What's new

Keeping Track of your Cellar

I know a few of you are on TobaccoCellar.com. I had started there then they had their long outtage and I went to ThePipeTool. Both sites kind of drive me crazy on input and calculating the whole she-bang.

Anyways, I have just over 20# of baccy cellared. I haven't bothered to put in the open stuff. It changes too fast but I have close to three dozen jars of various blends open. I also have a few pounds of Dunhill blends on back order. Exciting times.

TPT has a calculator telling me I need another 70# of baccy to last me until I die if I average seven bowls a week and I live to 80... I need to buy more!

Writing everything down, weight, when I bought it, manufacture date if available, price paid or price per oz wasn't that bad. Typing everything in and clicking all the different blend options was the obnoxious part. I found Tobacco Cellar didn't have that many blend options already in its database and I was adding a lot of the components in both sites.

And why isn't cellar date defaulted to purchase date with tin?!

Rant over. I wasn't expecting this to be an all day project.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I need to get cataloging as well. If think I have at least 10 pounds but I really have no clue.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I know a few of you are on TobaccoCellar.com. I had started there then they had their long outtage and I went to ThePipeTool. Both sites kind of drive me crazy on input and calculating the whole she-bang.

Anyways, I have just over 20# of baccy cellared. I haven't bothered to put in the open stuff. It changes too fast but I have close to three dozen jars of various blends open. I also have a few pounds of Dunhill blends on back order. Exciting times.

TPT has a calculator telling me I need another 70# of baccy to last me until I die if I average seven bowls a week and I live to 80... I need to buy more!

Writing everything down, weight, when I bought it, manufacture date if available, price paid or price per oz wasn't that bad. Typing everything in and clicking all the different blend options was the obnoxious part. I found Tobacco Cellar didn't have that many blend options already in its database and I was adding a lot of the components in both sites.

And why isn't cellar date defaulted to purchase date with tin?!

Rant over. I wasn't expecting this to be an all day project.

There are a handful of blends that I've had to put into TC's database but not many. The cellar date is defaulted to the purchase date with TC. I've said it many times, but I'll say it again. I do not like The Pipe Tool. Sure, it's cool and hip and modern, but the numbers just don't add up. Once you get over the that big hump of entering everything into TC, it's relatively easy to maintain.

I've not had to enter too many into TC over all, but the process to add a blend wasn't too overly painful. I also don't enter any price info on my stuff. I really don't want the number of how much I've paid over the time for the 63+ pounds I've entered there staring me back in the face. lol

Seems I've smoked my way through 7 pounds in the last 4 or so years, and I've recently found myself ramping up my pipes per week, really starting to hit my technique stride and enjoying them more. Guess I need to get another 20 or so pounds stashed to last me. lol

No matter what site you use, I highly suggest downloading a backup copy of your database after anytime you enter stuff in, so you have a fairly up to date backup at all times.

I've not had to enter too many into TC over all, but the process to add a blend wasn't too overly painful. I also don't enter any price info on my stuff. I really don't want the number of how much I've paid over the time for the 63+ pounds I've entered there staring me back in the face. lol

Seems I've smoked my way through 7 pounds in the last 4 or so years, and I've recently found myself ramping up my pipes per week, really starting to hit my technique stride and enjoying them more. Guess I need to get another 20 or so pounds stashed to last me. lol

No matter what site you use, I highly suggest downloading a backup copy of your database after anytime you enter stuff in, so you have a fairly up to date backup at all times.
First thing I did after getting it all in was export a copy in case it goes under!

I've said it many times, but I'll say it again. I do not like The Pipe Tool. Sure, it's cool and hip and modern, but the numbers just don't add up. Once you get over the that big hump of entering everything into TC, it's relatively easy to maintain.
Yup.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Database?

All of the stuff I have I just slap a sticker on the mason jar lid, write down the date it was tinned and if it doesn't have that I just note the date I got it...then stuff it in my office somewhere. It's all together though...mostly.

