What's new

Karve OC (E or F) or Timeless 0.78 OC

To sum up a little...

Between Karve OC E plate and Timeless Bronze .78 I would take the Bronze because it's a slightly better feeling shave. More refined, not so neutral and solid. Same level of efficiency with the same weight handle.

The Bronze is not more aggressive than the R41 with the same weight handle, e.g. a titanium handle 53g. It is harder to shave with using the stock handle unless you are good at shaving with heavy razors.

With very efficient razors you will usually get blade feel. Rather than worrying about this, it's possible to use it to your advantage in developing technique, together with the audio feedback.

have to agree that there is a learning curve with heavier razors. Took me a couple of weeks to learn to take the weight of the razor in my hand to use less pressure on my face.. i guess the more aggressive 0.78 will require a bit more learning if anything.

the timeless bronze also looks amazing.. i reckon this will be one

If your level of efficiency is Rockwell on 6 and Timeless 0.95 SB, and if the Karve D SB isn't quite efficient enough, then I don't see any of the "classics" being efficient enough. You're at or beyond Gillette Old Type or Fatip OC. I have plenty of classics on the shelf, and these days they stay on the shelf. I don't even use my MMOC. MMCP or 1912 much either, and they're beyond Old Type/Fatip/Rockwell 6.

I keep coming back to the R41 with a better handle - just get the head and try it on your Timeless handle at first. Then go from there. At the very least, the R41 is the quickest way to find out if that level of efficiency is for you. If it is you are then looking at razors like CG Level 3 and the like. But as I said above, I find the R41 just as satisfying as the Bronze and Karve OC E plate. It's a modern classic.

The more i think about this, the more i think the R41 is the way to go. I have read some forum topics on this razor and there is quite a lot of love for it.

Also when it comes to price, its 1/3 the cost of a seconds timeless bronze and 1/2 the cost of a Karve.

Yeah it maybe Zamak but that doesnt bother me either.

Thanks for your input and suggestions, i will try out the R41 as a whole stock unit and also try it with the heavier rockwell handle.

The more i think about this, the more i think the R41 is the way to go. I have read some forum topics on this razor and there is quite a lot of love for it.

Also when it comes to price, its 1/3 the cost of a seconds timeless bronze and 1/2 the cost of a Karve.

Yeah it maybe Zamak but that doesnt bother me either.

Thanks for your input and suggestions, i will try out the R41 as a whole stock unit and also try it with the heavier rockwell handle.

Did you see this? www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/timeless-bronze-78-oc.567966/

thanks for the heads up but this would be in the US, i live in Australia, so by they time you add shipping + converting to the aussie $$ would come to around $160 AUD (at least)

you guys in the US have got it made when it comes to bargains, be it razors or guitars
Well that stinks. Good luck.

Man, you’ve got a nice little collection of razors going on. Any one of the razors you're considering would be a nice addition.

I can’t speak to the Timeless, but I can speak to the 41 and the Karve. I’m a huge fan of the 41. I’ve gotten most of my friends to buy one, and I’ve even got two myself. It’s a great razor. Smooth & close.

I wasn’t much of a fan of my Karve until I got the OC F plate. Now I’m loving it! So much so, I might get another when it comes out in SS. It’s giving me incredible shaves and it looks and feels as killer as the shaves I’m getting with it now.

You can’t go wrong with either of those two. Great razors both.

As an aside, I bought a Parker Variant too. I’m not really sure why, but man am I loving on it. It gets close! Real close! More so than any DE I have, but not quite as close as my Feather Artist Club. If only it was as sexy as the Karve, I’d be set. I’d sell off all my other DEs.

Man, you’ve got a nice little collection of razors going on. Any one of the razors you're considering would be a nice addition.

I can’t speak to the Timeless, but I can speak to the 41 and the Karve. I’m a huge fan of the 41. I’ve gotten most of my friends to buy one, and I’ve even got two myself. It’s a great razor. Smooth & close.

