What's new

Kaywoodie Pipes - Antique Store Rescues

Any Kaywoodie collectors hanging out in here?

I rescued both of these pipes from antique stores over Thanksgiving.

These were my first 2 attempts at bringing old pipes back to life and I absolutely loved the process. I reamed the bowls, used the alcohol/salt method to remove ghosting, sanded and polished the stems and then polished the rest. I'm sure I have lots to learn and I look forward to many more restorations in the near future. :w00t:

The dark pipe is a Kaywoodie 73S Relief Meerschaum (meerschaum lined bowl) and the white pipe is a Kaywoodie White Briar with no serial number.

Any comments, criticism, pointers, etc would be most appreciated. Also, if you have photos of your own Kaywoodie pipes please post them as well.

$kaywoodie1.jpg$kaywoodie2.jpg$kaywoodie3.jpg$kaywoodie4.jpg$kaywoodie5.jpg

There's a Kaywoodie Coral at my local antique shop that I've been talking myself out of for 6 months now, they want $27 for it and it needs some work to say the least. It's more of a Dublin shape. The only Kaywoodie I have currently is a churchwarden. Nice work on those pipes.

Attachments

• $woodie4.JPG
    $woodie4.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 77
  • $woodie7.JPG
    $woodie7.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 77
Nice work. At least as good as my first attempt at restoration and I didn't tackle a meerschaum or rusticated. It's a really good feeling when you bring an old pipe back to life.

There's a Kaywoodie Coral at my local antique shop that I've been talking myself out of for 6 months now, they want $27 for it and it needs some work to say the least. It's more of a Dublin shape. The only Kaywoodie I have currently is a churchwarden. Nice work on those pipes.

There are a couple of nice pipes at an antique shop near work along with some total dross. Unfortunately, my valuation differs from their sticker price by a factor of about five even if they were restored and they are all needing a lot of work. On most they seem pretty realistic about prices and they run regular auctions so you'd think they'd have a decent idea of what people will pay for stuff. But if you think their pipes are overpriced, you should see their collection of cigarette tins!

Top Bottom