What's new
  • Welcome back Guest!
    If you have been away from our site you may have to request a new password. Simply click on the link for "lost" password in the log in page.
    Thank you.
    The BST is now open, please note the changes in our guidelines to address the recent fraudulent activity. Ensure you read the guidelines prior to creating a sale thread in the Buy-Sell-Trade forum with special attention to the new photo and payment requirements.
    Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Karve razors

JCarr

Contributor
Wanted to start a thread to hear what some of you who own a Karve think of it. My experience was so positive with my Karve Brass SB that I decided to give their OC a try. And now the OC is my favorite of the two.

Two things really impress me about their product. First...the price point for a razor of this quality is very good, especially the brass version. So good that it was easy for me to get a second one. Second, the ease of use and consistent quality of the shave I get is amazing.

Looking forward to reading your posts.

Wanted to start a thread to hear what some of you who own a Karve think of it. My experience was so positive with my Karve Brass SB that I decided to give their OC a try. And now the OC is my favorite of the two.

Two things really impress me about their product. First...the price point for a razor of this quality is very good, especially the brass version. So good that it was easy for me to get a second one. Second, the ease of use and consistent quality of the shave I get is amazing.

How much do they go for?

Do you have to buy plates separately or do they come in a set?

Tbh I've seen a lot of mention if the karve razor on wet shaving forums but never used one personally and don't really know anything about them

Wanted to start a thread to hear what some of you who own a Karve think of it.
I have a brass CB with OC-B and SB-E plates (strange combination, I know, but its a long story) and a stainless CB with OC-C and OC-D plates. They are excellent razors. I mostly use the stainless now for my daily shave, usually with OC-C, sometimes with OC-D. What do I think of it? Well the fit and finish is superb for starters. Feels natural in the hand, and the balance is excellent. I have the 3.5 inch handle.
The handle is beautiful to look at, but also provides a secure grip even though it is smooth. Both of the plates give me a great combination of comfort and efficiency, without any irritation.

I've been alternating weekly with my 6S, but lately the Rockwell is starting to take a back seat to the Karve. In my opinion, it's a superb razor.

I have the stainless Karve with SB plates from #C to #G. Has the 3.5" handle.
Used all the plates. Like the #E and #F plates, and the #G is fine too.
I have sort of settled on the #F plate as my daily driver. Mainly use PPI, Feathers, and Kai blades.
The #C, and #D plates are a tad too mild for me, but I can see others might enjoy them.
I had a Wolfman WR2 with the 1.15 DC baseplate (OC/SB). The Karve with #E plate outperformed it.
Sold the WR2, kept the Karve. That says it all really!
Have a stainless, polished Timeless with .68 OC. It's a better razor (a .95 OC plate incoming soon too).
By better, I mean the finish is great (polished), and when I had a .95 OC previously it shaved closer than the Karve #F plate.
If the Karve was polished it would be the icing on the cake for me...I like shiny!
I can polish it myself as have all the polishing wheels and also a Dremel if needed. I'm just lazy...will do it one day though.
The brass Karve never interested me as I'm not into 'patina' but they do like nice when kept polished.
Agree about the consistent shaves. One of my other razors is the Piccolo OC. Shaves nice and smooth, but the Karve beats that too.
I never bought any Karve OC plates as the Timeless (and Piccolo) supply any toothy goodness I require.

never-stop-learning

Contributor
Ambassador
The Karve Brass is in my regular rotation. It is one of my favorite razors.

