What's new

Keurig, kcups, .etc

A few years ago I remember my mom having one, and I thought it was just a novelty item. Then almost 4 years ago I started working for Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR). Unknown to most, GMCR had actually bought Keurig out many years ago. Up until about a year ago they continued to pretty much run as two separate business entities. Within the past year the two have essentially merged, and now both are known as Keurig Green Mountain. Now some of you may be wondering what I'm getting at, and here it is:

Being an employee, I get several perks such as discounted brewers, free coffee (bag,kcup, vcup...etc), and so forth. In the first couple of months I learned A LOT about the coffee process, and how they package the kcups. I started trying the coffee here and there, and eventually bought a brewer at half price. Eventually I stopped using bag coffee, stopped going to coffee shops, and anything like that. I now only use a Keurig for coffee (most of the time).

Were it not for the free kcups I get, I would be either broke or in severe withdrawals. I go to walmart and other store, and cringe at the prices for kcups. I tried using the drop in filter but found myself angry after a few days because the coffee got stale. I tried all sorts of things, but kept coming back to kcups.... the free part was the biggest kicker. After trying around 40 different versions, I found one I love... Tullys Hawaiian Blend.

I am a keurig snob, and to be honest I've tried other types of brewers and coffee and found 99% to taste like crap compare to the consistency I get from a keurig.

Anyways I just wanted to share, and if anyone has any questions about the coffee or the brewer I'll try to answer them. Just keep in mind my answers are my own opinion and not an official response from KGM.

Last edited:
What is your opinion on shelf life of these k-cups. Meaning can you tell the difference between one that was relatively newly packed, versus one that is near it's sell-by-date (drink-by-date?), versus one that has been stored for too long and past it's sell-by-date?

It seems that these things are everywhere- I have been victimized by them countless times while traveling or on family visits. The only cup that is even passably drinkable I have found is the San Fransisco brand pods or kups or whatever you call them. How much harder is it to grind some beans and do a pour over and get a great cup and at 1/3 the price even with premium beans?

What is your opinion on shelf life of these k-cups. Meaning can you tell the difference between one that was relatively newly packed, versus one that is near it's sell-by-date (drink-by-date?), versus one that has been stored for too long and past it's sell-by-date?

I've had some fresh, and some past their BUBD "Best Used By Date". Honestly I've noticed no real difference. The BUBD is a conservative suggestion and one that's required for SQF certification. So the cups are honestly still good past those dates.

The method of packaging used is such that oxygen is displaced from the cup, and then the cup is sealed via the lid. Every few minutes several samples are pulled, and tested for seal leaks and oxygen levels. If either fail, the line is stopped. The several cups are tested again. Being on the maintenance end of things, I've had times where we have spent several hours fixing such issues so that the cups were back to standard again. Because of the packaging process, the coffee maintains its "freshness" for an extended period and from cup to cup the quality is same.

It seems that these things are everywhere- I have been victimized by them countless times while traveling or on family visits. The only cup that is even passably drinkable I have found is the San Fransisco brand pods or kups or whatever you call them. How much harder is it to grind some beans and do a pour over and get a great cup and at 1/3 the price even with premium beans?

Not to much harder. There are several drop in filter options that allow you to do bag coffee etc. I understand the cost issue some folks have. Your honest best bet for premium do it yourself coffee, is to have a roaster and grinder in your home. I say this because once the roasted coffee is exposed to air it begins to degrade. The unground roasted bean will last longer, but will still degrade after a while. Another benefit to the do it yourself, is you don't have to wait for it to degas before packaging it. So you literally get fresh roasted/ground coffee.

This past monday they launched for sale, the Keurig 2.0. This new system still allows you to brew a single serving using the kcup, but it also allows you to brew several cups using the included carafe. Other than what's on their website, I don't know a lot about them. They didn't tell us much prior to the release and in fact they didn't even tell us about the inclusion of the carafe.

