What's new

Keep ONE constant and change the rest

Ok, another hypothetical question:

If tou had to keep ONE of the following constant, and change the rest, what would it be, for you?

1) Just one razor

2) Just one brush

3) Just one soap/cream

Blades and AS don't count.

For me, the razor. Easy choice. I could live with one razor (Gillette Brazilian Goodwill - thank you, @Hannah's Dad !) and be happy for the rest of my shaving days.

Tough one. It would have to be the razor for me too, because I don’t rotate razors every day.

However, I have recently acquired several new razors so at the moment I couldn’t tell which would be “the one”

I can easly shave with only one brush for the rest of my life if it can last that long. Same goes for aftershaves as well. I can understand if someone owns 1 or 2 brushes from each type to see the difference, but owning 10-20 or more brushes of the same type is just beyond me.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
For me it is also a brush constant. I am quite happy just using my Chinese guaranteed genuine pure best badger hair synthetic brush. I get my jollies from shaving with different SR's and occasionally changing soaps.

Ok, another hypothetical question:

If tou had to keep ONE of the following constant, and change the rest, what would it be, for you?

1) Just one razor

2) Just one brush

3) Just one soap/cream

Blades and AS don't count.

For me, the razor. Easy choice. I could live with one razor (Gillette Brazilian Goodwill - thank you, @Hannah's Dad !) and be happy for the rest of my shaving days.
You should have made this a vote it would give clearer info I believe. But as for me the older I get the more content with the things I have because I have already been through enough razors, brushes, and soaps that I could be content with just about anything I have for the rest of my days. If forced to choose I believe the brush would be my choice to keep tddup.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
After just rereading Anthony Bourdain’s “Kitchen Confidential,” and his insight on chef knives, I gotta go with the razor. It’s the primary tool of the art of shaving. And my personal choice would be any one of the razors in my drawer. There aren’t many, yet they remain in the rotation because they are spectacular.

The razor - as long as I have my Muhle R41 I'm happy. I can probably stick with one brush and one soap at this point - as long as the soap is a good performer I don't need to switch at all. After being in restraints for the past several years, and 3017ing soaps I really don't have a need to sample and try everything any longer.

It'd be hard but I'd have to go with the razor as well. Keeping the razor constant allows for a consistent result. Brush and soap doesn't affect the shave as much for me but it's more of the fine details like face feel, scent, post-shave, etcs.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Razor!

I can change brush and soap, and keep the same quality shave, without having to modify my technique. Changing razors, changes angles, and potentially needs me to make other tweaks to get back to the same balance of closeness and comfort.

Any change of razor can take me two weeks or more to fully tune in to the subtle nuances of it. Not so with brush and soap. Yes, I can get a "good enough" shave much sooner, but I have come to expect much more from my shaves than simply "acceptable".

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
It would not be razors. I enjoy using a variety of different SR's, shapes, styles, grind and steel origin. Also enjoy the occasional DE shave and have no problem switching between the two. Same for brushes. I guess that leaves soap. If forced I could live with one soap as long as I could 3017 and replace with another favorite.

I love rotating among various razors, brushes, and soaps. Although I now have over 200 soaps in my den, I could select one of my top three and use it every day; not that I would ever do that. I often use a different razor for each pass of my four-pass shave, so I would not want to restrict myself to only one razor.

I would have to go with razor. Though I’m pretty well set with the rest of my setup with the exception of soaps and aftershave scents. I love scents too much. I generally only use one of my Gillette techs. Blades I’ll use for awhile but change up when the mood hits. Brush is the only other sticking point for me as I don’t have a large collection of brushes. I tend to use the most recently purchased one and tend to like synthetics the best

Top Bottom