What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Here's a weird issue.. I shaved tonight with the Rockwell 6c. This time I tried Plate 3. If you recall the last time, using plate 5, it wasn't getting close enough so I had to go over it with plate 6. Well plate 3 was so smooth, I was able to do a more thorough job, including a very light touch up against the grain. The end result was a DFS... Almost BBS. On top of that, it's nearly irritation free.

I'm shocked. I am also scrambling to figure out if a plate 3 would be equal to a Plate B on the Karve. If so, B C and D would definitely be my choice. I then have the option to use plate B and replicate the three, plate C to replicate the 5/6, or plate d to get closer to the Rockwell baby smooth... All in one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I've been reading quite a few write-ups and posts, on the web and other boards... One thing noted is that there's a sizable jump in Blade feel and exposure between the C&d plate. I think I mentioned earlier, I get the best shave from the RR baby smooth, but I get the most painful post shave feel as well. I'm wondering if that is due to the blade exposure, the angle, or both? Obviously if it's exposure related, the d plate could be problematic as well. However, it seems like most people are getting the shave I'm seeking from the d plate. I worry the b or c would not provide the close shave I desire.

At this point I might be overthinking it, LOL. Just trying to get the best choice for me, and hopefully hit the target on my first try.

The advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I haven’t used the baby smooth, but your issue could be lack of exposure/blade feel. I got more irritation with my Feather, before I sold it, than I do with the Karve F plate. I originally had the D, but I couldn’t get a comfortable shave due to the lack of blade feel. The F plate is much more comfortable and the efficient, in my opinion. I know this is due to my technique because I apply too much pressure with razors that don’t have much exposure.

Here's a weird issue.. I shaved tonight with the Rockwell 6c. This time I tried Plate 3. If you recall the last time, using plate 5, it wasn't getting close enough so I had to go over it with plate 6. Well plate 3 was so smooth, I was able to do a more thorough job, including a very light touch up against the grain. The end result was a DFS... Almost BBS. On top of that, it's nearly irritation free.

I'm shocked. I am also scrambling to figure out if a plate 3 would be equal to a Plate B on the Karve. If so, B C and D would definitely be my choice. I then have the option to use plate B and replicate the three, plate C to replicate the 5/6, or plate d to get closer to the Rockwell baby smooth... All in one.

Duplicated this again... plate 3, atg for the third pass, awesome irritation free shave. I'll probably end up using the B pkate on my Karve if this is the experience I can expect.

Question... What is the A plate compared to in a Rockwell 6c/s?

The Fatips have zero gap so it's really difficult to compare them with a razor so different in design. (The difference between the Grande/Piccolo and the Gentile is entirely exposure. ).
How does Fatip Grande and Gentile compare to the plates of Karve? Anyone willing to share his impressions?

Hi guys,

This would be my very first post here. Having read all 81 pages of this post I was really set on getting the Karve but then I saw that some of you guys have issues with raw brass . Given that I have sensitive skin and I'm not thrilled with having to take apart my razor just to keep it in good condition, is there a better way to keep it looking great without too much hassle and without having to either chrome plate it or keep polishing n waxing it... So I don't get skin irritations .. Sigh

The Fatips have zero gap so it's really difficult to compare them with a razor so different in design. (The difference between the Grande/Piccolo and the Gentile is entirely exposure. ).

Thanks man. So, I need to buy a Karve to find it out myself I guess... :)

Given that I have sensitive skin and I'm not thrilled with having to take apart my razor just to keep it in good condition, is there a better way to keep it looking great without too much hassle and without having to either chrome plate it or keep polishing n waxing it... So I don't get skin irritations .. Sigh
It looks like you'd better wait for the stainless steel or titanium versions buddy. :wink2:

Cal, I was lucky to have a short fb message and he did confirm that he'll be making as razors but they'll be 303 not 316 and I really want to give my buddy a karve for Xmas but some of the posts about the long wait has really gotten e worried
Chris said e ss versions will be ready only next yr... Ouch

Cal, I was lucky to have a short fb message and he did confirm that he'll be making as razors but they'll be 303 not 316 and I really want to give my buddy a karve for Xmas but some of the posts about the long wait has really gotten e worried
According to his Instagram page he's all caught up. So you should be fine for a brass razor for your buddy (Canada Post permitting).
Chris said e ss versions will be ready only next yr... Ouch
Yep 2019. 303 is perfectly good IMO... how many lifetimes did you want your razor to last? :letterk1: :laugh:

According to his Instagram page he's all caught up. So you should be fine for a brass razor for your buddy (Canada Post permitting).

Yep 2019. 303 is perfectly good IMO... how many lifetimes did you want your razor to last? :letterk1: :laugh:

How long...? If its the ONE, then of course it must be FOREVER and become something PRECIOUS!!!

