What's new

Keto, Intermittant Fasting and Working out?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So how does a ketogenic diet, intermittent fasting and working out, particularly if you want to add some muscle (not "body building" ) work together, or are they at crossed purposes?

Done em all.

Keto is the easiest to follow as long as you eat all meals at home.

Modified fasting (every other day meals alternated with liquids on off days) is hard to stick with.

Work out, as in organized gym membership, is difficult to stick with.

They all seem to work as long as you can commit and not slack off.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I guess my question is, do you work out on days you're not fasting, can you build functional muscle while on a keto diet, etc. Do any of these modalities work against the others?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I can't comment on elite-level athlete training but ...

... for us mere mortals, my understanding of the keto/IF research and my own personal experience is that keto and IF can work together with exercise to build functional muscle.

works great for me. Eating keto; I do IF 8/16 and work out everyday at lunch like a madman. Currently 13% fat; I am stronger than I have been in years. Need to bump my body fat down another couple percent. I get better lifts and better growth eating this way. And...I'm an old dude. Currently focusing on relatively heavy lifts, fewer reps. 5X5 with as much as I can get to 5 reps with. No rest - kind of HIIT.

True ketosis is very difficult, typically less than 20 grams of carbs a day. This varies by individual. For me, I went low carb, less than 100 grams a day. I work out everyday, kettlebells and running, and have never felt better. Real ketogenic diet is difficult to adapt as a long term lifestyle. It was designed for children with a medical need. I've seen it be effective for people with diabetes too. It can be a great way to lose weight and certainly works, but hard to maintain in the long run.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

A friend has been doing IF or a modified form of it for about three months now. He eats one meal a day and has eliminated sugar as much as possible and his one meal is lower in carbs (no breads or pasta but certain vegetable are OK). He works out in the a.m. and his meal is in the evening. So far, he has lost 15 pounds.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I just do IF now and dropped the Keto. Both work, Keto was hard to stick to because my wife wasn’t on board and I didn’t want to shop twice. As a Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai practitioner I never eat before a workout because I don’t want to puke it up in a hard training session so IF works for me since I generally train in the mornings anyway.

I have been doing IF and KETO together AND work out 5 days a week, sometimes 6. I am running at around 20 net grams of carbs. I tried "low" carb diets, but kept on dipping in and out of Keto, and getting the keto "flu" often, so I opted to stay in Keto(for now).
Everything I read indicates that IF helps with building lean muscle mass. I have always been a hard gainer but here are my observation:
- muscles are not as "swollen", but that is expected considering carbs help retain water in the system.
I am leaner overall and dropped to less than 10% BF for a couple of weeks (opted to increase total calories as my pants were falling off. and no one needs to see that). I am still seeing some muscle mass gain.
- energy for days and consistent strength. I work out either at 4am or after work at 7pm (when I am too lazy to get up at 4). I used to struggle with energy and flatten out during the workout. On Keto I don't have the energy drops and can do my workout anytime. Doing IF and eating only 2 meals at 6am and noon, I am fully digested if I need to work out at night.
- better recovery. I still get some soreness but I feel I have been recovering faster after a solid workout. My range sets varies between 12 reps and 5 reps.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
It sounds as if there are no conflicts with keto, IF and working out in general.

My fiancee has tremendous results with Keto. She didn't modify her workouts, only diet and had great results. But as said above, eat at home. And the first couple weeks are going to suck. After that though, your body will adjust.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Well to tell the truth, it's been off and on. Seemed easy at first, but a bit harder to maintain over the long run. Lost some weight, probably more fasting than keto, gained some back, regrouping and starting again.

Well to tell the truth, it's been off and on. Seemed easy at first, but a bit harder to maintain over the long run. Lost some weight, probably more fasting than keto, gained some back, regrouping and starting again.
How is this going now? I am very much a believer in ketogenic living. I can help with those that have keto problems, it is natural and easy once you are shown the whole picture. Let me know if I can help.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Still regrouping I'm sad to say, holiday eating undid most of my gains (losses), weather has sucked for outdoor work outs, but has changed for the better. So I have run out of excuses. Back at it, starting over.

Top Bottom