What's new

Ketogenic Diet?

And one word of warning. The keto diet did make me fail my annual work physical. Apparently they don't like ketones in your urine. I had no idea. So I had to go off the diet for a couple days and then give another urine sample. All good. :001_302:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
And one word of warning. The keto diet did make me fail my annual work physical. Apparently they don't like ketones in your urine. I had no idea. So I had to go off the diet for a couple days and then give another urine sample. All good. :001_302:
And don't eat anything with poppy seeds either. :laugh:

I appreciate your concern...I really do. But first of all...I am likely not top do this if my doctor says "No Way Jose." Plus everything that I have read suggests that High protein diets are stressful on your kidneys. But more important to my situation...hypertension and elevated blood sugars are even more harmful to my kidneys. "IF" I do this...I don't believe it will be a permanent solution...but a temporary measure to get me where I need to be.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
fat people talking to me about diet and nutrition.

proxy.php

Luckily the diet is consistent with my palate so I don't have strong cravings for things like donuts and chips etc. I do miss pizza though.

There are products out there that allow you to enjoy a "keto-friendly" version of what typically is a very un-keto food ... but I find these to usually involve a lot of effort to squeeze a square peg into a round hole. Better to just find what is actually a good ketotengic diet food and enjoy that!

One exception to that, for me, is finding a milk replacement. I have a small bowl of All-Bran on a regular basis, and what with milk being on the "naughty list", I substitute almond milk.

Ketosis can be bad for the kidneys.

Can you link to any medical reasearch for that claim? I obviously don't want to be following a diet, or encouraging others to follow a diet, that is harmful. Thanks.

Can you link to any medical reasearch for that claim? I obviously don't want to be following a diet, or encouraging others to follow a diet, that is harmful. Thanks.
I'm not saying I did a tremendous amount of research in this, but when I tried to find actual scientific or medical articles/papers...there are some...but not a lot. There is a ton of peered reviewed medical and scientific journals and papers out there that do express the results from a Ketogenic Diet. I am definitely not saying that kidney issues can't arise...but I'm not seeing a ton of stuff on kidney issues though...at least nothing that links or references works of science.

Again...this is why I will be consulting my doctor and going to her every three months.

@Doc4 I watched about a third of that podcast. I have only watched about a third of it so far...but it is supper interesting!

I think he may have mistook your comment about "high protein" diets being stressful on your kidneys(?)

So did you decide to do it? I'm at my goal weight now so I'm going to just try to maintain. I'm doing carb ups every other weekend now and I may try intermittent fasting as I go into a low carb phase rather than a strict keto diet.

Not sure about the keto diet, personally I don't know much about it. But I have been on weight watchers for a year now and have lost 85 pounds. It is sustainable and allows me to occasionally eat foods I really enjoy pizza for example. I chose to make a lifestyle change not a quick fix. I still have some weight to drop, but weight watchers changed my life.

I think he may have mistook your comment about "high protein" diets being stressful on your kidneys(?)

So did you decide to do it? I'm at my goal weight now so I'm going to just try to maintain. I'm doing carb ups every other weekend now and I may try intermittent fasting as I go into a low carb phase rather than a strict keto diet.

I am 99% sure I am going to give this a try. I go to get blood drawn for labs the first week of the year. I want kind of a baseline (though I could use my results from blood work from the last time I went) to know what my levels are. I will likely start it that day. Just seems like a good time to start. I'll go to my doctor a week later and we will discuss this then. Baring something like her telling me that something catastrophic could happen...I want to give this an honest try. I'll go back in three months and get blood work done again. I would like to stay on this a minimum of six months before I make any kind of decision to quit.

Not sure about the keto diet, personally I don't know much about it. But I have been on weight watchers for a year now and have lost 85 pounds. It is sustainable and allows me to occasionally eat foods I really enjoy pizza for example. I chose to make a lifestyle change not a quick fix. I still have some weight to drop, but weight watchers changed my life.

