What's new

Keto

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’m only five hours away from ending a 72 hour fast. Surprisingly it wasn’t all that difficult. I’ve been eating one meal a day for a few months so I didn’t experience any hunger pangs as one would expect. Im
Just now beginning to get hungry. I’ll break fast with scrambled eggs and kippers for a light supper. I’ve been Keto (mostly carnivoreish) for about 20 months and am down over 80 pounds and a BMI or 22 but more importantly I’m metabolically healthy now.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Back on Keto. I dropped 11 pounds since 1-4. I stay full on this way of eating. Last night was BBQ ribs, smoked sausage and smoked steak with a side salad. It seems I gained some weigh in 2020 due to my wife passing and staying home all the time because of covid-19.

DC003B74-20CD-4C70-B400-719C4AD65032.jpeg
3ED015F8-5A55-4A42-9BD7-FF1AE172871E.jpeg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I’m only five hours away from ending a 72 hour fast. Surprisingly it wasn’t all that difficult. I’ve been eating one meal a day for a few months so I didn’t experience any hunger pangs as one would expect.

I found that once I had developed a good "base" of keto adaptation, the fasting hunger pangs were basically non-existent. I get brief "hungry" feelings at the "usual" meal times, but they go away quickly ... and most of the time I feel just normal.

My general practice is to simply not eat on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I don't miss eating at all. Occasionally, I'll skip eating on a Tuesday or Thursday as well and that goes pretty well too.

The key to sticking with keto is to keep on discovering new recipes that keep
things from turning boring. More the merrier.
Loving how versatile almond and coconut flour are.
Using them to make bread, pizza bases, cakes, cookies, tortillas, lasagna sheets, you name it.
Even got the old Konjac/Shirataki noodles for a 0 carb spag Bol.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The key to sticking with keto is to keep on discovering new recipes that keep
things from turning boring. More the merrier.
Loving how versatile almond and coconut flour are.
Using them to make bread, pizza bases, cakes, cookies, tortillas, lasagna sheets, you name it.
Even got the old Konjac/Shirataki noodles for a 0 carb spag Bol.
Where did you get the noodles?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I found that once I had developed a good "base" of keto adaptation, the fasting hunger pangs were basically non-existent. I get brief "hungry" feelings at the "usual" meal times, but they go away quickly ... and most of the time I feel just normal.

My general practice is to simply not eat on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I don't miss eating at all. Occasionally, I'll skip eating on a Tuesday or Thursday as well and that goes pretty well too.
I’ve been thinking of doing that as well. The thirty two and 72 hour fasts don’t really bother me. I’ve been eating just once a day for some time now without any problems as far as being hungry goes.

Where did you get the noodles?

I live in Asia and over here they are only to be found in shops and supermarkets that
sell Japanese foods.

I assume this could apply in the US as well.

I would have suggested amazon but these noodles come packaged in a preservative liquid and
need to be constantly stored in a chiller.

Most of the time my pt is in a fasted state - exercise before I eat / break the fast. My daily pt is normally < 60 minutes (rowing machine, or cycling when it's warmer).

Fasting and exercise Dr. Jason Fung 1-3-17

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Bumping a dormant thread.

I made a "keto potato salad" on the weekend, using cauliflower chunks instead of potato. That substitution seemed to work quite well. It was a pretty rudimentary recipe of my own creation, namely:
  • steamed cauliflower, cubed
  • hardboiled eggs, cubed
  • dill pickles, cubed
  • avocado oil mayonnaise
That was it. I put a bit of red sprinklie on the top. Pretty good, although not as tasty as Mum used to make. I suspect I need a couple more ingredients to "kick up the oompf" if you will.

Suggestions?

Try some hot pepper dust. There are various mixtures out there - I have Hate Dust and Woody's Dimebag Dust Hot Pepper Mix; though the first are like hen's teeth and the second does not seem to be on sale anymore when I just checked.

