What's new

Keep it Clean

I keep my straight clean and dry by drying it on a rough tea towel (bearing in mind that at the micro level the razor’s face contains thousands of lunar craters) then swabbing it both sides, and the edge and back, with a tissue dipped in methylated spirits (70 per cent alcohol). Swabbing sterilises the blade, ensuring that you don't get those occasional infective face-bumps that can occur after wet shaving. It also ensures that the blade is well and truly dry before you pack it away.

I don't do anything special to clean my razors. They get washed with soap and water every time I use them.

I do dry them very carefully though. Carbon steel doesn't like water... While I'm shaving give the blade a quick wipe after each rinse to keep it dry and stop water running into the pivot.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I use natural goat chamois to dry and clean my blade after each use before oiling it. I also dry the inside of the scales with toilet paper before the SR goes back into it's timber case.

Rinse under running water with spine up and edge out 45 degrees, wipe dry with a cotton towel. Repeat and store in a dry place.

I wipe the soap off on a piece of toilet paper after every 'swipe' so as to keep the blade from any water. I wipe the blade on the clean end of the paper, then wipe on a towel to dry the scales & blade. I let it sit open while I have breakfast, then baby oil it with 2 drops before putting it back in it's box (out of the bathroom). I have had issues in the past with rust (Sydney is humid and at the moment it's a ridiculous 85%) so am a little paranoid.

As far as infection goes, I do nothing. Being a single open blade there are no crevices for skin/hair/soap to accumulate (I'm looking at you Mr cartridge, you filthy little man) so I have never had issues with skin infections. This was not the case with carts for obvious reasons.

I did buy a second hand razor and gave it a thorough clean down on the scales & pin where filth accumulates. The blade was sanded back then polished, so not much point putting alcohol on it.

I wipe the soap off on a piece of toilet paper after every 'swipe' so as to keep the blade from any water. I wipe the blade on the clean end of the paper, then wipe on a towel to dry the scales & blade. I let it sit open while I have breakfast, then baby oil it with 2 drops before putting it back in it's box (out of the bathroom). I have had issues in the past with rust (Sydney is humid and at the moment it's a ridiculous 85%) so am a little paranoid.

As far as infection goes, I do nothing. Being a single open blade there are no crevices for skin/hair/soap to accumulate (I'm looking at you Mr cartridge, you filthy little man) so I have never had issues with skin infections. This was not the case with carts for obvious reasons.

I did buy a second hand razor and gave it a thorough clean down on the scales & pin where filth accumulates. The blade was sanded back then polished, so not much point putting alcohol on it.
Renaissance Wax is a good product if you are worried about corrosion. It leaves a long lasting finish on the blade. It doesn’t bead or travel into the pin over time. It’s also a little grippy which is a good thing with razors. You can tell it’s still there because of how the water beads up on the blade. It’s easily removed with acetone if required. All of my razors get an occasional treatment. It’s gives peace of mind for anything in longer term storage. It’s good enough for the British National Museum.

I’ve gone the sponge route for cleaning the blade between passes. The sponge sits on the side of the sink. It conforms to the shape of the blade and prevents you from hitting the tap or dosing the pivot by accident while rinsing. Works well and it’s reusable.

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I just rinse the lather off with running water during and after the shave, then dry by drawing it between TP, pinched between thumb and finger. From there, I hit the .1u balsa. I always keep a batch of Barbicide mixed up in my official Barbicide jar but for my own razor that is not new to me, I don't bother with any chemical sanitizing. I honestly don't see the need for it. I don't oil, usually, but I also do not keep my razors (except shavettes) in the bathroom.

Rinse under warm running water.
Wipe down with a microfiber towel.
TP for any remaining damp spots.
Strop 15 on clean linen.
Strop 30 on clean leather.
Store in an open rack until the weekend's balsa session.

All my razors are disinfected with Barbicide and treated with RenWax on acquisition. I reapply RenWax periodically thereafter.

Rinse under warm running water.
Wipe down with a microfiber towel.
TP for any remaining damp spots.
Strop 15 on clean linen.
Strop 30 on clean leather.
Store in an open rack until the weekend's balsa session.

Alan,

You say "the weekend's balsa session"

I suspect you mean you are doing diamond pasted balsa per the method, but not daily.

I used to do .1u balsa after every shave. Now I just strop on hanging leather, shave, and put it away. Monday to Friday. Saturday morning I do fifty laps on .5u, then .25u then .1u balsa and its ready to go again.

how about you?

@kohalajohn - Well, I do it weekly, but it's "daily" from the razor's perspective.

I use the razor once, then put it in the rack. It gets 0.1u diamond pasted balsa on the weekend, then goes back into the cabinet to be used again. The same applies to all 6 or 7 razors I used through the week.

Ah. That's interesting Alan. I suspect you're not talking about an identical seven day set, you're just talking about a bunch of different razors.

That deals with the only thing I find awkward about The Method, the additional time it takes every morning. I'd rather save it up and do it all on a slow and lazy Saturday morning, as you do. I might try your method of The Method.

And sorry, "bunch" is an awkward term. I read somewhere the Collective Noun for razors should be an Occamage of razors. But even that doesn't feel right.

A Slice of razors?

Whoops, unintentional thread derailment...

Since it's not a 7DS how do you separate the used ones?

I store the 40 in a multi-drawer case.
16089398429661363364194397644215.jpg
I select the razor of the day from the case and, after use, it goes into a 7-slot rack
16089399243845487227064507562188.jpg
rather then back into the case.

Each weekend everything in the rack gets the balsa and a good stropping, then back into the case to be available for the next week's choosing.

I wipe the sides of the blade with a towel and then strop it on linen and then leather for a few laps and put it back in my wooden (cigar) box which is keep in another (not bathroom) room.

That's it and I've had no problem doing it that way for years.

I run mine under the tap, where I lightly squeeze the bevel between my fingers, then I fill the hollow of the blade with a little water and wipe it clean with a towel to get any soap stains off, then I wipe it dry. Next I do 5-7 palm strops. I watched a video once where a guy was looking at the razor under a microscope after shaving. The edge was messy with tiny spots of soap scum and blood etc dried onto the edge. Underneath these spots though was trapped moisture and it’s this that often pits an edge. After a few palm strops the edge was so much cleaner. So marked was the effect that I’ve been palm stropping every since. After the palm I give it 7 on linen, tissue the inside and out of the scales and put it in my box in the bathroom.

Top Bottom