What's new

Ketogenic Diet?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
starting with the typical North American diet and switching to a keto diet we would ... dramatically increase the veggies in our diet

I guess that depends on what you take to be the "typical NA diet". Veggies are essentially carbs and fibre, and keto is very low carbs ... so you have to be very low veggie ... but ... but ... you need some and have to make sure they are the "right" ones.

... and change the kinds of fats we eat. I think most of us get plenty of fat now...no need to increase it much more. Still learning about keto...

Keep reading and learning about keto ... the key is that eating fat does not make you fat. In fact, eating fat is healthy and makes you burn fat. Of course, we are talking about healthy fats (avocados, nuts, cheese, butter, MCT oil, salmon, sardines, prime rib, bacon) rather than unhealthy fatty fast food ... pizza, fries, burgers, and so forth ... that people eat way too much of.

I guess that depends on what you take to be the "typical NA diet". Veggies are essentially carbs and fibre, and keto is very low carbs ... so you have to be very low veggie ... but ... but ... you need some and have to make sure they are the "right" ones.

Keep reading and learning about keto ... the key is that eating fat does not make you fat. In fact, eating fat is healthy and makes you burn fat. Of course, we are talking about healthy fats (avocados, nuts, cheese, butter, MCT oil, salmon, sardines, prime rib, bacon) rather than unhealthy fatty fast food ... pizza, fries, burgers, and so forth ... that people eat way too much of.
True enough on the veggies. Many popular veggies are just packed with carbs...eg potatoes, carrots, etc. I should have been more specific and said low carb veggies like kale, spinach, Swiss chard, celery, broccoli, etc.

Rog - on the fats. Ensure they are the "good" fats. We do eat way too much fat now but it is in processed crap: partially hydrogenated fats; high-fructose corn syrup; saturated fats; etc. Ditch those and you will find yourself drinking olive oil; avocado oil; walnut oil; etc. I use coconut oil for everything. I'd rub it on the dog if I could get the big lug to hold still.

As far as the veggies - you subtract the raw fiber from the caloric count so you don't get too much into the carbs when all is said and done. You must leave off the spuds (IIRC sweet-potato's are OK(?)), white rice; basically the dense hi-carb tubers.

There's also some caution on fruits so far as the sugar content but to be honest, I haven't gone that far into the weeds on this and I do eat some fruit. Alcohol is also a big no-no but I refuse to give up my nightly glass of red wine. I "justify" it on other health "benefits" and I occasionally imbibe some small-batch Bourbon. I suffered no ill-effects from these but strictly-speaking, if I rely upon pee-test strips, it keeps me from really getting into ketosis, but I still lose weight and achieve the benefits I want, albeit maybe not as fast.

Again, I was a bit hesitant to open my last blood work last week as I've been a bit cheating on this the last month or so. But, the blood work was excellent. Hard to argue with success.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
My wife and I have been having smoothies for years. Generally we knew we were heading more towards carbs with slow absorption rates. More recently we started using coconut oil for stir frying and our morning eggs. We gifted ourselves a Vitamix blender for Christmas . . . it seems we were headed this way.

I was reading some discussion between Doc4 and dangerousdon that got me interested in the research supporting this way of eating. This eventually lead me to an interview of Dr. Terry Wahls by Dr. Rohnda Patrick.

This is a story about someone who seems to have reversed the course of MS. Well this hit home as my wife was diagnosed with MS back in 1996. People are all built differently and the course of MS is different for everybody so I'm far far far from thinking this will be some sort of a miracle cure . . . but what if we eat this way, loose weight a bit, and even slow the advance of MS even a bit. That's gotta be a win.

We have committed to following "The Wahls Protocol" which is a pretty strict version of the paleo diet.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm far far far from thinking this will be some sort of a miracle cure . . . but what if we eat this way, loose weight a bit, and even slow the advance of MS even a bit. That's gotta be a win.

We have committed to following "The Wahls Protocol" which is a pretty strict version of the paleo diet.

Congrats on the improvements in your diet, and good luck with this new diet for the future.

