Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I find the D plate to be quite a step up from the C plate. I get a much closer shave. Had a wonderful shave yesterday with a D plate and a SuperMax Diamond Edge.

I find the D plate to be quite a step up from the C plate. I get a much closer shave. Had a wonderful shave yesterday with a D plate and a SuperMax Diamond Edge.

Same here!
The D is perfect for me but that small step down to C is just not that satisfying, although acceptable.

Great shaves with the Karve and “E” plate.

Yesterday’s shave.....

A49DAA93-D40A-43DB-9742-8FF01F3BD75E.jpeg

Today’s shave....

7682B872-986A-4BAD-9FB5-1D6D4A60C7D7.jpeg

Excellent combination of smoothness and efficiency with the E. Turns a 3 pass plus minor touch ups to 2 and a slight chin buff. Very nicely balanced and a pure joy to use. Solid, solid performer.

Do you know of any reference to blade exposure, etc? I've seen the blade gap chart before, and it just goes up by the same interval. Thus one would assume it is a gradual, smooth and consistent transition between plates. However, I feel some change more than others. I figure this is due to the other factors... Blade exposure, etc..

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
As per the Reddit AMA - AA through B are negative and C is actually just on the positive side, by about .001.

I had the same question. This was the best I could find.

As per the Reddit AMA - AA through B are negative and C is actually just on the positive side, by about .001.

I had the same question. This was the best I could find.

The D must have slightly positive exposure because the difference between C and D is quite pronounced for me.

The C plate is hard work to get a DFS whereas the D is a straight forward 3 pass BBS.

"D" plate seems to be the sweet spot for me. In other news, Chris says he will be posting details on the Open Comb release "soon".

So since my last assessment, I've gotten a few more shaves in. I feel like I've done better getting to know the razor. I've given up on trading off the D plate and eventually tried it again.

I feel like my technique with this razor must have improved, because when I gave the D plate another shot I got a good shave... On par with what I was getting from the C plate in regard to agressive feel, but a bit more BBS.

I also tried an all A plate shave. The A, for me, is now only going to be a cleanup / extra (what I was going to get the AA for). It just isn't as good now that I've done so many more C, and even the one D plate, shaves.

Last shave I tried my travel razor setup. Tonight, though, I'm back to the Karve.

I am also again thinking about an OC plate when it releases. The whole concept is for longer growths, right? So if I shave every other day like clockwork, I'm kind of wasting my money? Still, I cant help but wonder if it would have some unexpected new feel or efficiency. Lol. We shall see.

I am also again thinking about an OC plate when it releases. The whole concept is for longer growths, right? So if I shave every other day like clockwork, I'm kind of wasting my money? Still, I cant help but wonder if it would have some unexpected new feel or efficiency. Lol. We shall see.

Not necessarily, but maybe. Open Combs are typically more efficient, but it really depends on the razor. That being said, I'm sure it would work great for longer growth, especially if you have some of the milder SB plates.

If I still had my Karve I would definitely get the OC plate.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

I am also again thinking about an OC plate when it releases. The whole concept is for longer growths, right?
I guess it depends on the design. My Merkur 15c can plow through 5 days growth no problem - you can't clog it. But I always attributed that to the fact that there is no blade gap. The blade is tightened against the comb. Same with Fatip. What I read about the Karve is he is trying to figure out which base plate to make the OC from - which makes me think he is making one from his traditional base plates, which means it will have gap.

I guess it depends on the design. My Merkur 15c can plow through 5 days growth no problem - you can't clog it. But I always attributed that to the fact that there is no blade gap. The blade is tightened against the comb. Same with Fatip. What I read about the Karve is he is trying to figure out which base plate to make the OC from - which makes me think he is making one from his traditional base plates, which means it will have gap.
Ooh, do you think it'll just be one gap for the OC? That's interesting. It would make sense, based on the experience you describe.

Regardless of if I need it, I'll probably be buying an OC. RAD is a tough thing to kick. Lol.

My understanding is there will be different plates but not as many as the SB version. Something else to take into consideration is he is taking on more this year than just the OC base plates, he's doing Stainless Steel SB/OC also!! I think there will be even hotter heads prevailing this year than last with the delivery times for the future runs for sure, so best advice is to have some patience. I don't know how a single man operation will get all that accomplished this year...

Interesting . . . what about OC1, OC2, and OC3 plates, where the gaps fall solidly in between the A/B, B/C, and C/D gaps used in the original CB razor?

NO. That post is just speculation by me on possibilities based off your earlier post about fewer plates for the OC.

I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT KARVE'S PLANS FOR FUTURE RAZORS

Well, other than that I want them, of course.

OK. The Karvers have gotten to me. Since I'm a Noob, I'm supposed to be learning how to shave rather than falling victim to RAD already, but apparently RAD is no respecter of rules. I really like how rigidly the blade is mounted in the Karve, as I do on my Feather AS-D2. And it seems designed with good support for mild shavers as well, so AA-C are on the way. (One day from order to ship, so I guess he has caught up.) Since I live in a 120 year old house full of old brass already, I will likely not be a polisher - but I certainly know how if I change my mind. Polishing an old-looking thing gives a different look than keeping something polished from the beginning (ask some of my doorknobs), but that's OK with me. With a patina it will fit right in, since I sorta have one too at my age.

Top Bottom