What's new

Kent has gone all Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Yes, they said they were going to awhile back. To me, of all the brushes I've ever used, Kent nailed the handle. I wonder what synthetic fiber they have found to equal the flop of their badger. Certainly not what they were using, it was wire, by comparison.

No reply from them yet regards any specs. Cant see Kent using the same old stuff the original infinity was released with.

I emailed them a while ago asking if they stopped using silvertip badger? I also asked what "bristle" means since I did not see a definition. No answer to date.

This a.m. got a response to my email:

"Thank you for your email,

We are no longer using badger bristle in our production, we have a new range of synthetic bristle which have been designed to have the same luxurious feel as badger.
The bristle shaving brushes are boar bristle."

“Boar bristle” comes from pigs ,
which are domesticated animals and are being farmed for their meat and leather supply.
On the contrary ,badgers are wild animals that they show abnormal behaviour (i.e. self-inflicted injuries ,even amputations,unwillingness to
reproduce,etc) when in captivity.

Every badger brush comes actually from a dead WILD animal.That’s a big difference.
Another thing to farm animals for food supply and for the by-products ,such as leather and bristles vs capturing wild animals just to skin them and
use their fur to make coats ,bags,shoes and even shaving brushes .

Soon ,we will be consuming
only synthetic meat,at least
according to Bill Gates.
It won’t be long until badger hair will be banned for import and selling .Think elephant ivory and rhino horns .
Same thing will happen.
Inevitably.

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
They’ve stopped using badger in light of threats from animal rights activists. I was told this by a dealership that sold Kent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If that were true then I would expect other brush makers to have received similar threats and perhaps they have. Maybe Kent's badger brush sales had declined so much that they simply decided to switch to solely synthetic whilst simultaneously taking the moral high ground. With respect to those who like Kent brushes, it is no great loss in my opinion.

If that were true then I would expect other brush makers to have received similar threats and perhaps they have. Maybe Kent's badger brush sales had declined so much that they simply decided to switch to solely synthetic whilst simultaneously taking the moral high ground. With respect to those who like Kent brushes, it is no great loss in my opinion.

I expect that’s more plausible. I love my Kent brushes especially the huge ones for that barber shop style of shaving.

As Kent were / are a UK based company, you have to remember its a tadge crazy over here in certain parts of society. So the idea of them being threatened, cancelled, trolled or what ever, does seem plausible. As for prices, a quick look on the bay shows a few bigger Kents than would normally be £50 or £60 used are now closer to £90 plus. Again UK prices.

Sad really as they like Simpsons had a long and rich history. But hey ho, the new range looks good too.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
As Kent were / are a UK based company, you have to remember its a tadge crazy over here in certain parts of society. So the idea of them being threatened, cancelled, trolled or what ever, does seem plausible. As for prices, a quick look on the bay shows a few bigger Kents than would normally be £50 or £60 used are now closer to £90 plus. Again UK prices.

Sad really as they like Simpsons had a long and rich history. But hey ho, the new range looks good too.
I find the idea they have been threatened very plausible, indeed I would be surprised if they had not received some sort of threat no matter how credible. Whatever the company or product there will be someone who will complain about it, protest about it, or be offended about it. Next there will be a social media campaign, 'cancelling', and Lord knows what else. Sadly it has become the same the world over and not just in the UK.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I quite liked my Kents handle. A little more backbone would have been nice, but it was a good brush. I'm not a fan of the current harvest methods of badger. Harvesting animals in nature is one thing, but the way it's currently done is very far from that. I enjoy the badgers I have, probably won't buy more unless the source is NOT China. There are good horse brushes and boar, well, they are better than synthetic most of the time.

Synthetics come with their own pollution baggage and that is compounded in the fact that they are so cheap that many decide they need a fleet of them.

Maybe I'll just say to heck with brushes all together and use a brushless cream, Midnight and Two, I'm looking at you...

Here in the UK we currently cull badgers to control the spread of TB in cattle. Licenses for culling will not be renewed in 2022. We’ve had a lot of protests and threats towards farmers and people culling.

I love the animals as I do cattle and I hope they now turn to vaccination of badgers to stop the spread of disease that’s of course if they are actually to blame for TB in cattle.

FWIW, I too have gone all synthetic (Trafalgar T3).

I can confidently say that it's simply a better option, compared to both Badger and Boar.

No soaking required, no shedding, no smell, no special drying procedure or care needed, no hassle, no nothing.

Lather is ALWAYS phenomenal with any soap, croap or cream (I've used).

All that for 20 bucks, c'mon!

I'm sold.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
FWIW, I too have gone all synthetic (Trafalgar T3).

I can confidently say that it's simply a better option, compared to both Badger and Boar.

No soaking required, no shedding, no smell, no special drying procedure or care needed, no hassle, no nothing.

Lather is ALWAYS phenomenal with any soap, croap or cream (I've used).

All that for 20 bucks, c'mon!

I'm sold.

I would like to join you in that place, but sadly I cannot. I have a handful of synthetic brushes. The best one is the Omega EVO, and it is a nice brush, but my SOC 2 band is considerably better for face lathering at the same price. I prefer one of the boars for the scuttle, and nothing is like that big Kent BK8.

I'm glad you found your happy place.

I would like to join you in that place, but sadly I cannot. I have a handful of synthetic brushes. The best one is the Omega EVO, and it is a nice brush, but my SOC 2 band is considerably better for face lathering at the same price. I prefer one of the boars for the scuttle, and nothing is like that big Kent BK8.

I'm glad you found your happy place.
Well, I guess that's why they say YMMV😂

Me, I'm done buying non-synthetic brushes.

To be frank, I've never had an issues lathering any soap/cream with any brush and I quite enjoy the boar scratch, as I only face-lather. Somehow, I never had interest in mugs, bowls or scuttles.

I'm not saying I'll never use my natural bristle brushes ever again, but this T3 does everything I could possibly ask for and then some. So, you are right - I'm a happy synthetic camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom