What's new

Keurig, kcups, .etc

Right, and in my opinion was a pain to clean. Grounds all over the sink since you couldn't knock enough out over the trash.

What I found worked the best for removing the k-cup grounds was to take the k-cup out as soon as it was done (hot so be careful), pop the lid, turn it upside down over a trash can and using the flat of my fingers tap the bottom of the cup. 90% seemed to fall out easily. The longer the cup sat after the brew the harder it was to remove the grounds.

I really do not like trying to re-invent the wheel.

I find coffee is best when prepared by the method it was intended for. I have tried all kinds and techniques even cold brewing which I have not seen mentioned here. Anyways I find a Kuerig (I have Breville) are best when used with k-cups, I do not like using a refillable filter like @turtle posted a pic of. K-cups work so much better.

A few of the ones I like
Donut shop extra bold not The Donut shop, Paul Newmans, Dark Magic, San Francisco bay French roast, Costco Pacific bold is ok

I will have to try some of the Peetes that gets so many rave reviews here

I do not mind the cost of k-cups, the only thing I will do is if I have a really bold one I like I sometimes may reuse it with using a #4 cone filter and add coffee to that so it runs through both k-cup and filter in cup below which works pretty good.
As you can see I have one of the refillable filters and have tried three different kinds with many a coffee that I like BUT it is not close to the real k-cups for me. I really want to try some of the Chock Full of Nuts k-cups but are not sold locally, I may just have to order online.
$WP_20150206_001.jpg

I do not like using a refillable filter like @turtle posted a pic of. K-cups work so much better.

I've never owed a Keurig. My sister does and so does my mother but they are on the other coast so I only use them when I visit.

Out of all the different brands of k-cup coffees I have not found one I can drink without milk and sugar to mask the taste.

I WILL drink coffee brewed in a Keurig when I am stranded at a location that ONLY has this for coffee (HEY it is much better than NO coffee) but I have not found any pre-packaged that I could say WOW this is nice. At best it is OK.

When I filled the refillable with the coffee I sent to my sister (Tanzanian pea berry I roasted the day I mailed it) the brewed coffee was nice and did not need masking. I think I could have gotten more out of my peaberry than what the Keurig did but there were no other options (k-cup or take out coffee).

After turning my sister on to "real" coffee she has not fired up her Keurig in a month. She does press coffee now :yesnod:

I'm surprised no one here has had problems with their Keurigs? We had the pump die on 3 different Keurigs. One barely got hot. After the third one I decided to look into other options.

I ended up buying the Bosch Tassimo. The build quality on the Bosch is way higher and from what I've read and what my wife has tried the coffee turns out a lot better than the Keurig.

The main down side is it doesn't have nearly the variety of cup flavors. But it does have actual liquid milk cups and steams awesome latte ' and hot chocolate!

I had the Bosch Tassimo which lasted me for around three years. Pretty good coffee but limited flavors if you go for that sort of coffee. You can get more of a selection if you order from Tassimo. After it died I switched to a Bunn My Cafe' which had several different dispensers (4)where you could use with pods, k-cups, loose coffee or tea, or just for heating water. Great system and the product was hotter than what Keurig dispenses. Lots of complaints about that! Had a problem with it today and almost bought online an iCoffee Opus single coffee maker with many favorable reviews. I did get my Bunn machine working again though.

In saying all that, I do prefer my AeroPress for my coffee! Better tasting coffee IMO. I take it camping for making my coffee before fishing. The single coffee makers are for the wife and if I am being particularly lazy that day.

Mike

I had the Bosch Tassimo which lasted me for around three years. Pretty good coffee but limited flavors if you go for that sort of coffee. You can get more of a selection if you order from Tassimo. After it died I switched to a Bunn My Cafe' which had several different dispensers (4)where you could use with pods, k-cups, loose coffee or tea, or just for heating water. Great system and the product was hotter than what Keurig dispenses. Lots of complaints about that! Had a problem with it today and almost bought online an iCoffee Opus single coffee maker with many favorable reviews. I did get my Bunn machine working again though.

In saying all that, I do prefer my AeroPress for my coffee! Better tasting coffee IMO. I take it camping for making my coffee before fishing. The single coffee makers are for the wife and if I am being particularly lazy that day.

Mike

+1 on the Bunn My Cafe

After having two Keurig's die on me in the past three years, I was fed up with them, and as others have mentioned the brew really isn't that great.

The Bunn is a great unit. Very versatile and does a nice job with grounds.

If you look closely you can see the two Keurigs hanging their heads in shame:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423799431.157980.jpg

I'm surprised no one here has had problems with their Keurigs? We had the pump die on 3 different Keurigs. One barely got hot. After the third one I decided to look into other options.

I ended up buying the Bosch Tassimo. The build quality on the Bosch is way higher and from what I've read and what my wife has tried the coffee turns out a lot better than the Keurig.

The main down side is it doesn't have nearly the variety of cup flavors. But it does have actual liquid milk cups and steams awesome latte ' and hot chocolate!