I wasn’t much of a fan of my Karve until I got the OC F plate. Now I’m loving it! So much so, I might get another when it comes out in SS. It’s giving me incredible shaves and it looks and feels as killer as the shaves I’m getting with it now.

You can’t go wrong with either of those two. Great razors both.

As an aside, I bought a Parker Variant too. I’m not really sure why, but man am I loving on it. It gets close! Real close! More so than any DE I have, but not quite as close as my Feather Artist Club. If only it was as sexy as the Karve, I’d be set. I’d sell off all my other DEs.

thanks mate.. i was ready to pull the trigger on the R41 but read a whole bunch of posts of users saying it was quite rough and easily bites, so got me reading more.. The fatip piccolo or grande are also in contention now, have read these are just about as efficient as the R41 but smoother

but then you come along and highly speak of your love for the R41 and how it is smooth

such a YMMV hobby!!

thanks mate.. i was ready to pull the trigger on the R41 but read a whole bunch of posts of users saying it was quite rough and easily bites, so got me reading more.. The fatip piccolo or grande are also in contention now, have read these are just about as efficient as the R41 but smoother

but then you come along and highly speak of your love for the R41 and how it is smooth

such a YMMV hobby!!
R41 is very aggressive razor and it is depending on your skin sensitivity and softness or stiffness of your hair will determine if you will be able to handle it. I, for example, have sensitive skin and short hard facial hair and felt like my face is on fire for over 8 hours when used with Vikings Blade mild blade.
Fatip OC is very angle dependable, slightest change and it aggressiveness will change

.. i was ready to pull the trigger on the R41 but read a whole bunch of posts of users saying it was quite rough and easily bites, so got me reading more.. The fatip piccolo or grande are also in contention now, have read these are just about as efficient as the R41 but smoother... but then you come along and highly speak of your love for the R41 and how it is smooth

The Fatips are no way as efficient as the R41 - they are medium+ efficient and smooth and don't cut quite so close. You will read a lot of different opinions on the R41. For a start, some users use the stock razor while others, myself included, give it the handle it deserves like a nice wide titanium one around 50g. When you get the blade right - like a smooth GSB - the R41 is easy to shave with, very predictable and no irritation. Your technique will grow to suit it. I wouldn't hesitate, but I'd get the head only and play around with handles. Doesn't matter if the base plate is zamak - there's no friction on that and you can replace top caps.

The Fatips are no way as efficient as the R41 - they are medium+ efficient and smooth and don't cut quite so close. You will read a lot of different opinions on the R41....

This is totally YMMV situation. I need to go ATG on my coarsest hair and the R41 tugs like crazy where the Fatip cuts right through smoothly (as does the Timeless). The R41 may be more efficient on my cheeks but to me that's kind of besides the point. To me the R41 is like an old American muscle car which is awesome 0-60 but can't really handle a turn very well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The R41 may be more efficient on my cheeks but to me that's kind of besides the point. To me the R41 is like an old American muscle car which is awesome 0-60 but can't really handle a turn very well.

Nice metaphor! I think my facial hair is relatively undemanding, and R41 has no difficulty with it. But I see your point for different hair types.

Was originally looking at the timeless OC as I am super impressed with the quality and shaves the 0.95 SB gives me.
My suggestion would be to pass on all others and get yourself a DC base plate for your Timeless... I switch between my Ti95SB and SS95DC, (OC/SB), on a pretty regular basis and am going to order a Ti DC base so I have the same option in Titanium.

I usually do a 2 pass shave on my entire face and an ATG pass on my neck only regardless of which razor I use but the days I use the DC with passes 1/2 OC and clean up pass SB they seem just a little closer. This is why I'm wanting to get a DC plate for my Ti95 also... Its very convenient to have the DC option in one razor....

eta... I am an every other day shaver and this is what finally has worked for me and all other razor I had were sold almost immediately upon getting my 1st Timeless... It made everything else obsolete!!

such a YMMV hobby!!
A YMMV thing for real!

