What's new

Karve Overlander

I have this sinking suspicion that Chris is never going to sell just the head, or allow you to pick your handle. I heard he was having a hard time with the complexity created by the CB and then he explicitly stated that the Overlander was designed specifically for this base plate and handle.

5_30 sotd.jpg

The Comparison Shave

Since I have today off from work, and I had the time, and the bathroom door has a lock and "Danger: In Use" sign, I decided to challenge my morning motor skills and use the two Overlanders, nickel-plated brass and black aluminum, on EVERY pass, switching the blade between them as I did one side then with one, then the other. To illustrate, brass right, aluminum left then next pass right, brass left, then next pass right, etc. See, that is why the door was shut! No interruptions that could result in the loss of a finger, and no side-eye looks questioning my sanity!!

The shave was a wonderful experience! I noted only two differences: the obvious difference in mass: brass is 110 grams and aluminum is 37 grams; and the slight "drag" that the aluminum has. The brass had a drag, which memory says was more noticeable, but after the nickel plating the drag is gone.

Technique shifted easily, which came as a minor surprise to me, and I had no difficulty going from light to heavy and back again.

One of the reasons I wanted to try this version is the advanced arthritis in my hands. According to imaging, I have next to no cartilage on the bones in my hand, especially the thumb joints. When it is "acting up," holding heavier objects can be a challenge. I noted this several weeks ago with the brass Overlander, most notably when shaving the left side of my face (I am right-handed and haven't learned to use my left hand for shaving). So the aluminum interested me, especially after @OhioBob and I corresponded regarding his experience with both.

Bottom line: I am very pleased! I now have, I think, the only modern DE razors that interest me and more importantly work for me: The Overlander, the Christopher Bradley, and the Yates 921-M. (I know, I most likely jinxed myself now and The Next Great Thing will appear on my Buy Now list!!!)

View attachment 1464273

The Comparison Shave

Since I have today off from work, and I had the time, and the bathroom door has a lock and "Danger: In Use" sign, I decided to challenge my morning motor skills and use the two Overlanders, nickel-plated brass and black aluminum, on EVERY pass, switching the blade between them as I did one side then with one, then the other. To illustrate, brass right, aluminum left then next pass right, brass left, then next pass right, etc. See, that is why the door was shut! No interruptions that could result in the loss of a finger, and no side-eye looks questioning my sanity!!

The shave was a wonderful experience! I noted only two differences: the obvious difference in mass: brass is 110 grams and aluminum is 37 grams; and the slight "drag" that the aluminum has. The brass had a drag, which memory says was more noticeable, but after the nickel plating the drag is gone.

Technique shifted easily, which came as a minor surprise to me, and I had no difficulty going from light to heavy and back again.

One of the reasons I wanted to try this version is the advanced arthritis in my hands. According to imaging, I have next to no cartilage on the bones in my hand, especially the thumb joints. When it is "acting up," holding heavier objects can be a challenge. I noted this several weeks ago with the brass Overlander, most notably when shaving the left side of my face (I am right-handed and haven't learned to use my left hand for shaving). So the aluminum interested me, especially after @OhioBob and I corresponded regarding his experience with both.

Bottom line: I am very pleased! I now have, I think, the only modern DE razors that interest me and more importantly work for me: The Overlander, the Christopher Bradley, and the Yates 921-M. (I know, I most likely jinxed myself now and The Next Great Thing will appear on my Buy Now list!!!)
Beyond the drag and weight, would you say they shave exactly the same?

Reactions: Kix
Beyond the drag and weight, would you say they shave exactly the same?
Yes, I would, for my experience this morning. Both give, for me, very audible feedback. To be clear, I did NOT use only the one on one side, but continually switched, and that means that I can't say each have the exact same shave result, but the experience with both was the same for me. Thanks for asking! I should have stated that somewhere in the post!

Yes, I would, for my experience this morning. Both give, for me, very audible feedback. To be clear, I did NOT use only the one on one side, but continually switched, and that means that I can't say each have the exact same shave result, but the experience with both was the same for me. Thanks for asking! I should have stated that somewhere in the post!
Thanks!

A quick followup: did you try the brass version before you plated it?
If so, would you say there is any difference in drag between the brass (unplated) and AL versions?

Thanks!

A quick followup: did you try the brass version before you plated it?
If so, would you say there is any difference in drag between the brass (unplated) and AL versions?
I had the brass version for about 2 months before getting it plated. My notes and memory say the drag was more pronounced with the brass, possibly due to the weight of the brass? I do know I like the brass immediately, even with the drag, and I thought it lived up to the hype of shaving as efficiently as higher level CB plates while feeling like the B plate (which is my preferred CB plate). The drag was not a deal breaker, and I was fine with it until it was pointed out to me that plating at Back Roads Gold was only $60, compared the over $100 to have the brass CB polished. So I plated it!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Finally got around to using my brass Overlander. Do not know why I thought it was a steep-angle razors. Maybe just steeper than a Christopher Bradley Karve? Very well built and smooth.

Looking forward to using it again when my whiskers return.

Update: Didn’t realize all the razor burn. < Squidward noise intensifies >

Last edited:
Finally got around to using my brass Overlander. Do not know why I thought it was a steep-angle razors. Maybe just steeper than a Christopher Bradley Karve? Very well built and smooth.

Some have commented that they shave steep with the Overlander. Not sure what they are referring to.

I don't think the Overlander fits that description, nor does it have the gap and/or exposure for it, IMO.

Update: Didn’t realize all the razor burn. < Squidward noise intensifies >
When you say "steep", do you mean increasing the angle of the handle away from the face?

Picture the blade inside the razor in relation to your face. If it’s almost parallel with your skin, that’s shallow. If most of the blade is far away from your skin and only the cutting edge is touching your face, that’s steep.
Thank you. Very helpful.

I don’t think anybody has mentioned it here but (great news) Karve has just released a batch of 10 copper Overlanders (Cu145) and Chris said that he is finalising the stainless steel Overlander production process and it should be done in a few weeks.

I did manage to snag one of the copper ones before they sold out. On his site it says if you weren’t able to get one then you can let him know you’d like one and he will add you to a list for the next batch.

Also interesting to learn (see Chris’ Facebook post, below) that the Overlander handle is three pieces - handle, pommel and tip. I guess that means it is hollow.

3685B870-AEF6-4886-968E-18633603DCEE.jpeg

I don’t think anybody has mentioned it here but (great news) Karve has just released a batch of 10 copper Overlanders (Cu145) and Chris said that he is finalising the stainless steel Overlander production process and it should be done in a few weeks.

I did manage to snag one of the copper ones before they sold out. On his site it says if you weren’t able to get one then you can let him know you’d like one and he will add you to a list for the next batch.

Also interesting to learn (see Chris’ Facebook post, below) that the Overlander handle is three pieces - handle, pommel and tip. I guess that means it is hollow.

View attachment 1507259
Nice!! I had mine plated in copper.

View attachment 1507259
Waiting on this one to come out since I missed this initial batch, just hope the guy doesn't take a year to make more

He said more copper Overlanders are already in production, and that copper will be an ongoing option. So I guess you can expect him to restock as regularly as his other razors.
It's a shame more razor makers don't offer copper, my favorite metal to buy them in...patina that forms on them is far better looking than brass imho

Top Bottom