What's new

Keeping track of uses on a blade?

With multiple GEM and Schick injectors what suggestions do you have for keeping track of the times a razor/blade has been used?
With the GEM blades a Texta/Sharpie dot after each use on the blade could work but often that isn't practical with a Schick injector in the razor.
I don't like to waste a blade if I use multiple razors in rotation.
Or do you use the same blade in multiple razors and bin it after a set cycle of razors?

Thanks,

I go until it feels like crap, if I. Doubt pitch it. Sometimes like others I keep it seperated and track it with a sheet of paper. Lately I use one until it's done and move on, or leave them in and track the use per device. Gems and injectors last a long time imo. I've done the 30 use on gems, and my limited injector use seems close.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
The "abacus" I use is about the size of a credit card (slightly smaller than a credit card).

Nine blade shaves can be tracked at a time, and each column can be counted 15 times.
Or I can combine the two columns to count higher times up to 99.
Even it can count a single blade up to 999999999 shaves.

Made of all brass, simple, strong, durable and practical. It has the same era aesthetic as many vintage shaving tools.
胖Q版摩比霹靂車.jpg

I never worry about the number of shaves I get from a blade. I use four razors each with its own blade for every shave. The razor used for the WTG pass gets the greatest wear as it encounters a lot of stubble. The razor used for the 4th and final clean-up pass lasts much longer. I just keep using a blade until it either starts to lose sharpness or starts to lack smoothness. Even if you use only one razor and blade for every shave, the same principle applies. As long as you are satisfied with the performance of the blade, continue to use it. When it is no longer adequate, replace it.

I once tried using a Feather blade in a moderately aggressive razor. As you may be aware, Feather blades are super sharp. It worked quite well for the first two shaves. During the 3rd shave, the blade started to feel harsh on my face after the WTG pass. I had to replace the blade mid-shave before continuing. Thus, never set a target and say you will change the blade only after a specific number of shaves. Your face might regret that decision. No two blades are exactly the same, even if they come out of the same package and your beard will not be exactly the same for two shaves in a row. Thus, adapt to the conditions. Your face will thank you.

Use 20 sided di like in dungeons and dragons. They come in different colors so you can have one for each razor. A little extreme yes, but could be a colorful addition.

lasta

Blade Biter
Ever since putting up two magnetic strips in the bathroom, I had to track my shaves in Excel:c3:

1680355924766.png

The "abacus" I use is about the size of a credit card (slightly smaller than a credit card).

Nine blade shaves can be tracked at a time, and each column can be counted 15 times.
Or I can combine the two columns to count higher times up to 99.
Even it can count a single blade up to 999999999 shaves.

Made of all brass, simple, strong, durable and practical. It has the same era aesthetic as many vintage shaving tools.
View attachment 1630481
I need an abacus now , great idea, thank you.

I never use the same razor two days in a row, I rarely even use the same system two days in a row since I rotate through a large number of SE, DE and cartridge razors. I always have blades for each one, including injectors, waiting to be called upon and I’m not willing to put the time and energy into keeping track of how many uses each one has. It’s just not important to me, if the blade I chose for the day feels a little dull I just throw it away and choose something else.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have used different systems over the years and the best ones are the ones I created or copied. I have used dice, milk bottle caps and paper and pen to keep track or use a fine sharpie pen and put dots on blades.
Why I do this is just the way this newbie's learned and how to improve when I first got into traditional wet shaving.
Keeping track of a blade as a daily shaver is not a issue any more for myself, I find it not a problem at all and my shaves have improved using a tracking system of any sort because you will learn to toss before you have a terrible shave. I also keep my blades down to minimum that are out in service.
( Some old archived photo's of how I keep track of razor blades over the years, click to enlarge)
I started out with dice but don't bump them, then improved to simple milk cap top counters(work the best) & sharpie works great + stickers. I do not use the dice anymore!

Blade bank storage.jpg
Blade counter 1.0 (2).jpg
Blade counter 2.0 (2).jpg
Blade counter 3.jpg

I just slip blade in between a couple of modified magnetic business cards until next use for the last 6 years and works great.

(Old archived photo's of blade storage )
YY blade storage handling..jpg

Have some great shaves!

I keep a text file/memo on my cell phone that I keep track of how many shaves on each blade (and how many shaves I normally get with that blade type/brand/model). I track DE blades, AC blades, GEM blades and injector blades that way. I use 3-D printed blade dryers from FugalShave on Etsy.com to store the blades that are in current rotation. I don't store any blades in my razors (except injector razors) so I don't have to worry about blades staining my razors.

I have a small notebook on my dresser where I keep track. List the blade and in which razor for injectors. I put a mark each time I use the blade.

Keeping track helps me tell if a rough shave is because the blade is wearing out or if my technique or prep was bad. A rough shave on the 3rd or 4th use is technique/prep. If on the 10th or later it usually means the blade is ready to retire

I do not really keep track myself. But mid august last year I got the Supply SE with black blades. Only yesterday did I finish the first pack of blades, and I shave every couple of days with it. I have really found my daily driver and not had the energy to invest time in using different razors for the hobby part of it. So 12 blades in half a year? A lot less than my DE blades which I would throw out every few shaves, cause they would feel dull and more tuggy after just a couple of shaves for me and too low cost to really think about it.

I don't bother keeping track with DE blades because they are cheap and I just recycle them when they start to feel rough. If I used my SE razors more then I might make more of an effort to keep track as the SE blades last much longer and cost a lot more.

Top Bottom