Some have noted the extra waste caused by the leftover kcups and I know they are working on a recyclable version like the vue cups. However the larger carafe cups are recyclable. Either way, KGM has strived to reduce landfill waste all around and they aim for zero percent from the plants. While I know it's not possible to have zero waste, the plant I work at does have very little. They reuse/reclaim/recycle everything they can. Even the chaff that comes off the green bean is collected and reused as a form of fuel and other things.

While I am vested in the company because I work there, I'm not easily sold on things. In my tenure there, I can honestly say that they are one of the best food related companies I've ever worked for.

Last edited:
I tried the Peet's Major D something blend recently - I like it.

Thanks for the share, I've never heard of them before. I'm assuming from looking at their website, they roast/grind/package their own stuff but I may be wrong. Next time you see it again, take a picture of the info printed on the box (BUBD..etc) or on the cup.

I've had some fresh, and some past their BUBD "Best Used By Date". Honestly I've noticed no real difference. The BUBD is a conservative suggestion and one that's required for SQF certification. So the cups are honestly still good past those dates.

The method of packaging used is such that oxygen is displaced from the cup, and then the cup is sealed via the lid. Every few minutes several samples are pulled, and tested for seal leaks and oxygen levels. If either fail, the line is stopped. The several cups are tested again. Being on the maintenance end of things, I've had times where we have spent several hours fixing such issues so that the cups were back to standard again. Because of the packaging process, the coffee maintains its "freshness" for an extended period and from cup to cup the quality is same.

Not to much harder. There are several drop in filter options that allow you to do bag coffee etc. I understand the cost issue some folks have. Your honest best bet for premium do it yourself coffee, is to have a roaster and grinder in your home. I say this because once the roasted coffee is exposed to air it begins to degrade. The unground roasted bean will last longer, but will still degrade after a while. Another benefit to the do it yourself, is you don't have to wait for it to degas before packaging it. So you literally get fresh roasted/ground coffee.

This past monday they launched for sale, the Keurig 2.0. This new system still allows you to brew a single serving using the kcup, but it also allows you to brew several cups using the included carafe. Other than what's on their website, I don't know a lot about them. They didn't tell us much prior to the release and in fact they didn't even tell us about the inclusion of the carafe.

Some have noted the extra waste caused by the leftover kcups and I know they are working on a recyclable version like the vue cups. However the larger carafe cups are recyclable. Either way, KGM has strived to reduce landfill waste all around and they aim for zero percent from the plants. While I know it's not possible to have zero waste, the plant I work at does have very little. They reuse/reclaim/recycle everything they can. Even the chaff that comes off the green bean is collected and reused as a form of fuel and other things.

While I am vested in the company because I work there, I'm not easily sold on things. In my tenure there, I can honestly say that they are one of the best food related companies I've ever worked for.

Love my Keurig machine (still using a k70). Like the idea of the carafe on the Keurig 2.0 but will hold off on that until there are more carafe capsules available (especially my favorite Italian roast).

I am all for capitalism and congrats to Keurig/Green Mountain for creating this niche. However, at 70 cents per cup, it's just too expensive for me. I'll stick with my old drip coffee maker.

I'm a big fan of our Keurig. Yes, the pods are more expensive than traditional drip coffee. But they are WAY less costly than Starbucks or similar. But the biggest plus for our Keurig is it allows my wife and I to both enjoy our coffee. She likes to drink something that reminds me of coffee colored hot water. I prefer a strong, bold cup that reaches out of my mug and slaps me across the face in the morning. We'd be brewing 2 different pots and storing 2 different coffees without the Keurig. With it, we each buy our k-cups and go from there.

We tend to purchase the Kcups from Bed Bath and Beyond using the 20% coupons they so frequently offer. Though we have considered doing the mail order service. Of course, if the OP would like to send me some of his free Kcups, we'd be happy to use them as well. :)

My Keurig machine ruined me on all other coffee. I'm pretty frugal and dont purchase any K-cups that cost more than 50 cents each. I am often able to find what I want for 35 cents or less (per cup) on sale.
I like dark roast, really rich and bold coffee. The closer to espresso the better. I have found a few that I really enjoy. I brew a cup from home every morning. I rarely have a second cup of coffee in a day, but If I ever refilll my cup at work (non-keurig), it's like I'm just drinking stale hot water. Regular coffee has absolutely no flavor to me now. I love my Keurig.

