What's new

Keurig, kcups, .etc

It seems that these things are everywhere- I have been victimized by them countless times while traveling or on family visits. The only cup that is even passably drinkable I have found is the San Fransisco brand pods or kups or whatever you call them. How much harder is it to grind some beans and do a pour over and get a great cup and at 1/3 the price even with premium beans?

Amen to that.

Here is my take on the Keurigs.

1. The Good
Great in an office environment where people have different tastes. An affordable way of accommodating different preferences. Great for clients as you can offer coffee, decaf, hot chocolate, tea, etc all from one unit.

2. The Bad
More expensive than a single pot of coffee. Since I am the only coffee drinker at home - it is more affordable to just make myself a pot of decaf.

Some poor coffee choices. Some of the units I have found only had Starbucks and Van Houtte coffee which I don't like.

3. The Ugly
Keurig 2.0 won't brew 3rd party pods, forcing you to only buy their high price ones. Disposal can be an environmental issue.

Overall

I like it in the office environment or for entertaining but not for my day to day pot of coffee. I am concerned at their action to lock down the new versions to stop 3rd party pods.

I refuse to use kcups. We still use the old school Italian espresso maker on the stove :)
I have a Bialetti ZanZiBar, but have still not tried it out. Any tips that I should know about.

Attachments

• $zzb2.jpg
    $zzb2.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 125
  • $zzb.jpg
    $zzb.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
I'm not going to get into it here lest I get in trouble but THAT isn't a problem anymore :thumbup1:

There are ways to override the system

(Got a 2.0 for Christmas, and the first thing I did was google keurig 2.0 hack).

Other than that trying to figure out how to get it to give me my cup of coffee the flavor I want it.

I was a fan of the Keurig when we first got one for the convenience but the flavor/strength isn't there for me. The k-cups are way too expensive in the long run. My family still uses the Keurig with the refillable basket for the coffee grounds and we keep a small assortment of K-cups on hand for guests who prefer something other than what I brew by the pot. I prefer my coffee from the drip coffee maker. Truthfully, I thought the Keurig would be just a fad but its lasted longer than I thought.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I was a fan of the Keurig when we first got one for the convenience but the flavor/strength isn't there for me. The k-cups are way too expensive in the long run. My family still uses the Keurig with the refillable basket for the coffee grounds and we keep a small assortment of K-cups on hand for guests who prefer something other than what I brew by the pot. I prefer my coffee from the drip coffee maker. Truthfully, I thought the Keurig would be just a fad but its lasted longer than I thought.
Many Americans will sacrifice money and quality for convenience.

I know i have. I really am not a strong coffee drinker, and find many kcups to be too strong for me, believe it or not.

Substitute "old/stale" for "strong" and you are on the right track.

Get a "fill it yourself" k-cup and start using fresh coffee. I did this for my sister when I was out visiting her a few months ago. Now she won't touch any of her pre-filled k-cups and starts jonsing when she gets down to under a half bag of fresh roasted beans.

Grind between drip and press for the best taste with a Keurig

proxy.php

Get a "fill it yourself" k-cup and start using fresh coffee. I did this for my sister when I was out visiting her a few months ago. Now she won't touch any of her pre-filled k-cups and starts jonsing when she gets down to under a half bag of fresh roasted beans.

proxy.php

Just started doing this myself this week!

proxy.php

We did this for years, even before I started roasting my own coffee last summer. It's the only way to go if you have a Keurig.

I have them, but have the 2.0 Keurig. Waiting on a 'Freedom Clip' to switch to them. I love my DD, but cannot get it in kcup.

Keurig is a good brewing system as long as you use good coffee.

I had no complaints using the one that my Mom or sister had as long as I used my roasted beans in them.

All of the "grocery store" (starbucks, trader joes, emerald, etc) were bitter and way off. Old coffee taste like old coffee regardless of what name is on the box of cups.

My complaint with the idea of reusable K-cups is that they are have to be cleaned - if you are going to do that, why not a regular drip pot, if not a French press and the same fresh coffee?

My complaint with the idea of reusable K-cups is that they are have to be cleaned - if you are going to do that, why not a regular drip pot, if not a French press and the same fresh coffee?

Right, and in my opinion was a pain to clean. Grounds all over the sink since you couldn't knock enough out over the trash.

My pour over might take a minute or so longer, but I just turn it upside down over the trash and the cone filter falls out with all the grounds. Rinse it off and I'm done.

Right, and in my opinion was a pain to clean. Grounds all over the sink since you couldn't knock enough out over the trash.

My pour over might take a minute or so longer, but I just turn it upside down over the trash and the cone filter falls out with all the grounds. Rinse it off and I'm done.

Don't most modern kitchen faucets have a sprayer making the cleanup an easy process? Melitta also makes a new k cup system for using your own grounds that uses little disposable paper filters.

Top Bottom