What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Agreed, voted as well, hope he does win it.
Talented hardworking guy, and great products.
There were some issues last year, when I guess he was surprised by the success of his razor, and overwhelmed by the number of orders, and therefore there were quite long delays and communication was far from ideal.
But he’s listened to feedback and learned from it. I believe he now has a few people working with him, so he’s reinvested some of the money, and his business has grown and improved rapidly.

PS Strangely, it looks like the rules allow one person to vote once every 24 hours until the deadline, if they wanted to give him several votes....
Yep, I saw that too. Works for me. Only take a few seconds and Karve is worth it. Lol. [emoji16]

Well, Chris created a few SB-G plates (blade gap 1.36mm, positive blade exposure 0.25mm) for people who really wanted more blade exposure, but they are already sold out. He doesn't have any plans to make more of them right now because he's busy with the stainless steel and aluminum models, but you can let him put your name on the waiting list (no commitment required). The more requests he gets, the sooner he'll make another batch.

proxy.php

There were five sold last night in a flash via Instagram post. Chris said he has no plans to make more because he is very busy getting the aluminum and stainless steel razors ready. However, if you send him an email and he gets enough requests he might make more in June. Said the plate is very aggressive. Here are the stats.

Blade gap 1.36 (G plate 1.23)
Positive blade exposure .25 (G plate .22)
Karve Shaving G Plate.png

I have an E plate and really like it. I also have a B open comb that I kind of wish was a C or D. Looking forward to seeing his new stuff.

There's another thread going that's attempting to compare the Karve to the R41, but the highest aggression plate they've attempted to compare is a solid bar E. Thus far, the concensus is the E isn't quite as efficient. Anyone able to give me a comparison of the R41 to one of the F plates or this new G plate?

I'm having trouble deciding on which plates to get once the stainless steel version arrives. About 95% of the time I use my Mühle R41 (model 2013) and lately I've been shaving every 5-7 days. I've done "every 3 days" in the past (and a handful of times I've tried "every 2 days"). The other 5% of the time I either use my DOVO shavette or the Mühle R89. For anything past 2-3 days growth the R89 lacks efficiency. I don't consider the R41 to be uncomfortable, I'd rather call it a more raw shaving experience. Yet, I'm wondering if I'd prefer less blade feel if I didn't have to give up any efficiency.

Before the OC plates arrived, I wanted to get the SB-C and SB-F plates. But now I also want an OC plate and since the stainless steel version will be more expensive, I don't think getting 2 OC plates will be an option for me. So now I'm wondering on which OC plate to get. Maybe an OC-D? Or should I immediately go for an OC-F? Or maybe an OC-C will be enough? I don't know anymore.

The 3 plates I'm thinking of most lately are SB-C, SB-F and OC-D. What I like about the SB plates is that they seem much easier to clean and dry (I clean and dry my safety razors so thoroughly they look like brand new after every shave).

Any guys here who own a Karve and used a Mühle R41 (model 2013) in the past? If so, which SB and OC plates give you identical (or at least very similar) efficiency?

The F plate is smooth and efficient but lacks the blade feel of the 41. CG 3, Ikon Tech and R41 are daily drivers for me. I pif'd my F as I prefer blade feel. The G plate might be closer to the 41 for blade feel.

Hope this helps . . . List of razors I use and the plate options, followed by the Karve plates I have.

Charcoal Goods Lvl II. For me, this razor equates to a Karve "D/E" plate SB.
Rockwell 6S (R5). For me, this is like shaving with the Karve "C" plate SB, or the "B" plate OC.

When I first got my Karve, I bought the C through F plates (I have since sold off the "F"). Everyone seemed to dislike the "D" plate for some reason, sticking with the C or moving on to the E plate. I find success with all three (C, D, and E) depending on how long since my previous shave. Generally speaking, I am an every other day shaver (scalp and face).

When the OC plates were released, I had already settled on my three and, based on Chris's recommend, went a step down and took the B, C, and D plates in OC. No regrets at all. I use the OC "B" plate most often, stepping up to the C when I skip a day. For longer than three days, I will grab the "D" plate in OC and have at it. All of them work fine for what I ask of them.

When the S/S comes out, I will be taking the OC "B"&"C" plates, as well as the SB "C"&"D" plates.

There's another thread going that's attempting to compare the Karve to the R41, but the highest aggression plate they've attempted to compare is a solid bar E. Thus far, the concensus is the E isn't quite as efficient. Anyone able to give me a comparison of the R41 to one of the F plates or this new G plate?

I’ve found that with a bit more buffing, my F plate OC performs as well as my R41 2011 efficiency-wise, and is much smoother.

I’ve found that with a bit more buffing, my F plate OC performs as well as my R41 2011 efficiency-wise, and is much smoother.

Can you clarify how your "buffing improves performance" as in what product you use, how long you buff, is it with hand or power tool as I can't wrap my head around it ?

Top Bottom