What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Great razor for the money. Great craftsmanship, tight tolerances and an excellent alloy built to last. Pick a plate or two in either sb or oc configurations and enjoy smooth & efficient feeling shaves.

FBDAEB67-232A-455D-9C23-F58D774BF4C0.jpeg

I've had a brass Karve Christopher Bradley razor since the summer of 2019. It is my daily razor. When I purchased the razor, I ordered SB plates in B and C. After a bit, I settled on the C plate. My only complaint is that the top plate, now called "the original" leaves the edges of a razor blade exposed. This has caused a few instances in which I have managed to cut holes in a towel while trying to dry my razor. This has made me a bit unhappy - and my wife quite unhappy!

For those of you who have a widebody top plate, is the plate wide enough to cover the edges of my razor blade so that I will be much less likely to cut holes in towels?

Thinking about ordering a widebody top plate leads to a few other questions. First, other than having a new experience, what would be beneficial about trying an open comb plate? If I decide to order an OC base, given that I am very happy with the SB in C, would it make sense for me to order the open comb in a B plate?

Finally, I am curious if anyone has purchased a Karve razor stand? At $50 it is not inexpensive. However, I am curious whether anyone who has purchased a brass stand could comment on their decision to make that purchase.

Thanks for your thoughts.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Just got my widebody top cap and put it on the mixed metal Karve (Brass cap and handle, stainless OC-C plate) I'm using for my comparison of razors in the $75 - $125 range.

The widebody cap definitely covers the blade tabs. I'll shave with the Karve later this week to see if the widebody cap makes any difference in the shave.

For those of you who have a widebody top plate, is the plate wide enough to cover the edges of my razor blade so that I will be much less likely to cut holes in towels?

Yes, it is wide enough. Here are some photos
20201015_101912.jpg

20201015_102057.jpg

20201015_102412.jpg

20201015_102516.jpg

Thinking about ordering a widebody top plate leads to a few other questions. First, other than having a new experience, what would be beneficial about trying an open comb plate? If I decide to order an OC base, given that I am very happy with the SB in C, would it make sense for me to order the open comb in a B plate?

Yes, I think Chris (owner) of Karve recommends dropping down a plate for the OC. I use the B safety bar, and had the open comb A. I think it shaved very similarly to the B SB. I didn't like the comb's teeth, though.

Finally, I am curious if anyone has purchased a Karve razor stand? At $50 it is not inexpensive. However, I am curious whether anyone who has purchased a brass stand could comment on their decision to make that purchase?

I got one and use it all the time. As the pictures show, it has darkened nicely, but I have polished it up since this shot. Turns out I like shiny more than I thought! I bought it on a whim, situation similar to what you describe, and am glad I did. I keep my gear in a metal basket under the sink, and the stand keeps the razor out of that drawer and less likely to get banged around.

I hope this can help!

Thanks for your responses. I found the photos very helpful. Thank you , MaineYooper!

Based on your comment, it seems as though there is no real reason for my to purchase an open comb plate, as I do well with my solid bar C. I am no expert, but I seem to recall reading that an open comb plate was best for digging through several days worth of facial hairs. If this is true, as a daily shaver, there would be no real benefit for me to purchase an open comb blade. . . .

That razor stand, however, is pretty darn tempting.

Open comb razors have always intrigued me, and I have had a few, both vintage and modern. All have moved on. Most had too much teeth feel for my taste. And, like you, I am a daily shaver so I seemed to miss the point. Others seem to like the feel, and say that the shave is super close. I can see that, but I am pretty firmly entrenched in comfy and close, not scary and close!!

Wouldn't it just be easier to remove the blade from the razor before wiping it down and drying it? It takes less than 2 minutes to do so and your wife will thank you!!

With respect to open combs, you are going to get every answer under the sun, and a few you never thought of before.

I much prefer open combs as I find them way smoother. I would not go down to a B. I’d go C all day long and maybe even a D. I shave every daytoo, but I find my Karve with an open comb F as comfortable as a straight.

Try it - you might be surprised!

Wouldn't it just be easier to remove the blade from the razor before wiping it down and drying it? It takes less than 2 minutes to do so and your wife will thank you!!

I thought about that. However, since I shave early in the morning, fiddling with a wet razor blade seems like a bad idea. I just unscrew the head a bit, give the outside of the razor a gentle wipe with a towel, lay the razor on the counter, and continue getting ready for work.

As others have said, the wide body does indeed cover the blade tabs. @Earcutter is right about OC vs SB—you'll get personal opinions but certainly not objective ones. If you want to try a Karve OC go for it. If not, because you are happy, yay you! I personally do not like open comb razors, so my opinion means ... I don't like open comb razor plates. You might love them. Perhaps you want to try a D plate?

With that said, I have an open comb B plate (in stainless steel). Shocker, it does nothing for me that the SB C or B will not do. Classic ymmv in the end.

I do have the brass razor stand. I like it, but it's just a stand. No real patina to show for it after 9 months of use. Unlike a razor, it really does not get wet. It's just going to be time. I really do like the plastic insert in the stand though. Fwiw, I do love my adjustable Fendrihan razor stand that can accommodate both narrow- and large-handled brushes. That's the one I use for the razor I just used (which may explain why my brass Karve stand is slow-walking the patina).

