Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
No worries here at all.

It’s still a one man shop for the most part. I placed my order the second it was released and will use the brass CB and others before the stainless arrival.

I have used every high and low end razor over the last 20 years and yesterday shaved with my wonderful Wolfman WR2.

The Karve CB design and shave beats them all...including my Blackbird mentioned above.

May I ask which plates you use?

Honestly, I think his wisest course of action would be something in between Wolfman and Charcoal Goods. Build up a supply of handles, caps, and plates in ratios supported by past sales. Once he has gotten such quantities as he can afford to create ready to go, have the sale portion of the site go "live", and sell what you have, taking a small amount of "wait list orders", as well. Bank the money from inventory while finishing off the wait list purchases, and start the whole process over again.

Less hassles from disgruntled buyers, and the advantage of creating the buzz of expectation for a quality product that you cannot just "go to the store and order".

Great perspective. Thank you!

No worries here at all.

It’s still a one man shop for the most part. I placed my order the second it was released and will use the brass CB and others before the stainless arrival.

I have used every high and low end razor over the last 20 years and yesterday shaved with my wonderful Wolfman WR2.

The Karve CB design and shave beats them all...including my Blackbird mentioned above.

Currently there are 63 people signed up on the wait list for stainess steel razors. I imagine alot of those are from overseas requests.

Well, just so all of you who ordered SS don't feel singled out, I ordered a brass CB on 6/27 and was told that once they finish working on all the orders preceding mine "hopefully this week" I will receive a ship notice. Not very encouraging.

There are valid points on both sides, including the fact the we have all become impatient nowadays (myself included here...), and want every product to be available “now”, whilst also maintaining excellent quality.

There is no doubt that Chris is a very talented hardworking guy, with great attention to detail (which means great quality control, but also slower production, shipping, etc).
I really don’t think that he’s trying to trick people, by deliberately lying about timings, etc

If a vendor says a product is available and that they are adding inventory on Instagram, only then to let people know that said inventory wasn’t actually ready? That’s what people have the issue with, nothing to do with patience or understanding. Deliberate or not, the “confusion” from lack of clarity worked in Karve’s favour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If a vendor says a product is available and that they are adding inventory on Instagram, only then to let people know that said inventory wasn’t actually ready? That’s what people have the issue with, nothing to do with patience or understanding. Deliberate or not, the “confusion” from lack of clarity worked in Karve’s favour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see they’ve done a live Q&A session on the Karve Instagram yesterday evening (Chris and Jack).
I haven’t had time to watch it, but they might have answered some of the questions and “complaints” (hopefully..)....

I see they’ve done a live Q&A session on the Karve Instagram yesterday evening (Chris and Jack).
I haven’t had time to watch it, but they might have answered some of the questions and “complaints” (hopefully..)....

Where would I go to watch that? Is there a link available?

Thanks

I'd rather he let Jack take that and put some more time in the shop filling orders.

I checked via my cell phone and click profile pic and couldn't find anything re the Q&A on the Karve Instagram account.

Then I found that the Q&A apparently didn't occur from another member's post on the "Karve Stainless Still Not Shipped!" thread - "He posted on Instagram he was going live at 7:30 MST 7/8 Monday and taking questions but he never did."

I am told, via email, that the delay relates to an issue with the passivation process. In the lead up to going live, they were using one process. He was also working with a supplier on a method to allow for "bulk" passivation to cut down on production time. That method did not turn out successfully, due to some poor information from the supplier, requiring a return to the slower passivation process used when testing out the prototypes.

I checked via my cell phone and click profile pic and couldn't find anything re the Q&A on the Karve Instagram account.

Then I found that the Q&A apparently didn't occur from another member's post on the "Karve Stainless Still Not Shipped!" thread - "He posted on Instagram he was going live at 7:30 MST 7/8 Monday and taking questions but he never did."

The Q&A on Instagram certainly happened last night, I just watched it now on Instagram (as someone already explained, go to their Instagram account, the profile pic has a little play symbol at the bottom, click on it...).
Chris and Jack taking live questions from Instagram users.

Interesting to watch...
I’ve seen a photo of Chris somewhere in the past, but that’s the first time I’ve seen him in a video. Looks like a nice and very modest guy.

Anyway...
They obviously did address the delay in shipping SS razors. It does come down to the passivation process, as mentioned.
They didn’t clearly say that, but it sounds like they had enough SS parts manufactured for the orders they took, but those parts hadn't gone through the passivation process, and that hasn’t gone as expected.
The razors were functionally OK, but he wasn’t entirely happy with the aesthetics.
So he’s reverted back to a different passivation process which he had used in some earlier prototypes.
He’s been doing some more tests last week, topcaps OK, now testing the process on handles and baseplates, etc, and hopes to be able to start shipping at the end of this week.

They did mention several times when answering various questions during the discussion that quality and quality control is number 1, which I guess most people here already knew.
And which explains the delay.... he is a perfectionist....

He also talked briefly about his shop and his “crew”. It’s Chris, another full time employee, and two part time employees, so usually three people in the shop most days, so a small team.

He did touch on other things, titanium and copper razors, more brushes, etc, but he did say repeatedly that he is only focusing on the SS razor at present, and everything else is in the future.

Top Bottom