What's new

Karve Open Comb?

I'm going outta my mind here. I just bought 2 karves in B and an extra C plate!!!

Now there's open comb designs, alu, SS in the work's... What's next Titanium open comb, slant 15 mm thick handles with an invisible super grip WHAT WHAT WHAT???

He has a grasp of blade rigidity and designing to reduce what he calls 'cyclic loading'. He and I are on the same page. As far as I know, hes the first designer/maker to publicly voice that concept and he's embracing it.

What is 'cyclic loading?'

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Is it just me, or does one of the holes shown on the underside of the baseplate look like it's touching that groove, whereas the other hole does not?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Long story short, blade flex. This is what @rabidus and I have been saying all along and was my reason for joining this forum. I needed to see pictures to better understand and I couldnt see many as a lurker.

From the Chris Kirchen AMA;

I just found this and assume its what you were referring too;

"The geometry came from a bunch of research to familiarize myself with how razors are configured and then creating analogies between how a blade is configured and real world applications. The one I'm most proud of (because I saw an immediate improvement), was to support the blade as much as possible as a way of eliminating chatter). All razors support the blade on the top side with the top cap, but chatter comes from cyclical loading...force, no force, force, no force, etc. The unloading comes from loading the blade during cutting, but then something gives (such as the whisker that is being cut) and the blade unloads for a split second. The top cap can only help with the loading, so the baseplate has to work together with it."

He and I are on the same page.

If a blade is fully supported by the baseplate it cannot flex. If a blade isnt supported fully, it can.

The EJ and R41 baseplates for example share the very same basic design in relation to blade support.

EJ left. R41 right with their support points marked in red.

de89 support points.jpg R41 support points.jpg

Because of that lack of support, when the blade meets enough resistance, it can flex as in the "Squiggly Green Line" in the picture below.

dHfO7igl1.jpg

If the baseplate supported the blade as much as the cap, equal distances, the possibility of that blade flex is removed. The result is a smoother shave, especially when shaving ATG.

Chris said he found an "immediate improvement" by changing to a more rigid design. This is why.

Theres a lot to read about rigidity and its effects around the forum. Once I discovered it I never looked back and instead moved to progressively more rigid DE designs and now to SE's. DE blades are ~.004 thick. SE blades are .009" thick. The difference in rigidity between the two is apparent.

Theres a lot to read about rigidity and its effects around the forum. Once I discovered it I never looked back and instead moved to progressively more rigid DE designs and now to SE's. DE blades are ~.004 thick. SE blades are .009" thick. The difference in rigidity between the two is apparent.

You sound like the perfect candidate to try straight razors.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You sound like the perfect candidate to try straight razors.

I have, once.

Well..

Boker Straight.

Midnight & Two The Coast

Maggard synthetic.

50 hours since last shave.

I loaded my brush and face lathered. This soap is going to take some dialing in so I wont go into it too deeply yet.

Three swipes over my right cheek WTG with the Boker and all was well. No blood, very slight tugging. Repeat left side and no issues. My confidence was rising lol. As soon as I got to my jawline and trying to shave under it XTG the razor stopped. Line up again and shave with a bit more confidence and tugging. A, lot, of, tugging.

I played with angles and the only time it wouldnt tug was with the blade nearly 90° to my skin. It shaved though, smoothly and loudly if not closely.

I did all of the first pass with it except around my chin and upper lip, mostly steep to limit the tugging and had a mediocre first pass. Just by chance, my Single Ring happened to have a fresh Yellow loaded in it so thats what I finished with.

Damn nice shave too I might add.

This Boker may treetop my arm hair but my whiskers and arm hair are apparently very different lol.

I'm sure I could get them to work much better but I'm too lazy to learn and its too deep a rabbit hole for me lol.

I'm going outta my mind here. I just bought 2 karves in B and an extra C plate!!!

Now there's open comb designs, alu, SS in the work's... What's next Titanium open comb, slant 15 mm thick handles with an invisible super grip WHAT WHAT WHAT???

Stop giving him more ideas!!!

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
A situation when blade is not firmly cinched between top and Base plate resulting in blade chatter.

I just saw Esox explained that in great lengths once again if anyone care to listen.
@Esox had it right. This is coming from someone who actually had a Muhle R41 doing skip and hop even with GSB in it on two days growth.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A situation when blade is not firmly cinched between top and Base plate resulting in blade chatter.

I just saw Esox explained that in great lengths once again if anyone care to listen.
@Esox had it right. This is coming from someone who actually had a Muhle R41 doing skip and hop even with GSB in it on two days growth.

preach-brotha-preach.jpg

A stainless steel or Aluminum open comb set from Karve might make me fail the sabbatical next year.

A stainless open comb razor, especially with the choice of baseplate like with the current close-comb versions would be a best-seller for sure. Rigid blade-holding design, modern, SS, ability to change up aggressiveness based on stubble growth...I can't be the only one who would respond to such a product launch with "shut up and just take my money":001_tongu

The karve is my only razor. It’s the end-all/be-all for me, perfect. There’s no reason for me to want this one but I sure do...

I enjoy my Karve/F very much, but the open comb is more my style. I hope it doesn’t become available during 2019, or my sabbatical is shot to hell...

Sing me up for the titanium oc! Lol

Top Bottom