I am all for capitalism and congrats to Keurig/Green Mountain for creating this niche. However, at 70 cents per cup, it's just too expensive for me. I'll stick with my old drip coffee maker.

When my last brewer died, I used an old percolater for a few days until the new one arrived. I popped a few kcups open for the grounds and it worked pretty good.

Once or twice a week I make coffee in my keurig. I have a filter basket I fill with Pete's major D whole bean and dump it in my black and decker burr coffee mill. Grind it and dump the grounds back into the filter basket. Assemble and brew. Then clean the basket and drain. It's the best cup I will have all day. I just wish the process was streamlined more. I think that Other than fresh roast in a French press you won't get a better cup. You guys do a good job! Thanks from us that rely on coffee to get thru the day.

I think K-cups are a welcomed and profitable market segment as well, giving the consumer another option. While some people value the extra convenience, unfortunately others do not understand what it takes to make good home brewed coffee and like the ease of use these machines provide.

But overall I think this quote from the NY Times article: With Coffee, the Price of Individualism Can Be High, sums it up the economics pretty well:
“Americans under the age of 40 are thinking about coffee pricing in cups,” said Ric Rhinehart, executive director of the Specialty Coffee Association of America. “If you asked my mother how much coffee cost, she would have told you that the red can was $5.25 a pound and the blue can was $4.25. If you ask people in their 20s and 30s, they’ll say coffee is $1.75 to $3.75 a cup.”

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
We got one at work. Anytime we have expired kcups we put one or two boxes in the break room.
So maybe it's because I've only tasted expired kcups...but I don't like the coffee. Donut Shop I think it is.

For my home it would not be cost effective. And even if I did my own in the reusable kcup I think I'd rather invest the time in french press or pour over.

It is very convenient though. Really simple to use. I can understand why it's so popular. It's till a novelty in my eyes.

I have a Keurig at my house and use it every day. I mostly buy my own coffee and use the reusable filter, but still buy some Kcups. I like the Donut shop and Folgers Black Silk are two of my favorite. It works for me mainly because I have cut my coffee consumption way back. I usually only drink one, maybe two cups, in a day. And it would be a waste for to brew a whole pot.

Last edited:
I received a Keurig machine as a Holiday present from my work. I like the Newman's Own Special Blend Kcups, which I can get in bulk at Costco. It is very convenient for a quick cup of decent coffee.

My main issue with the Keurig is that the coffee tastes watered down to me on anything but the smallest cup size, so if I wanted to make a larger cup of coffee, I need to use 2 pods.

My in-laws have one. Very surprised they do have one. Doesn't seem like their style, but they like it. And it makes a pretty good cup of coffee. I can't recall what kind of kcups they use, though.

We got one at work. Anytime we have expired kcups we put one or two boxes in the break room.
So maybe it's because I've only tasted expired kcups...but I don't like the coffee. Donut Shop I think it is.

For my home it would not be cost effective. And even if I did my own in the reusable kcup I think I'd rather invest the time in french press or pour over.

It is very convenient though. Really simple to use. I can understand why it's so popular. It's till a novelty in my eyes.

My wife loves the Donut House which is similar to the Donut Shop, but I hate it. It taste like poo to me. I had to try several before I found the ones I like and the ones I hate. Again the expire date is simply for SQF certification and is conservative date, and also because it's a consumable the FDA requires it to prevent the consumer from getting bad stuff.

I received a Keurig machine as a Holiday present from my work. I like the Newman's Own Special Blend Kcups, which I can get in bulk at Costco. It is very convenient for a quick cup of decent coffee.

My main issue with the Keurig is that the coffee tastes watered down to me on anything but the smallest cup size, so if I wanted to make a larger cup of coffee, I need to use 2 pods.

I would suggest the following kcups because they have nearly double the grounds:

Revv, and any of the Barista Prima.

Top Bottom