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Wanted to start a thread to hear what some of you who own a Karve think of it. My experience was so positive with my Karve Brass SB that I decided to give their OC a try. And now the OC is my favorite of the two.

Two things really impress me about their product. First...the price point for a razor of this quality is very good, especially the brass version. So good that it was easy for me to get a second one. Second, the ease of use and consistent quality of the shave I get is amazing.

Looking forward to reading your posts.

Wanted to start a thread to hear what some of you who own a Karve think of it. My experience was so positive with my Karve Brass SB that I decided to give their OC a try. And now the OC is my favorite of the two.

Two things really impress me about their product. First...the price point for a razor of this quality is very good, especially the brass version. So good that it was easy for me to get a second one. Second, the ease of use and consistent quality of the shave I get is amazing.

Looking forward to reading your posts.
How much do they go for?

Do you have to buy plates separately or do they come in a set?

Tbh I've seen a lot of mention if the karve razor on wet shaving forums but never used one personally and don't really know anything about them

Wanted to start a thread to hear what some of you who own a Karve think of it.

I have a brass CB with OC-B and SB-E plates (strange combination, I know, but its a long story) and a stainless CB with OC-C and OC-D plates. They are excellent razors. I mostly use the stainless now for my daily shave, usually with OC-C, sometimes with OC-D. What do I think of it? Well the fit and finish is superb for starters. Feels natural in the hand, and the balance is excellent. I have the 3.5 inch handle.
The handle is beautiful to look at, but also provides a secure grip even though it is smooth. Both of the plates give me a great combination of comfort and efficiency, without any irritation.

I've been alternating weekly with my 6S, but lately the Rockwell is starting to take a back seat to the Karve. In my opinion, it's a superb razor.

I have the stainless Karve with SB plates from #C to #G. Has the 3.5" handle.
Used all the plates. Like the #E and #F plates, and the #G is fine too.
I have sort of settled on the #F plate as my daily driver. Mainly use PPI, Feathers, and Kai blades.
The #C, and #D plates are a tad too mild for me, but I can see others might enjoy them.
I had a Wolfman WR2 with the 1.15 DC baseplate (OC/SB). The Karve with #E plate outperformed it.
Sold the WR2, kept the Karve. That says it all really!
Have a stainless, polished Timeless with .68 OC. It's a better razor (a .95 OC plate incoming soon too).
By better, I mean the finish is great (polished), and when I had a .95 OC previously it shaved closer than the Karve #F plate.
If the Karve was polished it would be the icing on the cake for me...I like shiny!
I can polish it myself as have all the polishing wheels and also a Dremel if needed. I'm just lazy...will do it one day though.
The brass Karve never interested me as I'm not into 'patina' but they do like nice when kept polished.
Agree about the consistent shaves. One of my other razors is the Piccolo OC. Shaves nice and smooth, but the Karve beats that too.
I never bought any Karve OC plates as the Timeless (and Piccolo) supply any toothy goodness I require.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Karve Brass is in my regular rotation. It is one of my favorite razors.

Karve Brass stuff in the Den:

2 - Short Handles
1 - Long Handle
3 - Regular Top Caps
1 - Widebody Top Cap
1 - SB-B
1 - OC-B
2 - SB-C
1 - OC-C (Stainless)
1 - SB-D
1 - SB-E
1 - SB-F
1 - OC-F

Beautiful razor, beautiful balance, ergonomic, great results, great value. :thumbup:

I received my used Karve Brass SB with plate D & F back in late Nov 2020 from a member in another forum in the US at a good offer after a long journey. My initial impression was a beautiful, solid, nicely hefty but well-balanced razor. I shave with the D-plate and wow...it was very smooth with some blade feel. I mostly shave with the D-plate now as the F-plate is a bit too much blade feel for now.
I find the blade choice is very important with this Karve razor (as with my GC.84-SB) for a smooth and comfortable shave.
So far I really enjoy the razor but it has yet to give me the best result (still searching for the best blade pairing). I am very interested in an Open Comb perhaps the C-plate but it is just a bit expensive shipping to my place...
I am waiting ever hopefully in BST...

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I received my used Karve Brass SB with plate D & F back in late Nov 2020 from a member in another forum in the US at a good offer after a long journey. My initial impression was a beautiful, solid, nicely hefty but well-balanced razor. I shave with the D-plate and wow...it was very smooth with some blade feel. I mostly shave with the D-plate now as the F-plate is a bit too much blade feel for now.
I find the blade choice is very important with this Karve razor (as with my GC.84-SB) for a smooth and comfortable shave.
So far I really enjoy the razor but it has yet to give me the best result (still searching for the best blade pairing). I am very interested in an Open Comb perhaps the C-plate but it is just a bit expensive shipping to my place...
I am waiting ever hopefully in BST...

I started with an SB Karve and bought an OC one soon after. I now much prefer the OC although I can still get a great shave with the SB Karve. For both, I have Plate B.

Top Bottom