What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
View attachment 929290 I am happy with my 3/C brass version. No more plates, no more handles to try.

I'm glad you're happy with yours. If brass didn't develop a patina and if it had zero smell, I would have already gotten one myself because I like the color and design (prettiest safety razor I have ever seen). So I'll just wait for the SS version with probably a C and F plate.

Tons of posts on forums that people will wait for stainless steel. I’ll be at the head of the line myself. It’s my favorite razor.

The brass Karve is fantastic. Shaves beautifully, the golden patina is soft on early morning eyes, and no smell whatsoever.

Chris mentioned he might have to eventually raise the price so I jumped on a backup this past weekend. Couldn’t resist the free shipping.

I'm very much considering this razor... Seems very solid, like a forever razor. I have so much trouble finding a razor that works well. I own the Rockwell 6c, which I think (it's been a while) worked just ok on a 5 or 6... maybe? I have a Razorock German 37 which is too agressive. I also have a undated ball end Gillette which does not cut close enough. Finally, I have a Razorock Baby Smooth which gives an amazingly close shave but hurts so bad with razor burn regardless of angle or lack of pressure.

Any opinions? Would I do well with a Karve, any any idea of a plate for me? I know I have very little history to go on (my biggest use, the baby smooth, isn't a traditional blade gap razor you can compare). Thanks folks for any help you can provide. [emoji846]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'm very much considering this razor... Seems very solid, like a forever razor. I have so much trouble finding a razor that works well. I own the Rockwell 6c, which I think (it's been a while) worked just ok on a 5 or 6... maybe? I have a Razorock German 37 which is too agressive. I also have a undated ball end Gillette which does not cut close enough. Finally, I have a Razorock Baby Smooth which gives an amazingly close shave but hurts so bad with razor burn regardless of angle or lack of pressure.

Any opinions? Would I do well with a Karve, any any idea of a plate for me? I know I have very little history to go on (my biggest use, the baby smooth, isn't a traditional blade gap razor you can compare). Thanks folks for any help you can provide. [emoji846]

Karve CB is a very efficient and at the same time very smooth razor, so I think you would like it.
If you still have the Rockwell, you could always use it again, to work out your favourite plate(s), which will give you an idea on which baseplate to get for the Karve CB.
If it is R5 or R6, then I would probably go with plate D on the Karve (although, if you can afford it, you could always get plate C as well, a bit milder but still efficient, great as a daily shaver).

The other thing to decide is if you would be happy with the brass razor currently available, or whether you’d prefer to wait a bit longer for the stainless steel version (although that will be more expensive).

Hope that helps.

Karve CB is a very efficient and at the same time very smooth razor, so I think you would like it.
If you still have the Rockwell, you could always use it again, to work out your favourite plate(s), which will give you an idea on which baseplate to get for the Karve CB.
If it is R5 or R6, then I would probably go with plate D on the Karve (although, if you can afford it, you could always get plate C as well, a bit milder but still efficient, great as a daily shaver).

The other thing to decide is if you would be happy with the brass razor currently available, or whether you’d prefer to wait a bit longer for the stainless steel version (although that will be more expensive).

Hope that helps.

Thank you. I have been doing some research all day and I was leaning towards those two... I am glad to hear it echoed back. Especially among the occasional presence of the "I need to order the new double Z plate with 65 feet of blade gap"... Those things make me wonder if I'm on target or not, lol.

I will shave tonight with a 5 or 6 to see if I am correct in my recollection.

Also, I think I do want a brass. If I'm correct, it's solid like a stainless. It, therefore, should last for generations. It'll probably need more cleaning, but the trade-off is a beautiful antique look (imo).

Thanks.

Thank you. I have been doing some research all day and I was leaning towards those two... I am glad to hear it echoed back. Especially among the occasional presence of the "I need to order the new double Z plate with 65 feet of blade gap"... Those things make me wonder if I'm on target or not, lol.

I will shave tonight with a 5 or 6 to see if I am correct in my recollection.

Also, I think I do want a brass. If I'm correct, it's solid like a stainless. It, therefore, should last for generations. It'll probably need more cleaning, but the trade-off is a beautiful antique look (imo).

Thanks.

Great statement! And I think the advice given should work out well. I had the Rockwell 6C and liked the 4/5 combo, as well as preferring my Slim set to 6 for the first pass then 5 for the rest. The point being, for me, the B and C plates are great daily workhorses. I picked up a D off the BST later, and it works great for 30+ hrs of growth but I haven't tried it as my daily plate much, as it seems a bit more blade feel than I like, and hence I feel it as "aggressive." Others call it mild. YMMV and all that! And to through a curve ball in: today I used plate A with a Polsilver, 30 hours since last shave, and one pass only on my face. Super smooth and close! I am stunned. I use A when I know the next shave is less than 15 hours away. Let me encourage you to spend your money and Buy All The Plates!! :)wink2: just kidding! Get what you think will be best. You can always BST for what you want!)