I'm kidda anxious to get the razor for my buddy and since, Chris was really helpful with his advice I thought I'll get 2 razors, one for myself.

Being Chinese with facial hair that's rather course, sparce and pointed in all the wrong directions like a cat's whiskers, which plate might be most suited to me please?

Many thx for any advice !

Last edited:
Being Chinese with facial hair that's rather course, sparce and pointed in all the wrong directions like a cat's whiskers, which plate might be most suited to me please?
I'm afraid I'm the wrong guy to ask. I have only the F baseplate (I have coarse, plentiful, and fast growing whiskers... and I like "efficient" razors).

I'd post again and ask the others for their views. Also, if you have one or more DE razors that you currently like let's know what it/they is/are. Then people with the same razor will be able to advise more accurately.

I would guess that the C baseplate's the most popular (being right in the middle).

Yep 2019. 303 is perfectly good IMO... how many lifetimes did you want your razor to last? :letterk1: [emoji23]
Not to mention, bronze should be in the classification of a forever razor. It's a solid one piece insanely sturdy metal. The only issue I can perceive would be tarnishing... So it's more of regular care, not end of life. At least, that's what I always thought.

Chris is shipping almost immediately right now. My 3.25’ Karve took only 5 days to New England. Also West Coast Shaving have a delivery of Karve’s on the way right now.

@mawashi I get the same shave (often closer) from the B/C plate using a shallow angle (more cap) than E/F on a steep angle (riding the guard.) B or C should be fine. Good luck!

Many thx vtmsx,

Just some more info and back to the plate question n this is were I really need some help, cos I've been using a 3 blade disposable n barely rem using a de, I tend to start my shaves at a steep angle (handle closer to my face) then roll the cap down to a more shallow angle at the upper lip just below the nose, for the sides I tend to have a 45 degree slant and shave upwards. Finally for the scrub below the lower lip I tend to do the same as the upper lip (steep to shallow) .

My facial hairs do grow fast but cos its rather sparce, I can get away w a shave every 2 days.

Soooo which plate might suit me best please lol?

I'm afraid I'm the wrong guy to ask. I have only the F baseplate (I have coarse, plentiful, and fast growing whiskers... and I like "efficient" razors).

I'd post again and ask the others for their views. Also, if you have one or more DE razors that you currently like let's know what it/they is/are. Then people with the same razor will be able to advise more accurately.

I would guess that the C baseplate's the most popular (being right in the middle).

Agree and your inputs are valued B & C plates are very popular indeed.
I'll consider the ss version for my skin when it's out too, thx.

Not to mention, bronze should be in the classification of a forever razor. It's a solid one piece insanely sturdy metal. The only issue I can perceive would be tarnishing... So it's more of regular care, not end of life. At least, that's what I always thought.

The dreaded tarnish is something fear esp when I just rinse the razor but leave the blade in. Singapore is in the tropics n hot, humid sea air is pretty much the norm... Not the best for keeping brass pretty lol!

Last edited:
Agree and your inputs are valued B & C plates are very popular indeed.
I'll consider the ss version for my skin when it's out too, thx.

The dreaded tarnish is something fear esp when I just rinse the razor but leave the blade in. Singapore is in the tropics n hot, humid sea air is pretty much the norm... Not the best for keeping brass pretty lol!

If it is that big a concern, consider a container filled baby oil. Finish your shave, wipe dry the razor, and into the container it goes. Next shave, take it out, wipe off the residue, and away you go.

If it is that big a concern, consider a container filled baby oil. Finish your shave, wipe dry the razor, and into the container it goes. Next shave, take it out, wipe off the residue, and away you go.

Emmm... Thanks... Kidda?? Baby oil seems a bit much but it might not hurt just probably make things rather messy lol.
I'm getting 2 karves one for myself n my buddy so sure baby oil might be possible.

What I really wanna know is for b & c plates and for course hair which blade would work best? I'm thinking of astra and volshord blades. Feather n kai might be a bit too dangerous for beginners I think lol

Emmm... Thanks... Kidda?? Baby oil seems a bit much but it might not hurt just probably make things rather messy lol.
I'm getting 2 karves one for myself n my buddy so sure baby oil might be possible.

What I really wanna know is for b & c plates and for course hair which blade would work best? I'm thinking of astra and volshord blades. Feather n kai might be a bit too dangerous for beginners I think lol
That's usually a loaded question... Different blades for different people with different hair, face, etc..

If you get 30 responses, expect at least 10 different answers. Lol.

I am still waiting for mine (Xmas gift), but I will use my standard to start... BIC Chrome Platinum. Almost no one talks about them here... See how tastes vary? [emoji846]

Top Bottom