What's new

Keeping lather warm - an alternative to scuttle

Well...like most bowl latherers out there, I had been struggling to find that perfect something that would keep my nice uberlather warm for the duration of my shave. The scuttle seemed to offer the solution until I realized that I needed my lather to stay warm for longer than 15 minutes without the need to refresh the hot water in it.

Then about 1.5 months ago, I stumbled onto the solution

The "Sunbeam Hot Pot Express" (see picture below):

View attachment 108936

This thing offered many advantages (at least to me):

1. Cheap - $10-$12 at Target. Can't go wrong
2. Keeps water warm and has variable temperature control
3. I can put my mug/brush inside and fill both mug and pot with water and heat while I take my shower...I will have nice warm brush in under 3 minutes
4. I can build lather and put it back in the pot...the warm water in pot will keep the lather warm during each pass.

It is plain AWESOME
proxy.php
...and consistent temperatures all through my shaves, every time. Now, I love my lather even more.

Anyone else tried this?...If so, do share your experiences...good, bad and ugly

PS: I am sure that I have seen a video of someone (not sure if it was Joel or maybe I saw it on YouTube) using this technique too some time ago.
proxy.php

I'm not sure I have the extra electrical outlet in the bathroom, but I'm glad you've found your solution!

Personally, I just face-lather and add a couple drops of hot water to the brush before each pass. Works fine for me.

I used this set up for a while. I found the crock pot and the bowl at Kohls. I haven't used it for a while because I've been face lathering with my soaps lately. The only problem is there is no temp control on it so it can get real hot if I forget to unplug it. It would dry out my lather sometimes. Maybe I'll break it out next month and give it another try.

I have been folowing discussions of of scuttles for awhile. I am going to ask a proably really obvious question what is scuttle and wht is the purpose?

That is great...I think the video I saw was something similar. In what you have, the individual
1. warms the water,
2. pours it into a mug and puts the brush in
3. proceed to make lather (outside of the hot pot)

In my case, I keep everything inside.

i.e.,

Mug + brush + lather are inside the hot pot full of water) = HOT lather ALL THE TIME

Robert

Interesting variation on the use of an old standby for a lot of gents. I bet that does keep the lather toasty.

One of the oldest (if not THE oldest) lathering guides around these parts:
http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9

Hi Bladeruner

That's exactly the setup I am talking about...mine has temp control...so, no need to plug and unplug

Thanks for sharing

Robert

I used this set up for a while. I found the crock pot and the bowl at Kohls. I haven't used it for a while because I've been face lathering with my soaps lately. The only problem is there is no temp control on it so it can get real hot if I forget to unplug it. It would dry out my lather sometimes. Maybe I'll break it out next month and give it another try.

Hi Chris

I hear you...I tried that, but in my case, few drops of water don;t create a warm enough lather to enjoy...the temp of the lather becomes somewhat "patchy" and inconsistent. it works (even with cold lather), but I like a nice warm "goo" on my face :biggrin1:.

Thank you,
Robert

I also just add a couple drops of hot water to the brush before every pass, keeps my lather nice and warm.

I have been folowing discussions of of scuttles for awhile. I am going to ask a proably really obvious question what is scuttle and wht is the purpose?

It's a device which keeps lather warm; this is accomplished by having an outer chamber which holds hot water. This cut-away of a Georgetown Pottery scuttle is helpful.

proxy.php

The bottom part holds hot water, and the top part is where you make lather. This is just one approach to keeping lather warm.

not an endorsement of the georgetown pottery scuttle

It's a device which keeps lather warm; this is accomplished by having an outer chamber which holds hot water. This cut-away of a Georgetown Pottery scuttle is helpful.

proxy.php

The bottom part holds hot water, and the top part is where you make lather. This is just one approach to keeping lather warm.

not an endorsement of the georgetown pottery scuttle

Wow- talk about a picture worth a thousand words. I have a moss scuttle and it rocks at keeping the lather warm if you do multi pass shaves.

There are other innovative solutions here too.

Based on what I saw on this thread, I checked on amazon.com and came up with this goodie. Has variable temperature controls. Ordered today. $20.

Well...like most bowl latherers out there, I had been struggling to find that perfect something that would keep my nice uberlather warm for the duration of my shave. The scuttle seemed to offer the solution until I realized that I needed my lather to stay warm for longer than 15 minutes without the need to refresh the hot water in it.

Then about 1.5 months ago, I stumbled onto the solution

The "Sunbeam Hot Pot Express" (see picture below):

View attachment 108936

This thing offered many advantages (at least to me):

1. Cheap - $10-$12 at Target. Can't go wrong
2. Keeps water warm and has variable temperature control
3. I can put my mug/brush inside and fill both mug and pot with water and heat while I take my shower...I will have nice warm brush in under 3 minutes
4. I can build lather and put it back in the pot...the warm water in pot will keep the lather warm during each pass.

It is plain AWESOME
proxy.php
...and consistent temperatures all through my shaves, every time. Now, I love my lather even more.

Anyone else tried this?...If so, do share your experiences...good, bad and ugly

PS: I am sure that I have seen a video of someone (not sure if it was Joel or maybe I saw it on YouTube) using this technique too some time ago.
proxy.php
Another way is to shave over the grill outside and have hot lather and a steak at the same time. Perhaps a small Hibachi or a fondue pot. combine the pleasure of shaving with the pleasure of eating!!!!

Top Bottom