What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
I just got a Karve brass and I'm not too impressed so far. Quality seems very good,, but shave quality is not very comfortable. I've shaved with the B and C plate so far...D plate is tomorrow....all solid bar. Both shaves left my face sore. This doesn't happen with any of my other preferred razors (Blackbird, 3one6, Rocca, Yates, S1, etc). Not sure what's going on. Maybe the Karve needs a different technique than I'm used to using.
Thank you - you may have saved me some money. I was thinking of ordering the B/C/D SB combo in brass and like medium to aggressive razors similar to your indicated preferences. Like you, I also use Astra SPs to test out new razors.

Thank you - you may have saved me some money. I was thinking of ordering the B/C/D SB combo in brass and like medium to aggressive razors similar to your indicated preferences. Like you, I also use Astra SPs to test out new razors.

I think there are some threads that compare the Karve to other razors that kind of compare the aggressiveness

I read that the B plate was the prototype when developing the razor. Blade exposure is neutral with the B plate, negative in A and AA, progressively positive C and above.

I got my Brass Karve in record time actually. Using a D plate at the moment, and I’ll probably spring for a SS sometime. I wouldn’t mind finding a different handle made by Karve, but a number of handles do fit. Some fit sloppily, but they do fit.
I usually clean up the brass Karve with toothpaste as suggested by the manufacturer.

Hello,

I have the Karve with B, C and D safety bar plates as well as the C open comb. I find the D plate the best for me, with the B and C a bit mild and taking too much buffing to get an easy BBS.

Question is, is the E or F plate a big step up in aggression to the D and a big drop off in comfort or are they just a bit more on the D plate?

Would I be better getting the E plate just to get a closer finish whilst still being comfortable or just go all out and get the F? I don't want to rip my face off just to get a close shave.

Thanks!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Hello,

I have the Karve with B, C and D safety bar plates as well as the C open comb. I find the D plate the best for me, with the B and C a bit mild and taking too much buffing to get an easy BBS.

Question is, is the E or F plate a big step up in aggression to the D and a big drop off in comfort or are they just a bit more on the D plate?

Would I be better getting the E plate just to get a closer finish whilst still being comfortable or just go all out and get the F? I don't want to rip my face off just to get a close shave.

Thanks!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I've got the G plate and that's an equally smooth and extremely efficient plate. Using it with a Super Max stainless blade gave me amazing shaves.

The Karve seems to manage aggression even with higher blade exposure. I've used the E, F and G plates, however inspite of the higher blade gaps, and improved efficiency- i found it very manageable to shave with any of them.

E is not a huge step up from D. That said, it is noticeable. Still comfortable but for me has more blade feel and great for when I have several days of growth to deal with. I am satisfied with the E and don't think I will go for F or higher.

I have every SB plate from A to F. I can notice an incremental difference from each one to the next up or down. I think you could go to an F if you want a significant difference, but you might be better just going to an E if you just want to "turn it up one notch". Considering the modest cost of the plates, and the fact that two won't cost any more to ship than one, you might think about buying both. I thought I would end up just using a couple, but I find as time goes by (I've had my Karve since May 2018) I've used them all at various times depending on the type of shave I want and/or how long my whiskers are. Of course, YMMV.

For me, there was a surprisingly huge step between d and e.

D I could use every day, easily. Comfortable, and always under control.

E was way too aggressive to even use one day.

(Sent from mobile)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I like the SB-D plade - a lot.

If the SB-D plate isn't efficient enough for your needs, I'd pass by the SB-E and go right to the SB-F plate. To me, it seems like the SB-F is easier to manage than the SB-E.

YMMV :)

I echo a lot of the above comments.
Started with SB C and D plate. Bought an E...hmmm, need 'more'...bought F and G (SB).
Happy to shave with either E, F, or G at any time. Smooth as!
Normally use the F for a daily, but get the E or G out depending on the day.
Hard to go wrong really. The G does have a wee bit more blade feel, but you won't tearing your face off.
Use a good soap though. Makes life so much better.

I've been searching here, but I'm still not sure of the answer. What handles will fit on Karve Plates? I've been eyeing a Karve SS open comb B-plate and cap. I thought I could save some money since I already have some extra handles, and only order the plate and cap from Karve. Will Razorock handles work? What about a Rockwell 6S handle? Others? Thanks!

Karve uses the #10-32 standard which is less common than what most razors use (most use the M5x0.8 thread). The rockwell also uses 10-32 which means the heads and handles are interchangeable between the two.

Razorock uses M5x0.8 which is bit wider. You can use a 10-32 cap with a M5 handle but not the other way around. There are mixed opinions on whether you should do this though. Most say it's not an issue as long as you're careful when you thread them together but others don't risk it with their higher end razors.

So yeah, the karve head will technically fit on a razorock handle (but not everyone thinks it's good practice) and it will definitely fit on the rockwell handle.

A M5x0,8 nut ( or handle ) will
fit a #10-32 bolt (or cap ) ,
but will not fully tighten.
It will be very easy to become
loose.

A #10-32 nut ( or handle ) will
NOT fit a M5x0,8 bolt (or cap).
After couple of turns parts will jam.
Any attempt to force the pairing
will result in the destruction of the
threads of either the parts or both
of them.