I’ll say this, I’ve got three razors I’m messing around with. My 41, my Karve, and the Parker. I’m using each razor for two shaves with the same blade for each to try and get a grip on which razor I like the most. The first blade I tried was the Personna Red’s. I love the Personna Red in my 41. It’s my favorite blade in my 41. I figured I’d love em in my Karve and in my Parker. I like em - don’t love em. Matter a fact, I have a different favorite all together for the Karve. What the heck?

Worse still, buddy hates using them (the reds) in his 41! And then I discover that my 41 with its reputation of being so “aggressive” really isn’t as aggressive as my other two razors!* What!? A YMMV hobby for sure.

Which leads me to this... with a little fooling around with any decent razor (good reputation), you’ll ultimately discover the blade that works for it and get pretty decent shaves! Which means looks, materials, etc. matter. For me, seemingly more than my logic will allow me to admit.

I’m pretty sure my Karve cuts closer and is smoother than my 41. Or does it? Or is it just better looking so I think it does? My Parker I know is probably the better of the three, but it’s no where near as sexy as the 41, so i’ll reach for the 41 more often than not right?

Looks matter and that fatip’s head you’re thinking of getting looks pretty darn cool! But that handle is pretty smooth...

Pick a razor that’s sexy to you I say. It pays dividends. The Karve to me is stupid sexy. Matter a fact, if it wasn’t so good looking, I’d never have ordered the Open comb F plate and discovered I liked the thing because the C and E plates did nothing for me. It would have been up on the BST had it not been so good looking.

It’s just like any relationship. You tolerate more, and get to know it more if you find it attractive enough to want to. YMMV.

* Note the 41 still gives incredibly close and smooth shaves! If it was my only, I’d be absolutely fine!

If you like the shave of the Timeless SB, why not just order the .95 OC baseplate and swap the SB/OC plate out as you like? - Not sure if that's been suggested or not, as I just skimmed over the replies.

The Bronze .78 OC shaves NOTHING like their Stainless and Titanium offerings, nor does it shave like the Bronze .38 SB. There is much more blade feel, and the .78 OC is much less forgiving. I had one and ultimately returned it, giving it as much a chance as possible, having to take a day once or twice to let my face recover. It's rather aggressive feeling, and tends to grab or catch imperfections, such as a scar or two, and I'd imagine moles, bug bites, or any other raised area. I can shave with most razors, using my Gillette Adjustables on 9, and Rockwell with R6, but the .78 just wasn't even close to being smooth for me, always grabbing one of the small scars or other imperfections acquired over time. (I've been shaving for a good 40 years, and wet shaving on and off for much of that time).

I actually bought my 95 OC after returning the Bronze 78 OC, and the 95 OC is so much smoother and easier to use, yet for me gives a better shave. My favorite combo is probably my 95 OC loaded with a nice sharp Nacet blade. Even a Feather is smooth, but doesn't last more than 2-3 shaves in the 95. Hence my suggestion, if you like the 95 SB, try the 95 OC plate.

decision has been made and the R41 ordered today.. if this goes well, i will be getting the 0.78 Bronze OC for xmas

The R41 is a great razor. Think about a titanium handle for it. Titanium handles can be 14-16mm wide which is really nice if you have bigger hands. Plenty made in Russia these days. The Timeless titanium handle is nice and just $55.

The R41 is a great razor. Think about a titanium handle for it. Titanium handles can be 14-16mm wide which is really nice if you have bigger hands. Plenty made in Russia these days. The Timeless titanium handle is nice and just $55.
I have Timeless Ti handle and while it is lighter than the Russian it is short for my big hands

ok so my new R41 just arrived and i cannot wait to give it a run tomorrow.. i have purposefully not shaved since ordering it Monday. Just loaded it with a fresh polsilver for tomorrows anticipated shave.

for shits and giggles i swapped out the stock handle with the Rockwell 6C handle to see how it would feel, and to me, it feels better than the stock handle. I might just like more weight to my razors, not sure

anyway a little confused with which to go with? leave it as intended by Muhle, or give it a try with the rockwell... what do the R41 guys think?

Top Bottom