What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
In my opinion, GC .84 shaved similarly (in efficiency) to Karve C plate. Although The Karve C (for my skin type) was significantly smoother than the GC.84. The D is a step up in efficiency than the GC.84. GC.84 is smooth but no where close to as smooth as the B plate in either Sb or Oc format. (My Karve is in Stainless steel) Karve stayed, the Gc .84 went to BSt. I enjoyed my GC .84, efficient & smooth and delivered great shaves as well. All in all I prefer Karve razor.

In my opinion, GC .84 shaved similarly (in efficiency) to Karve C plate. Although The Karve C (for my skin type) was significantly smoother than the GC.84. The D is a step up in efficiency than the GC.84. GC.84 is smooth but no where close to as smooth as the B plate in either Sb or Oc format. (My Karve is in Stainless steel) Karve stayed, the Gc .84 went to BSt. I enjoyed my GC .84, efficient & smooth and delivered great shaves as well. All in all I prefer Karve razor.

This has been my experience so far as well. I started with the B plate and found it very smooth but I was sometimes getting irritation from buffing because it wasn't quite efficient enough. The C plate is really growing on me and is all I have been using lately. Like you said, similar efficiency to the G.C. .84 but smoother on my face at least. Still have yet to try my D plate, and will likely still buy another .84 G.C. baseplate to replace the one I traded away as I think part of what was causing me grief with it was my technique.

Hi, Karve fans
I am looking for a brass C plate. It seems like the suppliers are out of stock. I guess its do to this crazy thing the worlds going threw right now. If someone here in the US would like to part with one, let me know.
Thank you
Wyatt

Hi, Karve fans
I am looking for a brass C plate. It seems like the suppliers are out of stock. I guess its do to this crazy thing the worlds going threw right now. If someone here in the US would like to part with one, let me know.
Thank you
Wyatt
You might want to post a WTB in the BST here on the forum. You will probably get a better or quicker response to your request...

FYI... What's going on now has absolutely nothing to do with why Karve has no stock!! Maybe if you read the thread completely you would know why...

You might want to post a WTB in the BST here on the forum. You will probably get a better or quicker response to your request...

FYI... What's going on now has absolutely nothing to do with why Karve has no stock!! Maybe if you read the thread completely you would know why...
Lol. My thoughts exactly.

With over 3300 posts, reading this thread is like tackling War and Peace. Let's cut him some slack.

Spoke to Chris this weekend. It takes a lot longer to make a single razor even with machinery involved than people realize. It’s just him in the shop.

Too many preachers on their high horses giving lectures. Plenty of other artisan razors available for purchase if you don’t want to wait for a Karve.

He has said in the past that he had hired on help. Guess that is no longer the case.

Regardless, I am glad that my Karve inventory is sufficient such that I no longer feel the urge to purchase more.

He has said in the past that he had hired on help. Guess that is no longer the case.

Regardless, I am glad that my Karve inventory is sufficient such that I no longer feel the urge to purchase more.

He had, however with current isolation causing events he is now the only person in the shop, at least he was when we talked when I did curbside pick up for some software items

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious.
Anyone have both and tried interchanging the caps, baseplates? If so how doid that work?
I'd imagine since they both share the same geometry that wouldn't be a problem.

Just curious.
Anyone have both and tried interchanging the caps, baseplates? If so how doid that work?
I'd imagine since they both share the same geometry that wouldn't be a problem.

Correct.
Have both brass and SS razors, and you can mix and match parts, they fit perfectly.

I have both but I have not mixed the metal pieces. At one point (maybe even now), Karve counseled against that explaining that the metals might react to each other in a negative way. I don't know if there's a minimum length of time for such contact to cause any harm (even if only cosmetically). Given the responses above, I would expect the time to be longer than one shave.

I have both but I have not mixed the metal pieces. At one point (maybe even now), Karve counseled against that explaining that the metals might react to each other in a negative way. I don't know if there's a minimum length of time for such contact to cause any harm (even if only cosmetically). Given the responses above, I would expect the time to be longer than one shave.

True, I remember seeing that on the Karve website as well at some point.
Then I saw this on Charcoal Goods site:

“Can I mix and match different metals?
You bet and this can create a very unique looking razor! You might read on the internet that mixing dissimilar metals will cause the two items to seize through galvanic corrosion. This only occurs if very specific conditions are met and this is not applicable to an item like a 3-piece safety razor. Never store any safety razor with the blade installed and you won't have any problems.“

So I used the SS topcap and handle with a brass baseplate (and vice versa) a couple of times, without any issue.
I did disassemble the razor at the end of the shave, though.
I know the brass topcap will easily and smoothly screw into the SS handle, or the other way around, but I don’t think I ever used it in that configuration (I would imagine that’s when you’re likely to run into problems, as brass is softer and you can damage the threads if not careful...).

Thank for your replies. I had read the information on the CG site and thought it shouldn't be a problem with the Karve.
Is there a difference in feel between both Karves?
I have a brass one with sb plates B through F. I'm intrigued by the SS version but not sure I want to invest in extra plates..........

The specifications suggest the shave will be identical. My impression was that the steel was just a whisper more efficient. Not enough ever to justify the price difference.

I would say that for many, the benefit of the steel Karve over brass is that there is no real maintenance required of steel. With a brass version, if you want to avoid water spots, you will probably want to spend 30-60 seconds after a shave breaking down your razor and drying it. Or if you are like me, you will love the brass metal more than the steel, still want that ease of maintenance, and then get it plated.

There is a lovely metal scent of brass, though. Some like that 'penny' smell, some don't. Another huge benefit of brass is the lovely patina (aged, worn-metal look) that develops over time. I always think of a brass patina like worn leather. Everything about that worn look makes it more ... unique to the user.

I bought my brass around Feb of 2019, the steel in June 2019 (arrived in early Aug), and then plated the brass in Jan of 2020.

What is the point exactly in owning both brass Karve and a stainless steel Karve?
Rationally? None. For some it was buying the brass first because it was cheaper (or the only version), and then wanting the maintenance-free aspect of steel. I don't think most people buy both versions at the same time. Karve hooks you with the quality of the brass first (what a price point!), then you go to steel. Only weird people like me then want to spend more money on their brass and go back to it (while losing that patina with a plating!).

I love my plated brass though:

Top Bottom