What's new

Keto

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I tried my no-potato-salad again last weekend, and this time mixed some hot english mustard into the mayo, as well as a bit of thyme.

A lot tastier! If radishes were in season, I'd slice up a few and toss them in too ... yum!
I’m working on a brussels sprouts salad with a hot mustard dressing with shallots and apricots. It also has pistachios. I can’t wait.

I’m working on a brussels sprouts salad with a hot mustard dressing with shallots and apricots. It also has pistachios. I can’t wait.
That sounds good.

Try Brussels sprouts with balsamic vinegar glaze, chicken stock, pancetta and onion. Even Brussels sprout haters love it.

First time I did Keto I was all in went from 230 to 195 in 6 months and stayed there for a while once I slowly started back to eating pasta and bread again I am now 248.

Keto in my opinion needs to be something you do for the rest of your life or your body will just store carbs when you get back to normal eating.

My wife and I now work out on the MaxTrainer and eat the same BS food we always have just less of it. We feel great now and don't get winded tying our shoes.

But Best of luck.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Sounds good ... I worry about the apricots adding too many carbs for keto compliance, so be careful there.

First time I did Keto I was all in went from 230 to 195 in 6 months and stayed there for a while once I slowly started back to eating pasta and bread again I am now 248.

Keto in my opinion needs to be something you do for the rest of your life or your body will just store carbs when you get back to normal eating.

If you stop doing a diet, you lose the benefits.

There is a school of thought, though, among some in the keto community of the benefits of "cycling" in and out of keto, to maintain metabolic flexibility. I'm not enough of an egghead to say if this is a good idea or not, compared to being permanently on keto, but ... it can be something worth looking into for those who find perpetual keto compliance too restrictive.

My wife and I now work out on the MaxTrainer and eat the same BS food we always have just less of it. We feel great now and don't get winded tying our shoes.

But Best of luck.

From what I understand, longterm caloric restriction tends to be ineffective as a weightloss strategy, as the body tends to react by reducing metabolic rate and thus returning to the "old normal" weight.

So be aware of that risk. But best of luck!

You should not expect to not gain weight when you resume normal eating habits. If you're 250lbs, diet to 200, then resume eating like you did when you were 250, you're gonna weigh 250 again in short order if you're not doing anything to keep metabolism elevated and partition those extra calories, i.e. resistance training, etc.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
The key to sticking with keto is to keep on discovering new recipes that keep
things from turning boring. More the merrier.
Loving how versatile almond and coconut flour are.
Using them to make bread, pizza bases, cakes, cookies, tortillas, lasagna sheets, you name it.
Even got the old Konjac/Shirataki noodles for a 0 carb spag Bol.
I’ve gone in the opposite direction in just eating basic simple foods. Eggs and meat for the most part. I don’t look for enjoyment in food any longer. Eating is about as pleasurable as putting gas in the car and that is the way I feel about it. Just kill the hunger and go on with life. I really don’t miss it at all.

I’ve gone in the opposite direction in just eating basic simple foods. Eggs and meat for the most part. I don’t look for enjoyment in food any longer. Eating is about as pleasurable as putting gas in the car and that is the way I feel about it. Just kill the hunger and go on with life. I really don’t miss it at all.

That's a shame that you don't enjoy eating, but I certainly do and eggs, meat, veggies and fruit are what my body prefers and I adore eating in this manner not only for the way it makes me look, but the way I feel, as well

Hey, even if you don't enjoy eating (being a foodie, the notion is infathomable), you're at least doing your body many favors

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
That's a shame that you don't enjoy eating, but I certainly do and eggs, meat, veggies and fruit are what my body prefers and I adore eating in this manner not only for the way it makes me look, but the way I feel, as well

Hey, even if you don't enjoy eating (being a foodie, the notion is infathomable), you're at least doing your body many favors
I was a bit of a foodie. Made breads for more than 40 years and missed bread and lots of other wonderful things but the desire eventually faded and now I just eat for sustenance - really no big deal. There are many other things I enjoy and occupy my time with. I recently moved to a rural area where the people are friendly and trout are plentiful. Fish all day and never have to pack a lunch 😂.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That sounds good.

Try Brussels sprouts with balsamic vinegar glaze, chicken stock, pancetta and onion. Even Brussels sprout haters love it.
The brussels sprout salad was a huge hit but I made too much of it, so I gave some to the next-door neighbor. They called me on the phone and said, “oh my gosh what did you do?” Well, us chefs can’t reveal all of our secrets.

...And no I did not include too many apricots but they did contribute to the dish.

I'm probably jumping back on keto today. Just did my cardio at lunch. Haven't eaten since 1800 yesterday. had my keto-friendly cheese-wrapped chicken sandwich with some Guac and some pickles for lunch post-workout. Hitting the gym where I can take my weight and fat% on my way home tonight. I suspect I'm around 14-15% body fat at present. I've been eating too many carbs and drinking too many beers this past month or so. Haven't been strict keto for over a year. I'll see where I am fat-wise and make the call as to Keto or just low-carb. Either way, a LOT more time in the gym (more consistently), and a LOT less beer drinking and bread eating.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1624208827273.png

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I made myself some almond-flour pancakes this morning, and they were delicious!

I do not do keto as much at intermittent fasting. I do however, keep an eye on my carbs,
avoiding simple carbs, especially high processed foods. The exception to this rule is beer.
Hey, ya gotta have a few pleasures in life...mine are liquid carbs. I don't go overboard though.
A couple brews and and only a few times a week. 10,00 steps a day and a weekly swim in the
ocean is how I burn off those ales.

Top Bottom