but the practice of taking a “jointing pass” or bread knifing on a stone is both old and pervasive IME.

Bread-knifing or what I called jointing an edge is a way to prove a razor is dull, and that is one of the reason why I did that in my videos. I got guff for it for a while, but I always suspected that those guffer guys had never really tried it.
Jointing an edge is just a technique and it does have benefits.
It weakens an edge and if done to a minimal degree does not degrade the edge.
It exposes solid steel, the true apex of side A and B by folding over the feather edge.
Doing it can shorten the honing time by having that steel folded over where it is vulnerable.
If you don't go overboard with the actual honing, like adding hundreds and hundreds of strokes on top of an already finished an keen edge, a ultra fine apex can be reached very quickly.
Some steels are more tenacious than others, so sometimes it can be difficult to gently hone off a feather/false edge. Jointing can help.

Alex

Last edited:
I've seen a few videos where people are touching up their straights and in a lot of em, they run the blades edge across a piece of glass or the edge of their stone. Why. Seems like a wasted step. If you're wanting to refine the edge a little better, put it to the 8k and 12k for a few strokes instead of making the edge totally useless and having to do more work to clean it up. Thoughts?

If you're making a video, I suppose it helps to demonstrate that you actually did something in the video. While I do see advantages to using stone over glass to kill an edge, I do agree with comments about this being a way to demonstrate there is a fresh edge all along the edge versus leaning on an edge that already existed. And for the sake of those posting videos about it, this seems to be a fairly agreed upon way of establishing the edge is no longer cutting before beginning work.

As for bringing the edge back, regardless of how easy it is, the general idea is that the cutting edge was either folded over (glass) or abades away (stone). I think it is interesting people are referencing the ability to bring an edge back with just a strop, but not acknowledging the ability of clean leather to actually abade metal, which does seem to be what is occuring for those that can bring a glassed edge back with a plain leather strop.... the folded edge is abaded away, leaning on the pre-existing bevel geometry.

As for the gouges on old coticules, I've personally used coticules for chip removal and bevel setting and have found it easier to deal with chips if I "kill the edge" several times in my bevel setting stages until the chips are gone. It's a pretty aggressive way to take care of nick in the edge, but I'd be willing to bet a lot of those barbers with gouges in their stones are doing chip removal after dropping a straight.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
....As for the gouges on old coticules, I've personally used coticules for chip removal and bevel setting and have found it easier to deal with chips if I "kill the edge" several times in my bevel setting stages until the chips are gone. It's a pretty aggressive way to take care of nick in the edge, but I'd be willing to bet a lot of those barbers with gouges in their stones are doing chip removal after dropping a straight.

This thread continues to inform, educate, and be thought provoking.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom