What's new

Keychain Tools?

There is too much weight on my ignition switch with just the keys. Any additional items just push it farther over what I should have on there.

I’ve got the keys for two cars on one ring, then a quick detachable coupling for the house keys on the other ring. The car fobs alone probably are too much weight.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
:a39:

Supposedly, too much weight on the keyring puts wear on the lock tumbler column, or something.

A light is a requirement, IMO.

Got this little guy, but it's on a lanyard.

AA
Back in college days a pal had a late 60s vw bug. When using the church key on the keyring the key would frequently just come out of the lock tumbler while driving. Quite disconcerting when in the freeway. Ps this story is by no
Means an admission of anything or a recommendation for future conduct. I stand by my denials. 😂😁

Regarding weight on the car's ignition:
The only thing hanging off the ignition switch is the one key. It separates from the other keyring items with a steel S-biner. The other items then go into a pocket.

My Jeep has a GM ignition switch. They were used on decades worth of vehicles. They have a little ear on each side that you push with your thumb and pull with your finger to turn. Anyway, they were famous for wearing out from dangling keys. In my Jeep, I can pull the key out after it is started. If I dont turn it back to lock when I turn the engine off, I can restart without a key. I often pull the key out when offroad so I don't have to listen to the other keys banging on the steering column.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
My Jeep has a GM ignition switch. They were used on decades worth of vehicles. They have a little ear on each side that you push with your thumb and pull with your finger to turn. Anyway, they were famous for wearing out from dangling keys. In my Jeep, I can pull the key out after it is started. If I dont turn it back to lock when I turn the engine off, I can restart without a key. I often pull the key out when offroad so I don't have to listen to the other keys banging on the steering column.
Sadly or I don’t know for good, cars are going push button start. So dangling keys will be a thing of the past too.

I used to have a church key for many years but switched to a gerber shard about 5 years ago. I like it a lot better, its small, lighter and has more functions than the old church key and its less likely to poke me. The can opener end on the church key was always trying to tenderize my thigh when I sat down.

Forgot to show off my edc. L-R Gerber dime, olight 13e eos 1-AAA, buck 112 and gerber shard. Yeah I know just 1 is eligible for this thread, but oh well. :)
EA161ADC-960C-44E7-B171-012E6E3F5D69.jpeg

I have just a Classic Swiss Army Knife added to my ring. I have lots of keys for work that add weight/bulk to the rings so I try to keep it as minimal as possible. (I take the work keys off on my days off and there is a definite lightness in the pockets those days!)

Top Bottom