@Doc4 I started taking MCT oil Wednesday. Oh my insides are not happy.

How long does it take to adapt? I'm only taking 1 T with my coffee but I'm thinking about scaling back

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

How long does it take to adapt? I'm only taking 1 T with my coffee but I'm thinking about scaling back
My first couple times were rough. Evened out soon, as I recall. Use the blender to mix the coffee, mct, and butter.

My first couple times were rough. Evened out soon, as I recall. Use the blender to mix the coffee, mct, and butter.

Okay..question here...since I have you gents...and some others...that seem very knowledgeable on the subject...

Why use MCT oil? Why not just coconut oil? I thought coconut oil contains MCTs. Is there something in coconut oil that I shouldn't be using it? Just curious.

ON THE HOMEFRONT: While my wife isn't jumping on the Keto train quite yet, she is in full support of this. She has been researching it herself and joining keto cooking groups. I just bought her an Instapot for Christmas and she already has a week of meals planned out for me.

Speaking of the Instapot...how convenient will this be to make my own bone broth!

I am actually waiting in anticipation for when I can start this. Yeah I know I can do this whenever I want, but I really want to get my blood work done first. Which will be done sometime next week.

I have many other questions but I will wait for these to be answered first.

My wife and I have been having smoothies for years. Generally we knew we were heading more towards carbs with slow absorption rates. More recently we started using coconut oil for stir frying and our morning eggs. We gifted ourselves a Vitamix blender for Christmas . . . it seems we were headed this way.

I was reading some discussion between Doc4 and dangerousdon that got me interested in the research supporting this way of eating. This eventually lead me to an interview of Dr. Terry Wahls by Dr. Rohnda Patrick.

This is a story about someone who seems to have reversed the course of MS. Well this hit home as my wife was diagnosed with MS back in 1996. People are all built differently and the course of MS is different for everybody so I'm far far far from thinking this will be some sort of a miracle cure . . . but what if we eat this way, loose weight a bit, and even slow the advance of MS even a bit. That's gotta be a win.

Mike! Hopefully your research will lead to wonderful results with your wife! I will make sure I say a prayer that it does.

It's interesting how we find out about and then start doing our own research on certain topics!

I chose this brand because of its composition of C8 and C10 and because it does not use hexane in the manufacturing process.

IMG_7376.JPG
I'm not very knowledgeable. I seem to be learning as I go along by trial and error. But I decided to try MCT oil because supposedly it has two differences. First it's more concentrated. Coconut oil has upwards of 65% MCT whereas MCT oil is 100%. Second is the types of MCTs. MCT oil has shorter chains of MCT that are supposed to be utilized faster and more efficiently by the body. This guy has a decent explanation

Doc4. I skip the butter in the coffee because I didn't like the taste. Coconut oil has no flavor but seems to make the coffee richer. I tried a little less MCT oil in the coffee this morning to see if my intestines mellow out a little. It appears to be a side effect across the board from what I've read.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'd normally post this in the Mess Hall. I think this fits. Cauliflower rice and left over strips of cabbage from a slaw I had for lunch. Cooked some onions added some chicken and curry paste.
Dinner.jpg

@Alacrity59 that looks pretty tasty. I've grown to appreciate cauliflower rice especially when I make something with a good sauce or gravy. It's much better now that Costco started selling big bags of it because shredding cauliflower is a big ole mess

This is pretty typical for me. Leftover roast chicken chopped and reheated topped with a couple scoops of pesto sauce and feta cheese. Don't forget the avocado!

IMG_7282.JPG

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Hidden Sugars. Who would do this to us? I did check, nothing sweet listed. I did have a piece of cake as it was my birthday. Huge Costco cake. Going in the garbage now.

The evil, evil food industry.

proxy.php

"total carbs" - "fibre" = "net carbs"

proxy.php

Well from the ingredients list I see canola oil and sugar as the biggest offenders. However, even though it says less than 2% of...the cornstarch and dextrose could be cause for concern also.

Top Bottom