What's new

Keeping track of shave number

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I use an excel spreadsheet to keep track of what I use. That way I can put stats on what I use the most and the least. I also see which combo I tried and which I didn't. I can put up stats on a blade longevity versus which razor or in general. The dices don't work as some blades last 2 shaves and others 27 shaves... Depending on the blade and razor...

I really like the stats where I see when was the last time I used a razor.

I use a dry erase board and write up in the corner the brand of blade I'm using. For example right now I have:

WS(Wilkinson Sword)1
GFusion( )
Atra G (3)
Atra P( )

G is for Gillette and p for Personna. This way I can keep track of how many shaves I can get out of a blade, and by doing this I like to think I'm extending the life of my blades even if it's just by a few shaves.

I don't leave my blade in the razor but air dry it attached to a magnet on the base of my brush/razor drying stand. I use a razor from a specific group for the first shave, another group for the second shave (with the same blade), etc. Therefore I know how many shaves with the blade based on the razor hanging on the stand. Sounds like silly nonsense, but wasting time is so much fun!

I'm a strict "three and out" when it comes to blades, and I only keep one razor loaded at a time, so I don't need to track...

...but if I did, I think the OP's dice system is a great idea.

I can "sort-of" keep track in my head. If I used dice, my five year old son would more than likely play with them. My wife is certainly capable of pulling tricks on me.

Owen

I use a sharpie and put a mark on the blade after each shave..

Cool, I think that's my solution.

No way I can leave dice laying around and not have someone mess with them or put them away somewhere even.

Thanks wscottb7862

I think Walking Dead comic Rick (in my Avatar) is marking his blades with missing limbs.

So if losing his hand was the first shave, wonder what goes after the second!?

:lol:

I move a blade around between razors until it's done keeping track just out of curiosity.
$20151015_195107.jpg
$20151015_195135.jpg
Don't mind the wallpaper, still leftover from the previous owner :001_rolle

Last edited:
I use an excel spreadsheet to keep track of what I use. That way I can put stats on what I use the most and the least. I also see which combo I tried and which I didn't. I can put up stats on a blade longevity versus which razor or in general. The dices don't work as some blades last 2 shaves and others 27 shaves... Depending on the blade and razor...

I really like the stats where I see when was the last time I used a razor.

Like Luc, I like seeing the different blade longevity and combos I've used.

I use the Shaving Buddy app, it gives similar feedback and statistics.

There's an app for that... If any of you guys use an an android phone go to the play Store and search for de shaving

I stopped bothering to keep track. A 7OC Yellow easily lasts me a week (7) of shaves. I change it whenever I feel like I haven't changed it in a while. I could get more than a week out of it but blades are cheap so I don't bother.

I use dice too, But i use two D10's
I am a little ambitious and want to see where I can go.
So far Feather's have the best longevity for me.

Looking over the Forums, I definitely feel that blade enthusiasts (I had another word in mind), can take the "hobby" or ours to a whole 'nother level. Spreadsheets, dice, and marking a super sharp cutting implement with a Sharpie. Whew... That's dedication.

I use a blade until if feels used up. That is between 3 and 8 shaves, with my best average with Personna Med Preps. After finding the highest average comfortable use per blade by brand, I don't track.
Why not? Let's say I had 4 shaves on a blade, but I thought it was 3. Now I get a great shave that I think is #4 but it was actually #5. Nothing changed.

However, I am glad someone is tracking. Every science endeavor needs its scientists.

Top Bottom