What's new

Ken Onion Work Sharp Sharpener - What belts?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I know from previous threads there are several here who have the Work Sharp so I've got some questions since I just got mine yesterday.

1. Where do you get your belts from?
2. Do you buy the genuine Work Sharp belts or knock offs?
3. If you buy knock off belts what kind/where from.

Thanks!

PS. Any videos worth mentioning I should watch to for tips using it?

IMG_1269.jpeg

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
The stock belts are just as good as anything. Others may be as good and a little cheaper but a full set is $20 so I wouldn't go hunting through trial and error. The belts are actually made like shark teeth where as one layer is warn down there are other layers ready to go. I never needed to replace the cartridge belts on the WSKO, but after a year I upgraded the tool with the Blade Grinder Attachment and will never go back. I've only put the cartridge back on to do scissors.

Aa far as technique, you probably won't need the coarsest belt unless you are trying to rehap a dead dull knife or something with a with a chip. Use the next 2 coarsest belts doing one side 5-8 times and then switching to the other side You should be able to feel the burr on the side opposite from the side you were just working on. With the the fine belt (not the super skinny only) go back and forth one side than the other. The card that comes with the tool does a pretty good job explaining the process.

If you are doing a knife you want to keep pristine, you'll want to put some painters tape on the blade. Grit gets in the cartridge and will scratch the sides of the blade as you pull it through.

I have not had to replace any of the original belts yet. They seem quite durable. I've had KO Work Sharp several years. It stays on the bench in my basement shop. I'm just sharpening my stuff, not taking in jobs or volunteering for friends and neighbors.

I use my Work Sharp primarily on larger knife blades and mainly for significant restoration and repair. So the coarser grits have seen the most use. An 8" Henckels chef's knife with a big ding has been my biggest Work Sharp project. The belt cleaning bar I use on my bench belt sander out in the big shop sometimes gets lightly used to clean the coarse Work Sharp belts.

Top Bottom