What's new

Keto

Careful of the tonic...

On hand i have Fever Tree, Fentimans & Zevia, the Zevia is zero calories, zero sugar, no artificial sweeteners & non GMO... zero fun? ... Have only tried the Fever Tree, the others i've only recently come across around here and purchased.
dave

Wife made me go to a salad place today for lunch, all very trendy and organic: one of their specialities is a Keto brownie, made with coconut flour instead of real flour. Very dubiously, I tried one. The structural integrity was, to be fair, hopeless, and I made a right mess, but flavourwise, pretty damn good.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
On hand i have Fever Tree, Fentimans & Zevia, the Zevia is zero calories, zero sugar, no artificial sweeteners & non GMO... zero fun? ... Have only tried the Fever Tree, the others i've only recently come across around here and purchased.
dave
I could never warm up to any of them. I have resigned myself to much less sweet in my foods and a little dab of honey in my coffee. No Keto-shaming please.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Breakfast was tacos made with almond flour tortillas. 5 carbs per tortilla versus 37 carbs for flour.
20200111_084707.jpg
20200111_085559.jpg

I am trying Keto style diet. The cutting of sugar from coffee creamers is my weakness but for whatever its worth no idea how to say I am in Ketosis but 7 lbs lost since Jan 1 and I would think its mostly water so trying to increase my fluid intake...flush the fat and crud out of me any way possible. I was told by the Dr to eliminate as many carbs and frankly stop the bread and potatoes and carrots. I despise pasta unless its smothered in a beef gravy with beef but had a soft spot for stir fry with noodles. Still doing the stir fry just no noodles, carrots for colour and cauliflower and broccoli and Kale/Spinach up in my daily diet plus salads but with Italian salad dressing and with cheese, eggs, and avocado’s. Avocado is a tough taste for the northern prairie boy used to steak and potatoes. Only 93 more pounds to go.

I am trying Keto style diet. The cutting of sugar from coffee creamers is my weakness but for whatever its worth no idea how to say I am in Ketosis but 7 lbs lost since Jan 1 and I would think its mostly water so trying to increase my fluid intake...flush the fat and crud out of me any way possible. I was told by the Dr to eliminate as many carbs and frankly stop the bread and potatoes and carrots. I despise pasta unless its smothered in a beef gravy with beef but had a soft spot for stir fry with noodles. Still doing the stir fry just no noodles, carrots for colour and cauliflower and broccoli and Kale/Spinach up in my daily diet plus salads but with Italian salad dressing and with cheese, eggs, and avocado’s. Avocado is a tough taste for the northern prairie boy used to steak and potatoes. Only 93 more pounds to go.

The trick is to find your daily macros and specific calorie intake to meet your loss goals...and stick
to it as far as possible. You can eat kept and still be off track because you overshot your daily calorie limit.
But you knew that.

If sugar is your weakness go to iherb.com and buy some Lakanto....or a few bags of erythritol. Very close to sugar
in taste (a bit cool on the tongue)....0 carbs, 0 cal. Theres a baking version as well made by Swerve...Lakanto makes 0 carb pancake syrup as well.

Avocados taste bland on there own. I make my own guacamole....add salt, lemon, cumin powder, chopped green chillies/habanero for heat....and you might find them irresisitable.

For a 0 carb noodles treat, visit your asian market and look for shirataki/konjac noodles. They are Japanese in origin.
Konjac is a kind of yam that is 99% fibre. I was surprised how good they taste...I use them to whip up a spag bol with
parmesan.

I've been on keto / low carb high fat since March 2018. Daily food log of everything I eat, carbs consumed, and my eating window, which I keep to 1 or 2 meals a day, time-restricted eating (TRE) - or, fasting after you've eaten. Those two are powerful in keeping you healthy. I also have buckled down on vegetable oil consumption (corn oil, canola oil, soy oil, non-butter spreads), which I'm finding out is worse than sugar or processed grains.

Reached my goal weight, and am now on maintenance (Atkins term), but I still keep my carbs at 20g or below most of the time. OMAD (one meal a day) is doable several times a week, and an occasional IF (intermittent fasting) - fasting for 48 hours or more - which I can do once a month and sometimes more..

Got myself a cuisinart 4 cup and made some condiments. Both of these are great on eggs.

Low-carb ketchup

Classic Pesto

I also keep my kefir grains going and keep a batch ready to go for probiotics. They go great with instant coffee, hershey's cocao powder, chia seeds, and nuts too.

I'm pretty much a regular at Whole Foods and Trader Joes. The Commissary has a few go-to items as well. Even got some good bone broth from Walmart of all places (Pacific Foods).

