What's new

Karve or Start

Can somebody compare between this two razors. Similar concept.
I have a Karve and thinking about the Start but wondering if it will be more of the same.

There is a pass around if the start on another forum. It seems to be a fairly mild razor without much blade feel depending on the base plate. I think my spot is coming up soon. I can provide more information after I try it.

For me brass Karve SB-B and START .69 are very similar but I enjoy both. Only Timeless Ti68 and Rex Ambassador are ahead of them

I had the start complete set and moved it on - preferring my Karve SB with C plate ... the Start was good but IMO not as good as the Karve ... the 0.69 was pretty much useless IMO

I just got my START razor in the mail from Russia yesterday (took 2 months because I opted for the cheaper overland postage). Unless you are very patient, the extra $ for express shipping is probably worth it. I opted to order only the 0.90 mm open comb head - I am not a big fan of straight bar heads (although I have many I mostly use OC's). I also ordered some of the shave soaps and A/S that Homelike Shaving sells on its website. I used a fresh Nacet and got a nice close shave - kind or reminds me of the RR O/C Gamechanger. The knurling on the handle is not super deep, but I do not mind - I normally balance the shaver in my hand. The bottom of the handle is super smooth and feels good when balancing on my pinky. All in all, after only the maiden voyage, I think will enjoy using this one. Sorry - I have never used a Karve razor, so I cannot compare the two.

I have Karve OC C and D and CC D. And the whole Start kit. I have used the Karve more, specially w OC C; I consider it one of my best razors. Start is OK'ish, but not as smooth or efficient as the above mentioned Karve. If you really need a SS razor and can't find a Karve; Razor Rock has the Gamechanger and Jaws; both in my opinion more efficient and smoother than the Start. And if CC is your main gig; then the RR Lupo beats the Start.

So would I buy the Start again- NO! It's an OK razor but does not perform any better than the others I mentioned all of which are cheaper.....well maybe

Top Bottom