What's new

Keeping On A Poker Face

If there are sand pockets/etc flaws that usually means a #2 (though I've found a few higher grade ones that had those revealed after some use).

Completely clean and even grit throughout could be any grade (or ungraded/non-Norton branded)

Never can be sure because it seems ratings were kind of a binning process, so if someone worked past what got a particular stone binned down in the first place it could be in every way a higher grade stone than it started... even if originally it was a #2.

Also, there've been some things to suggest that #1's were of the same quality as LWW and RRW, but the latter two cost more because they were also sorted for grit/softness (the end labels on LWW, and I suspect all RRW were guaranteed soft/fast even if the labels don't say it) and presumably returnable (the warranty talk on the labels).

All that makes ID'ing the label/type of washita basically impossible on a naked stone.

Beyond that, just for ID'ing washita's that don't stick to the very characteristic/standard looks there can be a lot of challenges.

Soft arks vs washita's can be a tricky thing if you don't have a good eye for it, but there are tricks to it. Washita's get pretty crazy. I've had a couple as translucent as translucent hard arkansas. Really clean white ones you need to be right up close to in order to tell them from white soft or hard arkansas. Once they take on some oil, they tend to be a lot easier to ID, but it's still not always easy.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Is there any way to identify different types of washitas if they're unlabeled? You and others helped me i identify a mystery hone as a washita and i have a couple more i suspect are lily whites but the one i got recently has me perplexed. It's hard and feels very fine like a hard ark, it didn't slurry a single piece of grit and with hard pressure for 200 laps. I thought most were very frangible and that's what made them cut quick? This one has the feel of glass with a frosted out matte finish. Little tiny bumps but extremely fine and hard textured. Ive pretty much exclusively used arks my whole life bur ive never used a stone like this one. I love it though regardless of what it's called!

Its funny that different labeled stones that I have all look like each other. I have labeled #1 and #2 that are more white than a LWW. I have read story’s that the pit worker’s would classify stones by the tap report by hitting samples with there hammers. Even specific gravity values are all over the place on stones that look alike

Top Bottom