What's new

Keurig..worth it?

I truly do not mean any offense, but I have to agree w/ bristlepuss. Frankly, I'm surprised this thread has made it onto a second page w/out getting torn a new one. I'm sure there are a number of well tempered gentlemen who are biting their tongues. It's commendable really.

I never really understood the appeal. I have tied a few different options and was sorely disappointed with each. I would never trade a little convenience for a mediocre cup of coffee, substantial increase in waste, and increased cost.

It all comes down to how much do you want to pay for convenience. My daughter and her husband (recently married) have had a Keurig Plat Plus for about a month and like it. They are, at best, one cup-a-day coffee drinkers. The Keurig gives them the option of coffee, tea, cider or hot chocolate, so while expensive, it works for them. It would be a $$$ killer for my wife and I who brew an 8 cup pot of coffee 2-3 times a day. It also allows my daughter to keep some strong coffee on hand should my wife and I visit. Being served a cup of Starbucks Dark Sumatra in the Keurig is far better than being served a cup of store brand coffee in a Mr Coffee machine (or even instant) you might be offered in most homes.

"Sorry to disagree with cb91710, but it runs about $.60 a cup, not a dollar. Buy the K cups in bulk or on sale. "

+1 to this
Up here in Canada you can get them for 39.99 for a box of 80 cups at Costco
or 10.99 for 18 on a regular basis at most other retailers

As for the quality as we often quote on here.... YMMV

As my fellow Canadian can attest Tim Horton's has a following up here that borders on religion and IMO the coffee is nothing special to be sure

Last edited:
I make my coffee in a french press.

Along with wet shaving, it is part of my determination to extricate myself from the disposable world we now live in, and to distance myself from our culture of consumerism and the garbage it creates.

Without criticizing anyone personally, (free choice, blah blah blah and all that bit of rhetoric everyone feels compelled to write before giving an opinion...), I think that Keurig is a symbol of most of the things I don't like about our modern society, a few of those things being an acceptance of mediocrity, a fast and unfocused pace, and the creation of mounds and mounds of garbage.

my mom just bought one... my honest opinion is that i find myself brewing 4/6oz cups just so i can get something that resembles coffee. ill stick to my espresso machine tyvm

What is your opinion of the refillable k-cup as compared to something like an auto-drip, pour-over, or aeropress?

It definitely isn't nearly as good, can't get it quite as strong as I normally like it, but for the quick convenience before work (I stay in bed til the last minute) it's definitely a nice thing to have. When I want tea, I either empty a tea bag into the filter or loose-leaf and brew a quick cup.

I own a Cuisinart Keurig brewer that was rated far better than the Keurig branded makers. I am th eonly coffee dringker int he house so the Chi and chocolate is used by the wife and kids. This brand was purchased at Lowes and came with it own part if you want to grind your own beans.

IMO there is some crap coffee cups and some pretty decent cups. Check the ratings and try some varieties. ALSO I do have a french press but it isn't worth it for 1 cup.

I don't like all the trash they create.

I agree. This system seems to maximize the ratio of trash to coffee.

Also, I wonder how we've got to the point that all we can do is stick a prefab piece of coffee making material into a machine and press a button.

Also, I wonder how we've got to the point that all we can do is stick a prefab piece of coffee making material into a machine and press a button.

Something along the line of pressing a button to change the TV channel rather than walking across the room and turning a dial. Convenience in and of itself isn't a bad thing.

We have a Keurig machine at our house because my wife and I don't drink enough coffee to make it worth making a pot, or even half a pot, at a time. We buy the K-cups online at around $0.50 each. If anybody here comes from a world where fifty cents for a cup of coffee is too much to spend, you have my sincere sympathies - but in our house, the convenience of making a single cup, of the type you want (I drink decaf, she doesn't) more than justifies the expense.

Also, as it's been pointed out, the machine is great for making a glass of iced tea, herbal hot tea, cider, or cocoa. It works for us.

I hear there are quality control issues with the top of the line models and the lower tier models.

I have a middle of the road unit that's just as great after 12 months as it was on day one.

Love it.

You have to plan ahead and order your cups before you run out. The adapter is pish posh and will work in a pinch. If you have teabags it's like an on demand kettle.

Love it.

For me it's worth it. Will it replace my burr grinder and French Press No, but when I gotta run in the morning this thing is great. I do prefer using my own grounds v. the KCups though- the only KCups I really like are the Tully's brand.

I have a good friend who claims he got one because his wife and him only drink 1 cup each in the morning. I had to call BS. My girl friend and I are in the same boat and we simply brew half a pot. It is almost perfect for our mug sizes. If that was still more than we needed I would buy a 4cup brewer.

Long story short, he only got that thing b/c it looks fancy and a bunch of his friends had one.

Top Bottom