Karve Brass stuff in the Den:

2 - Short Handles
1 - Long Handle
3 - Regular Top Caps
1 - Widebody Top Cap
1 - SB-B
1 - OC-B
2 - SB-C
1 - OC-C (Stainless)
1 - SB-D
1 - SB-E
1 - SB-F
1 - OC-F

Beautiful razor, beautiful balance, ergonomic, great results, great value. :thumbup:

I received my used Karve Brass SB with plate D & F back in late Nov 2020 from a member in another forum in the US at a good offer after a long journey. My initial impression was a beautiful, solid, nicely hefty but well-balanced razor. I shave with the D-plate and wow...it was very smooth with some blade feel. I mostly shave with the D-plate now as the F-plate is a bit too much blade feel for now.
I find the blade choice is very important with this Karve razor (as with my GC.84-SB) for a smooth and comfortable shave.
So far I really enjoy the razor but it has yet to give me the best result (still searching for the best blade pairing). I am very interested in an Open Comb perhaps the C-plate but it is just a bit expensive shipping to my place...
I am waiting ever hopefully in BST...

JCarr

Contributor
I received my used Karve Brass SB with plate D & F back in late Nov 2020 from a member in another forum in the US at a good offer after a long journey. My initial impression was a beautiful, solid, nicely hefty but well-balanced razor. I shave with the D-plate and wow...it was very smooth with some blade feel. I mostly shave with the D-plate now as the F-plate is a bit too much blade feel for now.
I find the blade choice is very important with this Karve razor (as with my GC.84-SB) for a smooth and comfortable shave.
So far I really enjoy the razor but it has yet to give me the best result (still searching for the best blade pairing). I am very interested in an Open Comb perhaps the C-plate but it is just a bit expensive shipping to my place...
I am waiting ever hopefully in BST...
I started with an SB Karve and bought an OC one soon after. I now much prefer the OC although I can still get a great shave with the SB Karve. For both, I have Plate B.

I started with an SB Karve and bought an OC one soon after. I now much prefer the OC although I can still get a great shave with the SB Karve. For both, I have Plate B.
Ohh yes, well done Sir! I have been following your post with Karve from the SB to the OC. Thanks for your post 😆 ...I got mine...and now because of you too I am interested in the OC 😀...although I prefer a higher blade gap...not so high though😆

I have a Karve CB in stainless with B plate. I had the brass version with C and D plate and hated the brass because of the staining and required cleaning. But the shave was always excellent. The current SS B plate is in rotation with my Wolfman WR2 and Tatara Masamune. And I am having a Wolfman WR1 (.48mm SB) delivered next week to join the current 3 razors.

I have a Karve CB in stainless with B plate. I had the brass version with C and D plate and hated the brass because of the staining and required cleaning. But the shave was always excellent. The current SS B plate is in rotation with my Wolfman WR2 and Tatara Masamune. And I am having a Wolfman WR1 (.48mm SB) delivered next week to join the current 3 razors.
Would love to hear your thoughts on the WR1 0.48 I find the 0.61 a little too much for me. Thinking of getting a 0.48 or 0.54 (if I can).

Also interested in the Karve now haha. Was also wondering how it compares to 6s because lot of people praises for the 6s too. But just red up There someone having both and prefers the Karve...

The Karve is a fantastic razor. I have a stainless steel in B, C, and D and a brass (plated in rhodium) in B and C. So well made and such a smooth shaver. I strongly prefer it over the Rockwell 6s (which I also love and has become my travel razor). The B plate to me feels like the R3 on the face but is more efficient, more like an R4. The C plate is feels like an R4 while shaving but performs like an R5. To me. My favorite blades in the Karve are GSB, Gillette 7 o clock Yellow, Wizamets, and the Dorco Prime Platinum. Now, my preferred razor these days is my Wolfman WR2. But the Karve is still in the rotation.

For any who want to read all about the Karve and get many, many, many opinions, check out the Clubs and Brotherhoods forum:

emwolf

Contributor
I have brass long handle with wide and regular cap. I have an OC in C and the following SB: AA, B, C, D. D is plenty aggressive for me. I actually prefer the lower letters. I like the brass feel compared to other metals, it's very warm. I guess all those years of playing trombone in high school gave me a soft spot for brass. It takes a while to order new, but it's worth the wait.

Couldn't resist the SB with the C & D

Been eying the karve sb for a while now probably with the D base I only need to figure out which handle length to choose 3 or 3.5 inch

Top Bottom