I did a shave with half of my face using the Rockwell plate 5, and the other half with the plate 6. After two passes with each, I ended up doing a quick touch up pass on both sides with the 6. Honestly, I could have done a better third pass with both. However, I was short on time and I could already tell the 5 wasn't cutting it. That side had a sizably rougher feel then the 6 side. In the end, my face is pain free and very happy feeling.

So I've read that the karve is a lot more efficient... What do you think? If I'm to get two plates what would you suggest?

Thanks everyone, your help is greatly appreciated! [emoji846]

I've been reading quite a few write-ups and posts, on the web and other boards... One thing noted is that there's a sizable jump in Blade feel and exposure between the C&d plate. I think I mentioned earlier, I get the best shave from the RR baby smooth, but I get the most painful post shave feel as well. I'm wondering if that is due to the blade exposure, the angle, or both? Obviously if it's exposure related, the d plate could be problematic as well. However, it seems like most people are getting the shave I'm seeking from the d plate. I worry the b or c would not provide the close shave I desire.

At this point I might be overthinking it, LOL. Just trying to get the best choice for me, and hopefully hit the target on my first try.

The advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I did a shave with half of my face using the Rockwell plate 5, and the other half with the plate 6. After two passes with each, I ended up doing a quick touch up pass on both sides with the 6. Honestly, I could have done a better third pass with both. However, I was short on time and I could already tell the 5 wasn't cutting it. That side had a sizably rougher feel then the 6 side. In the end, my face is pain free and very happy feeling.

So I've read that the karve is a lot more efficient... What do you think? If I'm to get two plates what would you suggest?

Thanks everyone, your help is greatly appreciated! [emoji846]

I have a "C" Plate with D, E, and F plates on order.

When I use my Rockwell 6S, I use either the R5 or R6 plates with Voshkod or Feather blades. The "C" Plate on the Karve requires me to be more precise than I am with the Rockwell, if that makes sense. I am looking forward to moving through the other three plates when I get them to determine which option is best for me.

And, if I am being honest, I will likely be a S/S version with my preferred plate when they become available. Hell, I'll probably buy them all.

I would suggest the "C" and "D" if you are only going to get two plates, and the "C" if only one is in the budget.

I have a "C" Plate with D, E, and F plates on order.

When I use my Rockwell 6S, I use either the R5 or R6 plates with Voshkod or Feather blades. The "C" Plate on the Karve requires me to be more precise than I am with the Rockwell, if that makes sense. I am looking forward to moving through the other three plates when I get them to determine which option is best for me.

And, if I am being honest, I will likely be a S/S version with my preferred plate when they become available. Hell, I'll probably buy them all.

I would suggest the "C" and "D" if you are only going to get two plates, and the "C" if only one is in the budget.
What do you mean by more precise? Like it doesn't cut as well or you can cut yourself easier and thus you have to be more careful?

I've been back and forth between B and C or C and D. I am currently thinking C and D may be the better option for me.

Thanks.

I find with my Karve, using the "C" plate, I need to be more mindful of blade angle . . . not so much from an irritation standpoint, but from an efficiency one. Get the angle "right" and hair disappears in one pass. A little "off" and some touch-ups will be required. I cannot begin to imagine cutting myself with my CB. When I am "on" it feels like I am shaving w/o a blade installed, and yet the hair still disappears.

With my 6S, using the R3/R4 plates, I found a similar experience. I moved up through the R5 to the R6 and, whether it is just more "intuitive" for me with those parameters or not, I just find the shaving experience to be easier, with less thought given to technique. It is why I immediately purchased the added plates for my Karve. I expect that I will experience a similar "liberation" from having to "think" about it, as opposed to just doing it.

As I said, I would suggest the C & D plates if you can afford to add one, the "C" if you cannot. You can always purchase another plate from them, or second hand, later on.

I will add that the Karve is a much defter handling razor than the Rockwell, imo. The 6S is a big, heavy beast, while the Karve is more nimble.

Think Humvee vs. Jeep.

I've been reading quite a few write-ups and posts, on the web and other boards... One thing noted is that there's a sizable jump in Blade feel and exposure between the C&d plate. I think I mentioned earlier, I get the best shave from the RR baby smooth, but I get the most painful post shave feel as well. I'm wondering if that is due to the blade exposure, the angle, or both? Obviously if it's exposure related, the d plate could be problematic as well. However, it seems like most people are getting the shave I'm seeking from the d plate. I worry the b or c would not provide the close shave I desire.

