What's new

Karve Overlander

All this talk makes me want to shave🥳.
9EF9333F-E10A-4BEE-9D84-0633D1EE7F55.jpeg

Sorry you had to buy one to find out, I have been holding out for the stainless. Until your post.
Yeah, I feel kind of cheated tbh.
I was also planning on getting the SS, but obviously that's not going to happen now :)

I don't want to go off on this thread, but they do have a bit of a deserved bad reputation for something else entirely and it's not to do with the razors.
Huh??
I have no idea what you are referring to - as I said in an earlier post I don't know anything about Karve except for their CB razors, and that's only because everyone compares efficiency to the different CB plates.

If you can't expand here I would be grateful if you could PM me.

I'm confused by this entire theory. The ability for a blade to cut a piece of paper does not have direct bearing on how it will cut hair for two reasons 1) a face is mushy and 2) blade feel doesn't always equal efficiency (this is talked about a lot on this forum and I have also directly experienced it). If there is a razor with major blade exposure but the geometry of the razor is such that I can only have the blade approach my skin/beard at 90 degrees to it, all I will get is scrapping with little cutting.

I've shaved on a hard surface (my skull) with both the more aggressive mamba and the overlander and the overlander is way more efficient.

Huh??
I have no idea what you are referring to - as I said in an earlier post I don't know anything about Karve
He's referring to the Polished SS Karve fiasco that he lied his way through as well as the Titanium Karve production that is 3yrs past due as of this month!! I think there have been less than 10 polished SS razors that made it to the end users and only 1 titanium razor that's been produced to date....

He's referring to the Polished SS Karve fiasco that he lied his way through as well as the Titanium Karve production that is 3yrs past due as of this month!! I think there have been less than 10 polished SS razors that made it to the end users and only 1 titanium razor that's been produced to date....
Has he been collecting prepayments?

Has he been collecting prepayments?
It’s posted about ad nauseum on the Karve Diem thread in the Clubs and Brotherhoods page. All you need to read is there.

Getting back on track, I am considering adding the aluminum version, as advanced arthritis in my thumb joints sometimes makes the brass seem too heavy. Anyone have both and care to chime in on comparisons?

It’s posted about ad nauseum on the Karve Diem thread in the Clubs and Brotherhoods page. All you need to read is there.

Getting back on track, I am considering adding the aluminum version, as advanced arthritis in my thumb joints sometimes makes the brass seem too heavy. Anyone have both and care to chime in on comparisons?
sorry don't have aluminum but I use the Overlander head with a titanium handle and really like it. Not sure if that helps.

I tried "catchacoolbreeze" set up today, brass head with a Timeless Ti Crown handle. Is a nice pairing, but still not as light weight as the Aluminum. Received an excellent shave in 3 passes, but did have a weeper at corner of my mouth, my fault, otherwise a BBS shave. Did have a head scratcher though, Timeless handle fits Overlander, but Overlander handle does not fit a Timeless head.

I tried "catchacoolbreeze" set up today, brass head with a Timeless Ti Crown handle. Is a nice pairing, but still not as light weight as the Aluminum. Received an excellent shave in 3 passes, but did have a weeper at corner of my mouth, my fault, otherwise a BBS shave. Did have a head scratcher though, Timeless handle fits Overlander, but Overlander handle does not fit a Timeless head.
The Karve is #10-32
Is the Timeless M5x0.8 threads?

A handle with M5x0.8 will fit
a cap with #10-32 threads but
probably will be difficult to fully tighten. The fit will be slightly loose.

A #10-32 handle will not fit a cap with M5x0.8 threads.

I have a Tbam titanium handle that will fit my Karve CB stainless but it screws on a bit loose until it tightens up against the plastic washer. The Tbam is M5x0.8 as are my Windrose Ti handles.

Last edited:
The Karve is #10-32
Is the Timeless M5x0.8 threads?

A handle with M5x0.8 will fit
a cap with #10-32 threads but
probably will be difficult to fully tighten. The fit will be slightly loose.

A #10-32 handle will not fit a cap with M5x0.8 threads.

I have a Tbam titanium handle that will fit my Karve CB stainless but it screws on a bit loose until it tightens up against the plastic washer. The Tbam is M5x0.8 as are my Windrose Ti handles.
I have to tell you I thought every manufacturer these days used the same thread pitch besides Fatip. What a weird and limiting decision on Karve's part. That being said, I would have never figured it out on my own putting my titanium handle on the karve head (albeit I use a washer).

I just tried to put my Karve handle on a merkur head and a Razorock head and I couldn't even get a full turn. Those posts seem "thicker." You would think a thicker post would be the more robust solution. Oh well.

I have to tell you I thought every manufacturer these days used the same thread pitch besides Fatip. What a weird and limiting decision on Karve's part. That being said, I would have never figured it out on my own putting my titanium handle on the karve head (albeit I use a washer).

I just tried to put my Karve handle on a merkur head and a Razorock head and I couldn't even get a full turn. Those posts seem "thicker." You would think a thicker post would be the more robust solution. Oh well.

Karve and Yates are the only two modern manufacturers that I know using the #10-32, although Yates was using #10-24 when they first started. I'm not quite sure when the switch came about. Vintage gillettes (and many other vintage) use an obsolete 3/16" NF 32 which is almost identical to #10-32. And yes Fatip... odd man out, haha. I think their's is M4.5xsomething.

Meanwhile, I received my Overlander back from Chris today so I'll repost from the "What did you use today?" thread.

Razor: Karve Overlander/Gladius
Blade: 7 O'clock SharpEdge (3)
Soap: Stirling Sheep
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar
AS: Seaforth Sea Spice Lime

Only my third shave with this razor. Smooth, minimal blade feel, good audible feedback, steepish angle which is my preference. A nice autopilot razor for a daily shave. Reminds me of my Gamechanger 84 in that respect. Overall, just a great shave.

My call: 9.5 and Chester Approved 😼

20220523_174448.jpg

I went ATG in my neck last night (never have done that successfully) and it was awesome.

However, all this talk about efficiency has me thinking. I currently do 3 passes (wtg/atg/atg cleanup). I may use my Wolfman for wtg and see if I can get one pass ATG with the overlander and see how it goes. Kinda curious.

How does the efficiency of the Overlander compare to a Masamune?
I'd say it's similar.....may be closer to Masamune with Nodachi cap. I would need to do an official comparison to know for sure. I'll try to do that next week. I typically use full Nodachi plates and that is just a tad more efficient than the Overlander.

I'll be buying an aluminum Karve sooner than later. Problem I see with the Overlander (for me) is the lack of blade feel that everyone states. I think I'd be better off with an aluminum Christopher Bradley where I could select a plate that will give me that blade feel that I like. But I still don't know. We'll see when I finally buy one.

Top Bottom