What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
I just bought a new bait-casting reel and realized how badly we’ve been getting fleeced on razors. The workmanship and precision involved for the price has opened my eyes to the rip-off that high end razors are.

I used to fish a lot and bought some high end gear like accurate ATD, Boss, daiwa saltigas etc the irony is I was paying as much for a motorcycle with some of these reels.... That's economies of scale for you.

Let's not go I to diving regulators and rebreathers.

Mawashi

I inquired about the pricing for the SS offering and the response was in the $170-185 range. I then proceeded to inquire why he was going to charge double what the Brass cost with material and tooling costs between the two being pretty much the same and nothing but crickets!! At this point I am thinking the justification in price is merely to be in the same ballpark with whats being offered in the market right now... IMO, big mistake and he'll lose sales because of it!!

Thanks for all the feedback, gentlemen. I've got some things to try. Based on the feedback here, I'm going to order A and B plates in solid bar and an OC F plate for those times when I have the 4+ days growth. It will be interesting.

I have a Brass unit with 3 plates. Going to save my money and not buy a Stainless one. Too much hype and too little difference. It’s a great razor but I can be happy with my brass one. Much ado about nothing.

Could get expensive if you don't know which plate to get -- at least I only have a choice of open or closed comb for the Tatara (they are prepping a new edition however... ) and no import taxes for those in Europe.

77393B48-4EB5-48EE-8CE7-ADC2E962E967.jpeg
Mail call!

I second the decision to order the B plate.

I realize that everyone is different. After one year using a Merkur 34C, I was reliably getting DFSs with minimal irritation and then I bought a Karve with B, C and D plates. And my shaves became inconsistent. I recently started chanting “little to no pressure” and my shaves have become much more reliable with the Karve.

My theory is simple - the added weight of the Karve naturally produces more pressure. So I need to consciously lighten up the pressure and relax my hands, wrists and arms - yes, I am a two-handed shaver.

A colleague at work just got a Rockwell T and had one of those shaves from hell - he told me it was too much pressure. My daughter recently had the same experience when she dropped a Feather into her Merkur 1904 and shaved the goosebumps off her leg.

Trust your razor - it will shave stubble all by itself. All you have to do is direct it to the right spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know how to fix this for you. You need to be a cold water shaver and shave at night. You need a tub of Grooming Dept Mallard or Tallow soap. You need to be 100% certain you know exactly what the grain of the hair on your neck is and only shave with the grain. Lather your face and neck and shave your face only with whatever Karve plate gives you a great shave while your neck continues to soak in the Grooming Dept lather. After you finish with your face switch to the Karve A plate and confidently do one or two passes with the grain only on your neck and don't be afraid to use a bit of pressure to make sure you remove the hair. Rinse and dry off and mix some vaseline and neosporin in your hands and rub it on your neck. If you have to wear a collared shirt the next day rub another thin layer of vaseline on your neck in the morning .

If the above doesn't work then just get an RS-10 with the mild plate and a feather blade.

Ouch!

Ok well, with respect to your more direct question, “So maybe it would be better to ask the people that own a Karve razor, have sensitive skin, and need to shave daily: What plate do you use without getting irritation or razor burn?”

I have what I believe is sensitive skin, use a Karve, and have shaved with it daily.

I find the F open comb the most comfortable. Especially if I’m only doing a single pass.

You don’t have to like the answer, but try to respect it.

I’m with @Earcutter. I don’t think I have sensitive skin, but if I use a “mild” razor, I generally get irritation, likely because I apply too much pressure and spend mindless minutes buffing over and over again...

The Karve F open comb plate is a tremendous solution on my face. I have gone a couple of weeks with happy daily use of this plate, using a Feather or a Kai.

And . . . just to add some spice . . . in response to a question on IG, Chris mentioned that "Copper" is in the future, too. Not really a surprise, I guess, but this is the first time I've seen him say so.

According to rumor, it’s almost here!

06A9BE84-6778-4615-8F44-ACCFBB3A2753.jpeg

And I couldn’t be more disappointed!

My “love affair” with Karve is a convoluted story, but ultimately after going though a couple of their solid comb plates, I thought I hated the thing. Then out of desperation I got their most aggressive open comb plate, the F, and the clouds parted and the angels began to sing. So it’s only natural that I’ve been Jonesing for the stainless version except...

EB4D91B9-B695-4F09-B083-6DE48A3F1ED2.png

$170 - $185 USD? Man, that’s a little expensive! From $75, to $175? Arg.

Now if that wasn’t bad enough, open combs are seemingly going to be hard to come by.

D28C5DD6-9463-4E2B-8466-E0D63FAF0B46.jpeg

I’ve been dying for the stainless to come out, but now I’m not sure. I REALLY want one, but it’s got to be the open comb which will be hard won... and at $175 USD...

What about you? Will you be getting one?

I like my Karve and always wanted one in SS. However, I don't know if I will be the first one on the block to get one or will wait for a price drop.

Curious about the poll . . . other than buying "used", why would anyone be expecting a price drop of any kind?

From the attached postings, it appears that his "current method" of production is where the "$170-$185" price is coming from, but that he is working on some things that will allow for a lower price. To me, that implies that when they do hit the market, the price might be lower than what has been noted so far, not that he will put out a short run at a higher price, followed by regular production for less. That would be a terrible idea for a small business. I am left with the impression that Chris has heard the rumblings about the projected price point and is looking to find a way to lower it.

I'll be getting an OC "B" plate, with and SB "C" plate as well as a 3.5" handle.

Last edited:
If the price ends up in line with the brass maybe on a sale or something, or when he gets production up and suppliers stocked up then yes.

At $170+ I see no need to do so, when I love my brass model so much. If I need a travel razor I'll grab another brass version and still be under cost for the SS.

I love my Karve and using the D SB plate. I think the price point of the SS version will cause me to wait it out, or do without.

Curious about the poll . . . other than buying "used", why would anyone be expecting a price drop of any kind?

From the attached postings, it appears that his "current method" of production is where the "$170-$185" price is coming from, but that he is working on some things that will allow for a lower price. To me, that implies that when they do hit the market, the price might be lower than what has been noted so far, not that he will put out a short run at a higher price, followed by regular production for less. That would be a terrible idea for a small business. I am left with the impression that Chris has heard the rumblings about the projected price point and is looking to find a way to lower it.

I'll be getting an OC "B" plate, with and SB "C" plate as well as a 3.5" handle.

He said he was looking at ways to lowering the cost.

eb4d91b9-b695-4f09-b083-6de48a3f1ed2-png.988093

Yes, I know, and stated such . . . my point is that I doubt very much he is going to release _____ number of completed razors at the $170 - 185 price IF these alternatives he mentions will lower his costs going forward. To sell _____ razors for one price, and then come out with the same razor at a lower price would be suicidal.

I like my brass Karve, but I don’t see a need to get the SS, even if it were the same price as the brass version.
There’s that. I got excited because after buying the 3” handled Karve, I realized I really want a 3.5.” I figured I’d get the 3.5” in stainless. Maybe i’ll just get a new handle and call it good.

Top Bottom