What's new

Keeping track of number of shaves from each cartridge

Does anyone other than me lose track of the number of shaves one gets from a razor, and if so please respond and tell me how they keep track?

I get about 6, but I only start using a new one when the old one starts to pull a bit; where if I knew I was on the 5th or 6th shave I would just throw away the old one. I bet I my face would feel better, and I would buy more razors.

For blades in general you can use dice so ideal for 6 shaves. You can also get percentile dice that go up to 10.

I used to use a little notepad with a pencil in the drawer where I kept my aftershave. Tick marks each day. Old school and effective!

I'm into my third 10 year journal from Lee Valley, sold as a gardening journal and that's what i bought and part of what i use it for. Has a page for each day of the year with ten, year divisions per page. Since starting using safety razors the blade and count is a tiny snippet of info included in each day's summary.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
proxy.php

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''dave

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I like the idea of a small notebook in the bathroom drawer. I only use my trusty Schick Super 2/Ultrex every 6 months or so. I use it when a DE shave has gone bad and to finish the shave I use my Schick. The problem is I can never remember how my shaves I have done with it. I used to use it exclusively and would shave until it tugged. I might "steal" the notebook trick and stick one in the drawer with all the other stuff.

Just change the blade every Saturday . That's what my father taught me back in 1980 when I started shaving and that's what I still do (I shave every day).

For blades in general you can use dice so ideal for 6 shaves. You can also get percentile dice that go up to 10.
Um... Percentile dice come in pairs: 0-9, and 00 to 90 by tens, so they go up to 99.
I rearranged these for this photo to indicate "100" for the 100 shaves I got from that Astra SP, instead of what should properly be read as "1".
Usually I'll start with a D20, then switch to the Percentile dice.

A small wad of Fun-Tak keeps them from rolling around accidentally.
proxy.php

When I care to keep track of such things, I am also generally posting here about it, or about the shaves. So The post, whether in my thread, the DE, SE, or Blade forum. I notate something like: Gillette Slim(4)/GSB(3). The next time in that thread, it will be the first previous post, so I scroll up, copy my previous post, paste it into the reply box, and make changes necessary. Gillette Slim(4)/GSB(4) in this case.

If I fail to post for a couple of days, I will use the date of the post, plus any known non-shave days to calculate the number to be added. I don't forget missing a shave :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Even if the blade is going strong at six turns of the die, it gets tossed. Got my money's worth.

AA

I like the idea of a small notebook in the bathroom drawer. I only use my trusty Schick Super 2/Ultrex every 6 months or so. I use it when a DE shave has gone bad and to finish the shave I use my Schick. The problem is I can never remember how my shaves I have done with it. I used to use it exclusively and would shave until it tugged. I might "steal" the notebook trick and stick one in the drawer with all the other stuff.

BEHOLD... The answer to all your troubles [emoji12][emoji106]

proxy.php

I put a little dot on the blade with a Sharpie. Blade gets replaced after five shaves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer spread sheets would let you keep track of everything shaving related including every item you have in inventory. The possibilities are endless.

Top Bottom