I've got my set foods that I keep on the menu, including eggs, liver, salmon (canned Bumble Bee wild caught), all kinds of meat, avocados, nuts, Mark Sisson's Primal Kitchen avocado oil mayo, and Chosen Foods mayo has good ingredients also. And a bunch of other items of course. I add new foods now and then and evaluate their effect.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I've been on keto / low carb high fat since March 2018. Daily food log of everything I eat, carbs consumed, and my eating window, which I keep to 1 or 2 meals a day, time-restricted eating (TRE) - or, fasting after you've eaten. Those two are powerful in keeping you healthy. I also have buckled down on vegetable oil consumption (corn oil, canola oil, soy oil, non-butter spreads), which I'm finding out is worse than sugar or processed grains.

Reached my goal weight, and am now on maintenance (Atkins term), but I still keep my carbs at 20g or below most of the time. OMAD (one meal a day) is doable several times a week, and an occasional IF (intermittent fasting) - fasting for 48 hours or more - which I can do once a month and sometimes more..

Got myself a cuisinart 4 cup and made some condiments. Both of these are great on eggs.

Low-carb ketchup

Classic Pesto

I also keep my kefir grains going and keep a batch ready to go for probiotics. They go great with instant coffee, hershey's cocao powder, chia seeds, and nuts too.

I'm pretty much a regular at Whole Foods and Trader Joes. The Commissary has a few go-to items as well. Even got some good bone broth from Walmart of all places (Pacific Foods).

I've got my set foods that I keep on the menu, including eggs, liver, salmon (canned Bumble Bee wild caught), all kinds of meat, avocados, nuts, Mark Sisson's Primal Kitchen avocado oil mayo, and Chosen Foods mayo has good ingredients also. And a bunch of other items of course. I add new foods now and then and evaluate their effect.
I will have to try that ketchup recipe using San Marzano tomatoes. Thanks for the link.

About to try a new recipe for almond flour pancakes.
Whisk together Mascarpone cheese, full fat cream, your choice of Keto sweetener (for me, Swerve),
baking powder, salt, cinnamon or pumpkin spice mix, vanilla extract. Add almond flour and whisk some more.

Make pancake, top off with lakanto 0 carb syrup and/or a knob of butter.

This has 3 net carbs per serving but 236 cal per pancake so only one or two max per session.

Big fan of kefir...till I found out that it is pretty High in carbs....
I just finished another batch using whole milk and kefir grains. Shook the half gallon ball jar and poured into individual coffee cup servings (made 8) - I keep them low and not filled to the top - so kefir carbs alone come up to around 8g per serving (carbs from whole milk). I add nuts and weigh them to the ounce - macadamia 1g, walnuts 2g, almonds 2g, etc. So to this mornings cup I added an oz of macadamia and walnuts (raw organic) and it came out to 11g. That, plus the main dish of 3 eggs (.6g per egg = 1.8g), salmon (0 carb), mayo (0 carb) and pesto and ketchup - totaled 12.8g for the day (doing an OMAD one meal a day). A nice 23-24 hour fast until breakfast again tomorrow.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Last night I cooked a pretty good dish. It was a green bean salad with a hot dressing topped with Texas goat cheese, bacon and cranberries.

20200111_180355_001.jpg
20200111_180403.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The cutting of sugar from coffee creamers is my weakness but ...

The almond is my favourite.

Still doing the stir fry just no noodles, carrots for colour and cauliflower and broccoli and Kale/Spinach up in my daily diet plus salads but with Italian salad dressing and with cheese, eggs, and avocado’s.

Sounds good.

Carrots though are rather high in carbs. In general, veggies are hit-and-miss for keto.

Make your own salad dressing: half olive oil, a good dash of apple cider vinegar, a good dash of lime juice, and a bit of low-carb "heat" seasoning (I use a spiced coconut vinegar from the Philippines, but whatever you want ... Tabasco? Some such thing.)

About to try a new recipe for almond flour pancakes.
Whisk together Mascarpone cheese, full fat cream, your choice of Keto sweetener (for me, Swerve),
baking powder, salt, cinnamon or pumpkin spice mix, vanilla extract. Add almond flour and whisk some more.

Make pancake, top off with lakanto 0 carb syrup and/or a knob of butter.

This has 3 net carbs per serving but 236 cal per pancake so only one or two max per session.
I've tried several tortilla / flat bread / pancake recipes. The best and most convinient is Keto Mug bread:

Keto Mug Bread - Keto Connect - video

PEGGY'S PORK RIND FRENCH TOAST CAKES

Low Carb Cheese Bread - scroll down a bit for recipe

Flatbread

INGREDIENTS
This recipe makes 4 flatbreads (less than 1g carb per bread)
1/2 cup almond flour
2 - 3 Tbsp. psyllium seed husks // I used 2 1/2 Tablespoons
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup warm water

Well this Keto thing is all new to me but here was lunch today, Applegate Natural honey maple turkey breast with shrimp and cheese and some green veggies on top all sitting in a almond flour tortilla and some cheese crisps

44936EE1-C0CE-4B62-A76E-62F58DD76DFB.jpeg

Top Bottom