What's new

Keeping Cigars at a consistent temperature.

My humidor is in my house. With no independent means of temperature control, I rely on my house’s thermostat to do the job of maintaining a consistent temperature. Problem is, the wife’s always cold and likes to bump it up a few degrees. I think that she’s gonna flip the next time. LMAO. If you never hear from me again, tell the cops that it was the wife in the study with a pipe.

B7FA580F-3B1B-4E21-ABF2-95527B0763FC.jpeg
7A702415-FF7D-4E3C-91F6-7406D37491C5.jpeg
0B2C316E-3E47-4F4F-8E19-A96F3FA598F4.jpeg

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Chico:
Purchase some Boveda Packs for humidor...toss in...toss out when the pack becomes hard/solid. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"A cigar [humidor] ought not to be [used] solely with the...hand, [but with] the eyes, and with the spirit". Zino Davidoff

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Chico:
Purchase some Boveda Packs for humidor...toss in...toss out when the pack becomes hard/solid. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"A cigar [humidor] ought not to be [used] solely with the...hand, [but with] the eyes, and with the spirit". Zino Davidoff

If you place the dried out packet in a sealed container with distilled water, elevated out of the water, it will rehydrate. No need to toss.

I use 8 Bovedas that routinely get distilled water baths. No issues with humidity. They don’t however control temperature very well. This post, nonetheless, was more about giving everyone a chuckle as opposed to actually seeking information.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
My humidor is in my house. With no independent means of temperature control, I rely on my house’s thermostat to do the job of maintaining a consistent temperature. Problem is, the wife’s always cold and likes to bump it up a few degrees. I think that she’s gonna flip the next time. LMAO. If you never hear from me again, tell the cops that it was the wife in the study with a pipe.

View attachment 1044526View attachment 1044527View attachment 1044528

LOL! I didn't get past the first sentence before the thought of a wife came to mind.

The older ladies like the house cool. If you're not old enough yet, you'll learn eventually.

Thank goodness for the dual-zone temps in the car, or I would freeze!

Cigars are pretty comfortable at any temperature between 50 and the mid 70s, so I don't think you have much to worry about. If you think they're ever gonna go above 80F, then you have to take them down to -20F first to kill any beetle eggs.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I use 8 Bovedas that routinely get distilled water baths. No issues with humidity. They don’t however control temperature very well. This post, nonetheless, was more about giving everyone a chuckle as opposed to actually seeking information.

Do you actually soak the Bovedas to recharge them or do you do like Kentos said and just let them absorb ambient moisture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you actually soak the Bovedas to recharge them or do you do like Kentos said and just let them absorb ambient moisture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Immerse them. It takes a few days to fully recharge. They’ve been through quite a few cycles already and are still fine. I’d imagine that I’ll have to replacement them at some point but until then I’ll spend the money I save on more cigars and pipe tobacco.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Two words: Wine Cellar. ;)

Wine Cellar good. Wineador not so good.

I have heard, and seen, of too many disaster stories with the latter. Maybe they have ironed the bugs out of them.

I've never heard of direct soaking a Boveda to recharge them. That's interesting. I've had great success with rehydrating them in a humid container. My understanding is because of the osmotic membrane nature of them, they are only effective for so long until the membrane face contaminates.

I have to think immersing them in water is only going to accelerate that contamination, as you no longer have the evaporative buffer of the air to keep any water impurities from them. But if it's working, go for it.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
This.

Exactly what I use: heartfelt 65s. And that's where the RH sits. These beads are what archivists use to protect priceless items in tightly climate-controlled cases.

I also keep an ancient cigar oasis in the bottom, set to the very low 60s, as backup, just in case I am abducted by aliens for more than a few weeks.

Living with 3 women (wife & 2 daughter) the temp in my house is alway between 70/74 degrees. I’ve never had a problem with cigars in that range. Now that I use Bovedas for everything, I never have problems with humidity either.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
If you place the dried out packet in a sealed container with distilled water, elevated out of the water, it will rehydrate. No need to toss.
Kent:
BTW, how does one (I'm a visual person), do that
proxy.php

proxy.php
"A cigar in a humidor is worth two in the bush"! Unknown Author

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
What I do is to soak a paper towel in distilled water then put the towel in a ziplock bag with the bovida but not touching and zip it up. I would guess you could do the same with a small bowl of distilled water. For me it takes quite a bit of time to re-hydrate . . . like a couple of weeks or more.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
What I do is to soak a paper towel in distilled water then put the towel in a ziplock bag with the bovida but not touching and zip it up. I would guess you could do the same with a small bowl of distilled water. For me it takes quite a bit of time to re-hydrate . . . like a couple of weeks or more.
Mike:
Oh Mannn. Fiddlestix...if they take that long to re-hydrate...I'll just replace it with a new one.
proxy.php

Cigar and Cigar Matches.jpg
"Gentlemen", said the Count…as he entered…"will you return to the [smoking room]? You will find good cigars [in] the center table [humidor]”. "The Count of Monte Cristo"

Last edited:

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Mike:
Oh Mannn. Fiddlestix...if they take that long to re-hydrate...I'll just replace it with a new one.
proxy.php

View attachment 1051719"Gentlemen", said the Count…as he entered…"will you return to the [smoking room]? You will find good cigars [in] the center table [humidor]”. "The Count of Monte Cristo"

So I know of people that actually put them in an airtight container with distilled water. Like do a submerge type of thing. Cuts down the time tremendously. They will swell up though and eventually even out

Top Bottom