I had one for maybe a year and a half before it started making a pool of water on the counter because there was an internal leak. After reading a number of examples where Kuerig did good will replacements out of warranty (the money is in selling the K cups), I called to see about mine. All they offered was to sell me another for like $120, or more than I could buy one for at Kohls or Costco.

At that point I was down on the quality of the machine, didn't like the trash from the K cups, and wondered why I wasn't just using the Melitta for a single cup. I almost never used the Kuerig for anything but coffee, as my wife said tea tasted like coffee. What I really needed was a way to make a whole pot.

So I put the money I'd spend on a new Kuerig toward a Technivorm Moccamaster, which while expensive, is hight quality and should hopefully last a long time. I gave my parents the rest of my kcups.

For my gadget itch, I might get a Nespresso one of these days.

@turtle

When I bought my Breville, I also bought one for my mom and that was when they first came out and she lives in an area where selection for k-cups was almost non existent. Now this became her preferred method for coffee and she would reuse a k-cup or reheat coffee in the microwave, both of which are tabu for me. I did get her a few refillable filters because she was losing them, I think they ended up in the trash a couple of times.

My first cup of the day is always a cappuccino and subsequent ones are from a k-cup 2-3 total for most days. I have a couple of presses also, one being a poly-carbonate one which I take camping or to hotels.

I do find the k-cups work the most consistently with these brewers, not that the refillables do not work, just not as well but I have enjoyed coffee with them as well.

And since my first cup is a cappuccino you guessed it, I do not like my coffee black but I do like it intense with cream and Stevia.

After seeing a few negative comments about the Kuerig brewers build quality, I have to say that Breville really makes good stuff and the build quality is excellent on the Breville that I posted a pic of above is the nicest looking unit I have seen, it really looks nice in a kitchen with a stainless refrig, the Delonghi does not come close.

Last edited:
I've had a Keurig for many years and I buy the k-cups from Amazon or Costco in 75-100 pack. I normally only use the Keurig in the morning while I'm making coffee via French Press to take to work. I like strong coffee so the flavor is weak after the first couple of size settings. I also use when I need hot water for tea.

If my current one breaks, I will not move to the 2.0 and not be able to use the refillable baskets.

I got a Keurig machine for Christmas. The Keurig Classic. I also have four refillable K Cups for it. Once the novelty of it wore off, I found it was basically a great way to take up a huge amount of counter space. I did buy an initial supply of K Cups with the machine, but none of those tasted quite right to me. Almost like the coffee was too weak, and not bold enough.

The K Cups are also way too expensive for my budget, so I have no plan to buy anymore.

I have found, that I can make far more delicious coffee with my ceramic #2 cone filter pour over, and it takes roughly the same amount of time, with less fuss in cleanup (the refillable K Cups being fussy to clean).

I've had a Keurig for many years and I buy the k-cups from Amazon or Costco in 75-100 pack. I normally only use the Keurig in the morning while I'm making coffee via French Press to take to work. I like strong coffee so the flavor is weak after the first couple of size settings. I also use when I need hot water for tea.

If my current one breaks, I will not move to the 2.0 and not be able to use the refillable baskets.
They make 2.0 reusable baskets now. The new 2.0 are much better at producing a stronger cup of coffee. I myself prefer a press but when I'm in a hurry or lazy I just use my 2.0, it actually has a STRONG function on it which makes a huge difference. I really dislike the older keurig versions, never could get a strong enough cup. Tasted too much like hotel coffee.

They make 2.0 reusable baskets now. The new 2.0 are much better at producing a stronger cup of coffee. I myself prefer a press but when I'm in a hurry or lazy I just use my 2.0, it actually has a STRONG function on it which makes a huge difference. I really dislike the older keurig versions, never could get a strong enough cup. Tasted too much like hotel coffee.

I have the previous generation Keurig and what I dislike the most is the lack of strong coffee. Thanks for the info...are the pods larger? How does it make a stronger cup of coffee if the pods are the same size as the current ones?

I have the previous generation Keurig and what I dislike the most is the lack of strong coffee. Thanks for the info...are the pods larger? How does it make a stronger cup of coffee if the pods are the same size as the current ones?
Pods are same size but the brewing time is slower when you select the strong setting on the setup screen before brewing. The 2.0 is more individualized for all the different types of cups, such as lattes, teas, Carafe cups, all have different settings. Much better than the old ones. I would say the cups they produce are equal to what I brew in the Bunn autodrip. They definitely improved with the 2.0, like I say though still prefer pressed coffee but I find myself using the 2.0 a lot more than the old keurig, and moreso than my bunn autodrip.

I went from indifferent towards Keurig to animosity when the 2.0 system came out because it added a way to block old and "unlicensed" k-cups. Even though there are workarounds now available, it really annoys me because Keurig didn't even pretend to innovate until their patent on the cups expired. A year after that happens and suddenly you can control coffee strength and make a small pot - where were these ideas 5 or more years ago?!

I have the same anger towards the inkjet market that started putting barcodes on their machines to prevent you from buying third-party ink or using refill services.

Top Bottom