At this point I might be overthinking it, LOL. Just trying to get the best choice for me, and hopefully hit the target on my first try.

The advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Agree with previous posts, I would suggest C and D.
I used to use Rockwell 6S on R4, R5 and R6.
With Karve CB I started by using plate C, very smooth, almost no blade feel.
I then tried plate D, a bit of blade feel, but not much, certainly not uncomfortable at all... still very smooth and no irritation. I now mostly use D as my daily shaver.

You can end up overthinking it, you’re right.
Everyone’s preferences and experiences are different, and there are so many factors involved, from your preferred blades, to whether you shave daily or every other day, two or three passes, if you do an ATG pass or not, etc, etc....
So you can never be 100% sure what will work best for you until you try....

Agree with previous posts, I would suggest C and D.
I used to use Rockwell 6S on R4, R5 and R6.
With Karve CB I started by using plate C, very smooth, almost no blade feel.
I then tried plate D, a bit of blade feel, but not much, certainly not uncomfortable at all... still very smooth and no irritation. I now mostly use D as my daily shaver.

You can end up overthinking it, you’re right.
Everyone’s preferences and experiences are different, and there are so many factors involved, from your preferred blades, to whether you shave daily or every other day, two or three passes, if you do an ATG pass or not, etc, etc....
So you can never be 100% sure what will work best for you until you try....

PS Alternatively, you could spend a bit more and get all three plates (B, C and D), and only pay shipping once.... :)
And you could then sell one plate later on if you didn’t like it.

Last edited:

I have spoken to some of the high end artisan razor makers and none of them, Karve included, sell anywhere near the numbers of aggressive razors and/or baseplates compared to what we see on the forums.

Karve sales:

E Plate: 6%
F Plate: 6%

88% of the over 1,000 Karve’s sold are B-D yet the vocal posts on more ‘aggression’ is everywhere.

I have used all 7 plates having acquired a few Karve’s since last April.

B & C are my favorite daily plates as I don’t find much difference between B and D. If I have heavy growth the D or E are quicker but they shave no deeper than the B/C plates with B being the smoothest shave I have experienced in years of DE shaving. Amazing razor.

Last edited:
I have spoken to some of the high end artisan razor makers and none of them, Karve included, sell anywhere near the numbers of aggressive razors and/or baseplates compared to what we see on the forums.

Karve sales:

E Plate: 6%
F Plate: 6%

88% of the over 1,000 Karve’s sold are B-D yet the vocal posts on more ‘aggression’ is everywhere.

I have used all 7 plates having acquired a few Karve’s since last April.

B & C are my favorite daily plates as I don’t find much difference between B and D. If I have heavy growth the D or E are quicker but they shave no deeper than the B/C plates with B being the smoothest shave I have experienced in years of DE shaving. Amazing razor.
Now that is some interesting information! I'm with you on the B and C plates, even though this weekend I'm trialing the D plate as the daily, and Monday drop to B to compare. Regardless, I love this razor and enjoy my shaves even more since getting it!

Eric; M, Karve Diem, BOSC

I guess what really makes a difference is how often you shave and how heavy your beard growth is. Right now I shave once a week and before that I shaved every 3-4 days. At those intervals my Mühle R41 is a lot more efficient than my Mühle R89 or Merkur 34C. When the Stainless Steel version of the Karve arrives, I'll normally be going for the C and F plates.

I guess what really makes a difference is how often you shave and how heavy your beard growth is. Right now I shave once a week and before that I shaved every 3-4 days. At those intervals my Mühle R41 is a lot more efficient than my Mühle R89 or Merkur 34C. When the Stainless Steel version of the Karve arrives, I'll normally be going for the C and F plates.
I shave every 48 hours. I have coarse wirey hair. My skin is so sensitive I get razor burn from a angry stare. Also, I like it smooth shaved. If I don't shave, after a week or so growth, the hair gives me actual pain.

So, I think at this point I am going to get the B, C, and D. This is a real razor... The kind that'll last and be passed down to future generations. If I get all three, I'll have a plate for any situation. Also, if I absolutely don't use one, I could just sell it.

I shave every 48 hours. I have coarse wirey hair. My skin is so sensitive I get razor burn from a angry stare. Also, I like it smooth shaved. If I don't shave, after a week or so growth, the hair gives me actual pain.

So, I think at this point I am going to get the B, C, and D. This is a real razor... The kind that'll last and be passed down to future generations. If I get all three, I'll have a plate for any situation. Also, if I absolutely don't use one, I could just sell it.

The E and F are equally smooth but a notch up in efficiency. You may want to go for the C,D and E to start with. I have a B gets used very less.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Top Bottom