What's new

Karve Goatlander Brotherhood (KGB)

Wizamets are working okay so far. I'm still trying to decide how much I like the Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinums (black), blue-pack Platinums, and Silver Blue's. Didn't care for the Nacet, which has been the only dud in this razor.
Yes I find the Wizamet good, but I wouldn’t say great. They likely won’t make it into my regular blade rotation.

My 5 favorite/preferred blades so far are:
-Feather
-Perma-Sharp
-Astra SP (Russian)
-Gillette Blacks
-Bic Chrome Platinums.

I really like the blacks. To me they strike that perfect balance of sharpness and smoothness.
But so do the Perma-Sharps, and they can be had for $10.
I bought a 100 pack of the blacks and I’m happy to have them, but I don’t know that I’ll buy more of them at the current price.

April 3, 2024 Wednesday shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, brass
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (2)
Soap: Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre
Brush: Reknotted Paladin
Post shave: Omega alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

This hurried up three pass shave was surprisingly good. No weepers, etc. and no irritation.
The Overlander continues to deliver exceptional shaves with no drama. I'm so glad I bought this razor!

10/10

Enjoy your day!

Overlander_brass1.jpg

I'm going to concentrate on the Gillette Blacks and Wizamets for a while. I know the GSB and Platinums work but want to see what else I can count on long term. I'm glad there are choices in DE blades -- I've only found one AC blade that suits me, and while I like the format, that limitation bothers me.

April 5, 2024 Friday shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, brass
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (3)
Soap: Barrister and Mann Diamond
Brush: Omega S10049
Post shave: Osma alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Fine Snake Bite

This was a three pass shave of two days growth. It was excellent in every way.
The Overlander is such a fine razor. The Wizamet blade worked well with the Overlander. B&M Diamond worked up a terrific lather.
No weepers, etc. and no irritation.

Have a good weekend!

SODT 04_05_24.jpg

Evening head+neck shave with the copper Overlander. First time using a Feather blade, with exceptional results. A BBS head shave for me requires extensive buffing and touching up, so I always expect some irritation when that's what I go for. Not today, not even on my lower neck. Unbelievable!

1000017318.jpg

full
Karve Overlander | Stirling's Synthetic 26mm Shave Brush | Personna Comfort Coated | Stirling West Indies Lime | Stirling West Indies Lime Splash w/menthol

After using the Karve Bison, for more than a few shaves, I had to pick up my aluminum Overlander. Wow, what a fantastic shave. The Overlander is such a wonderful razor.

I've always considered the Nacet a go-to for a sharp blade. You two ( @mkd ) make me wonder if the Nacets are being manufactured different. It's been a couple years since I purchased them.
In fairness to the Nacet, I only used it in my first razor- a cheap Indian 7 o’clock Sterling. Once I acquired more (and better) razors, I realized how bad that razor was.
I will give the Nacet another shot in my Overlander. Given how many people like it, I think maybe the issue was more with the razor than the blade.

In fairness to the Nacet, I only used it in my first razor- a cheap Indian 7 o’clock Sterling. Once I acquired more (and better) razors, I realized how bad that razor was.
I will give the Nacet another shot in my Overlander. Given how many people like it, I think maybe the issue was more with the razor than the blade.
When I was first trying the Overlander, I used my favorite blade, the Personna Comfort Coated. ... But I was not getting good shaves. It ends up I wasn't getting the angle right with the Overlander. Heh, I know ... the angle is right there in the geometry of the head. But I had the tendency of either riding the bar or rolling onto the cap -- depending on where I was shaving on my face or neck. But I learned that maintaining a neutral angle was key to getting fantastic, gentle shaves with the Overlander. I now get great shaves with the Personna blade and pretty much every blade I've tried with the OL.

I'm going to concentrate on the Gillette Blacks and Wizamets for a while.
Looking forward to reading more about your findings here. I've been loving the Wizamets in almost everything since I recently procured and started using this blade, _especially_ in my new Overlander.

Black Beauty's are still my best first shave blade by a mile; I've always thought it was a luxury shave when I get to unwrap one of these... However, (I realize only a sample size of one here) this the two shaves following my first use of this blade in my Overlander have to be the worst yet. And I don't mean worst as in 'worst of a group of glorious shaves.'

Top Bottom