Thanks Chad! My reasons for trying the Ketogenic Diet go beyond weight loss...though admittedly, this is the main reason. But I keep reading medical articles and actual peered reviewed scientific and medical reports that show actual research and in some cases proof that this type of diet is a cancer deterrent, increases brain function, helps the body heal wounds from the inside out faster, is a cure for epilepsy, reduces cholesterol, and so much more. But what really got my attention is how well people who have insulin sensitivities (which I do...I am not diabetic...but I am guessing that I am not for from it) do on this.

Yeah..I have been doing a LOT of looking into this. There is some bad info out there on this also...but I guess that is like most things.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I am 99% sure I am going to give this a try. I go to get blood drawn for labs the first week of the year. I want kind of a baseline (though I could use my results from blood work from the last time I went) to know what my levels are. I will likely start it that day. Just seems like a good time to start. I'll go to my doctor a week later and we will discuss this then. Baring something like her telling me that something catastrophic could happen...I want to give this an honest try. I'll go back in three months and get blood work done again. I would like to stay on this a minimum of six months before I make any kind of decision to quit.

Thanks Chad! My reasons for trying the Ketogenic Diet go beyond weight loss...though admittedly, this is the main reason. But I keep reading medical articles and actual peered reviewed scientific and medical reports that show actual research and in some cases proof that this type of diet is a cancer deterrent, increases brain function, helps the body heal wounds from the inside out faster, is a cure for epilepsy, reduces cholesterol, and so much more. But what really got my attention is how well people who have insulin sensitivities (which I do...I am not diabetic...but I am guessing that I am not for from it) do on this.

Yeah..I have been doing a LOT of looking into this. There is some bad info out there on this also...but I guess that is like most things.
I like your idea of going on this meal plan (don't use the word diet), and following it up with lab work to see how it is working or not. You'll be our Guinea pig Don.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I am an insulin dependent diabetic (type 1) and the way I eat is this: I eat very few carbs!

I stay away from whites: rice, taters, sugar

I eat veggies that grow above the ground.
Of course there is some cheating.

When I am being strict my insulin usage is almost nothing. Add in daily brisk walks or runs and WOW!!

When I “cheat” I need huge bolus doses of insulin and my basal rate doubles and sometimes triples!

All this just tells me that my body does not process carbs well.
As a bonus, low carb makes maintaining an “ideal” weight very simple.
Not saying it works for everyone but I can say that it’s a no brainer for me to eat low carb
marty

@dangerousdon Get after it!! Take pics. I didn't think about recording my progress until I was already 10 days into it. You're doing way more research than I did before starting. I went into it with only a general understanding but learned a whole lot as I went along.

Three things I wish I knew before I started: 1) importance of knowing the different types of magnesium supplements, 2) I can't see how you can do the diet without avocados, and 3) the first rule of the ketogenic diet is to not tell any friends/coworkers that you're on the ketogenic diet. Believe me. No matter what diet/workout/weightlifting regimen you adopt, you're sure to come across at least one guy who's gonna crap all over it. Keep your head up man!

There are some unexpected side-benefits of the diet that I didn't know about until I started (benefits other than weight loss). I'm interested in seeing whether you experience them as well. Everyone is different.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I can't see how you can do the diet without avocados

I haven't eaten an avocado in months. That said, I can't see how you can do the diet without ...
  • MCT oil
  • cheese
  • walnuts
  • peanut butter ... on cheddar (my favourite, believe it or not.)

the first rule of the ketogenic diet is to not tell any friends/coworkers that you're on the ketogenic diet. Believe me. No matter what diet/workout/weightlifting regimen you adopt, you're sure to come across at least one guy who's gonna crap all over it.

Haters gonna hate.

I didn't tell anyone at work about it, until about 6 months in when I was asked why I didn't eat any of the communal doughnuts/cake anymore, and the person asking also commented on how much weight I had lost.

some unexpected side-benefits of the diet

nudge nudge wink wink

Top Bottom