Though they may not work with your potato salad, I've been adding fermented ingredients when I can - kimchi, sauerkraut - chopped fine. Mostly to bowls of leftover prime rib or meatloaf, also mixing in avocado oil mayonnaise.

One thing I made recently was low carb keto biscuits. As you can see, I used a pie pan and cheddar (I like Boar's Head Black Wax Sharp Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese from the market deli). Not something I can eat all the time. Consistency and taste of a good biscuit imho - especially with melted butter on top.

proxy.php

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Bumping a dormant thread.

I made a "keto potato salad" on the weekend, using cauliflower chunks instead of potato. That substitution seemed to work quite well. It was a pretty rudimentary recipe of my own creation, namely:
  • steamed cauliflower, cubed
  • hardboiled eggs, cubed
  • dill pickles, cubed
  • avocado oil mayonnaise
That was it. I put a bit of red sprinklie on the top. Pretty good, although not as tasty as Mum used to make. I suspect I need a couple more ingredients to "kick up the oompf" if you will.

Suggestions?

I've had something like that before, and I strongly preferred it to potato salad. It tasted at least as good but was lighter.

Personally, I'd add some white pepper (black will do) and some herbs. Rosemary, thyme, marjoram, and tarragon all sounds good. Going a different direction, some fenugreek and cumin and coriander (or just some curry powder) also sound good.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Made a Keto Quiche for dinner last night. Fathead crust, ham and cheese quiche filler with some crumbled bacon. Scrummy.

This quiche recipe is one of my go-tos. I don't use half and half though - substitute heavy whipping cream using a little less than asked for. And I use cheddar (Boar's Head Black Wax Sharp Wisconsin from the grocer's deli). Recipe will make two (2) 9 inch pie pan quiches. I use bacon and sometimes ground beef - once with no meat. I figured 2g carbs per serving (6 servings per pie).

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
This quiche recipe is one of my go-tos. I don't use half and half though - substitute heavy whipping cream using a little less than asked for. And I use cheddar (Boar's Head Black Wax Sharp Wisconsin from the grocer's deli). Recipe will make two (2) 9 inch pie pan quiches. I use bacon and sometimes ground beef - once with no meat. I figured 2g carbs per serving (6 servings per pie).

That is the recipe I use, except I make the fathead crust first and line the pan with it. I have made it crustless before as well. I use the half and half, but have used heavy cream too. I have used cheddar, as well as the Jack cheese. Tried bacon, ham, sausage. She got it right with that recipe.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Dinner for one...cuz the cat won’t eat it. I was given a nice ground up pork from my brother and his wife (thanks guys) so I made meatballs with my own recipe. The marinara sauce is also homemade with just a simple recipe from my favorite cook show. Fresh parsley from my garden and shaved Parmesan on top with a little basil. All over big slices of grilled zucchini. It turned out pretty good. All on our China we never used really. Give it a try sometime...And no dad the wine glass has ice water in it.
14DE3017-B1D3-4DCA-8B3F-74C69D990492.jpeg
4B83814D-F6C0-4BB3-A430-474C4124B079.jpeg
775BCF3C-F4F7-43CC-85A7-7C37164B2D84.jpeg
48680C6B-A7B0-4A89-B8C1-7D12492B2ED8.jpeg

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I tried the quiche recipe above and it came out great. Will put a slice of jalapeno on top of each slice next time to kick it up a notch. I have made the same recipe and poured it into muffin cups with a jalapeno on top. Great grab and go breakfast bites.

DD014123-E1FB-49BD-83E5-DCC199AC540C.jpeg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I tried my no-potato-salad again last weekend, and this time mixed some hot english mustard into the mayo, as well as a bit of thyme.

A lot tastier! If radishes were in season, I'd slice up a few and toss them in too ... yum!

Watching Great Chefs on Amazon Prime all the time, I see aioli sauce now and then - mayo + mustard + garlic. Goes great with my meatloaf and egg bowl.

Top Bottom