What's new

Ketchup in coffee is actually a thing!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have seen posts talking about pinches of salt or sugar but a roaster friend of mind reccomended to try ketchup. His argument was the vinegar balances brings a certain level of organic acidity and the tomatoes heighten the underlying flavors of the coffee. After trying it I can say he was not wrong and almost spot on.

Heres a pic of before I started brewing this morning.

Overall very enjoyable, 10/10.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Mjl0BsAgMGYTe.gif

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Interesting!

That reminds me that I've been meaning to try a cappuccino with frothed Miracle Whip. Look for a report in the morning!

Coffee is already acidic. Many people add milk or cream to their coffee to balance that acidity. Thus, adding ketchup to coffee would be a waste of both good coffee and good ketchup. Save the ketchup for your hotdog, burger, or eggs.

You are going to have to do better next April Fool's Day.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Interesting!

That reminds me that I've been meaning to try a cappuccino with frothed Miracle Whip. Look for a report in the morning!
Please let me know how you like it!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Babysitting a friend's 4 year old many years ago, I was advised that she will remind me when lunchtime comes, and will recommend the menu. Little Amber's menu: "A side of chips, a glass of milk, and a peanutbutter and mayonaise sandwich. And don't scrimp on the mayo." The precocious child asked & she's gonna get ... and she better eat it ALL, were my thoughts.
I found out later that it was a set up & that it actually makes a great sandwich. It beats my Dad's Peanutbutter, butter and lettuce by a wide margin. That was long ago, and as her wedding gift, I packed a box with a jar of PB, a jar of mayo & a loaf of bread, plus a written copy of this story. It was a BIG hit.
When I reach for the PB jar, I more often than not also accompany it with mayo.

Frothed Miracle Whip - no, just NO. I grew up with Miracle Whip & didn't know Mayo until in college.

Friends don't let friends do Miracle Whip!

Babysitting a friend's 4 year old many years ago, I was advised that she will remind me when lunchtime comes, and will recommend the menu. Little Amber's menu: "A side of chips, a glass of milk, and a peanutbutter and mayonaise sandwich. And don't scrimp on the mayo." The precocious child asked & she's gonna get ... and she better eat it ALL, were my thoughts.
I found out later that it was a set up & that it actually makes a great sandwich. It beats my Dad's Peanutbutter, butter and lettuce by a wide margin. That was long ago, and as her wedding gift, I packed a box with a jar of PB, a jar of mayo & a loaf of bread, plus a written copy of this story. It was a BIG hit.
When I reach for the PB jar, I more often than not also accompany it with mayo.

Frothed Miracle Whip - no, just NO. I grew up with Miracle Whip & didn't know Mayo until in college.

Friends don't let friends do Miracle Whip!

My wife's family has always used Miracle Whip. The first time she made me a tuna salad sandwich I told her the fish was bad - it tasted odd. It turned out it was the Miracle Whip. She switched over to mayo and now rarely uses MW on anything.

My wife's family has always used Miracle Whip. The first time she made me a tuna salad sandwich I told her the fish was bad - it tasted odd. It turned out it was the Miracle Whip. She switched over to mayo and now rarely uses MW on anything.
My Mom grew up in rural Michigan during the Depression. They had farm acreage and a little gas station out front of the farmhouse for income. They raised hundreds of chickens, had a 5 acre family garden & grandpa had a smokehouse. When things got a little tight, they'd sell the chickens they'd normally eat, and grandpa went fishing. Whatever fish he caught, they ate & apparently some of it was pretty bad. As a result, Mom would gag at the sight & smell of any fish fillets (except for Arthur Treacher's later in her life). As an impressionable child I adopted the 'no fish' bias. Neighbors next door had a lifetime stockpile of tuna that grandpa would go catch & get canned. When unlucky enough to be invited for lunch, they'd break out a can of stinky tuna & although I kept it down, it was brutal torture to me. Mom COULD make Dad a tuna salad sandwich (with finely chopped celery & Miracle Whip) but gagging & retching all the while.
I found out in adult life that tuna salad was edible when made with mayo, but, when given the option, I forego tuna salad even today. Tuna is best as grilled steaks. I do keep canned tuna on hand & it is just fine in chunks with sour cream & tabasco sauce, on crackers.
BTW later in life Mom loved canned Red Salmon with sour cream & tabasco sauce, but never couldn't do tuna...

Top Bottom