If I run out of the stuff I mostly smoke I just stop by the store and pick up another pouch...or tub.

I do need to check out Tobacco Cellar and Pipe Tool though and see what it's about.

Database?

All of the stuff I have I just slap a sticker on the mason jar lid, write down the date it was tinned and if it doesn't have that I just note the date I got it...then stuff it in my office somewhere. It's all together though...mostly.

If I run out of the stuff I mostly smoke I just stop by the store and pick up another pouch...or tub.

I do need to check out Tobacco Cellar and Pipe Tool though and see what it's about.
I got above the 20# at least. Too many unopened tins. I just want to remember what I have and how old it is. The what I paid for it helps in trade later :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I can't be bothered to be too organized, just ask SWMBO! Seriously though, I suppose if I had a huge cellar and did a lot of trading, it could be somewhat useful. But for my meager purposes, I don't see the need. What did the old codgers do before the internet and PCs, were there really that many who would keep a written log? I will never be in the 100# category, if I had to guess, I probably have maybe 10 to 15 pounds on hand and I doubt that I would ever more than double that. But even if I were to exceed those amounts, I can't see the need to have anything more than labels on jars/tins etc. School me on why I'm wrong.

At around 40#, I have most of my cellar recorded in the "TC" site, but I'm kind of lazy about keeping it up to date. It's 90% correct. I mostly use it to help my failing memory, LOL. If there's a 'can't resist' sale I will refer to the TC to see if I already have more than I'm going to smoke, this has helped my AD somewhat.

When I hit about 10lbs I became pretty fastidious with my tobaccocellar account. All my tins/jars have a serial number and everything. I used TC until I hit about 60#, and then they had that long outtage. As soon as they came back up I exported and switched over to a google sheet. So, I've been using a spreadsheet and just manually updating. Since TC "built" the framework for me via the export, it wasn't that bad. I actually find using the spreadsheet easier than using TC now, because I can type in whatever I want without having to go through the process of adding new tobaccos. Current tally is 68#...I've slowed down acquisition considerably...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My "cellar" is all nasal snuff, not pipe tobacco (which I just buy a small pouch of occasionally), and I don't keep track of it at all.

I keep a small selection to hand, either to pinch from directly, or refill my snuffbox with, but I don't tend to care much about the overall levels. All I know for certain, is that I have enough to last me over a decade. Well over! Enough to make me not consider buying any more in the foreseeable future.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I can't be bothered to be too organized, just ask SWMBO! Seriously though, I suppose if I had a huge cellar and did a lot of trading, it could be somewhat useful. But for my meager purposes, I don't see the need. What did the old codgers do before the internet and PCs, were there really that many who would keep a written log? I will never be in the 100# category, if I had to guess, I probably have maybe 10 to 15 pounds on hand and I doubt that I would ever more than double that. But even if I were to exceed those amounts, I can't see the need to have anything more than labels on jars/tins etc. School me on why I'm wrong.

Old post, but I will +1 anyway! :)

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I just entered all my cellared tins and jars into Tobacco Cellar. I tared the weight of the mason jars and rounded weights when needed. I still have to add all my opened jars of rotation blends too. Despite all that I have....

42 pounds of weed (ulp)!! I am kinda dumbfounded that I have that much. All my tins were about $1300.00 so I must at least that much in bulks?

So I am half way to a hunnert pounds!!

#100lbs or bust!

I'm a little over 80 pounds, with my IPSD order due today. Tobaccocellar estimates this should last me until I'm 110, so I've been scaling back tobacco purchases over the past year or so.

I think I started a tobaccocellar account. I need to put all my stuff in. Its probably going to take so long to enter everything ugh. Guess its what I get for not keeping track from the start. I am curious though how much I have of everything.

I'm a little over 80 pounds, with my IPSD order due today. Tobaccocellar estimates this should last me until I'm 110, so I've been scaling back tobacco purchases over the past year or so.
That's probably about where I'll start scaling back.. or outright stopping, even... maybe? lol

Top Bottom