Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Will anyone really notice a 1/4”?

Yes indeed. The reason I pushed Chris for a 3.25 is that it keeps that maneuverability while providing more comfort to the hand.

The ATT Atlas was 3’ (76mm) and while maneuverable a tad too short.

82mm (3.25’) fixes that perfectly.

Then of course we have the perfect length handle: 75mm. :001_tt2:
upload_2018-11-12_15-47-6.png

Dear all Karve club members,
I am so glad to find here.
I have been on the fence of getting a Karve for a long while.
In fact, if a SS version was available, I would have purchased one.
My all time favorite is Gillette pre war Tech (triangular slot), it is quite smooth and efficient.
However, I do not reach it very often when tending to shave a bit closer.
(Sometimes I can not shave every day.)
Could you please advice me the plate choices?
Your suggestions are highly appreciated.

Dear all Karve club members,
I am so glad to find here.
I have been on the fence of getting a Karve for a long while.
In fact, if a SS version was available, I would have purchased one.
My all time favorite is Gillette pre war Tech (triangular slot), it is quite smooth and efficient.
However, I do not reach it very often when tending to shave a bit closer.
(Sometimes I can not shave every day.)
Could you please advice me the plate choices?
Your suggestions are highly appreciated.

Check out my post "Ultimate Karve Buyer's Guide". In it you will find an email from Chris the designer and maker of the Karve and his guidance as to how his plates compare with Gillette razors. Chris is a fan of the Tech.

Purchasing this razor has made shaving "fun" again, as opposed to something to be endured. I am going to have to learn how to polish it up nicely, once the patina starts to take hold so that it can look like some of the beautiful images I have seen. I kind of regret purchasing the 6S from Rockwell at this point, but c'est la vie.

Think I may just go nuts and get the remaining plates and a 3" handle to boot. Or ask for them for Christmas . . . LOL.

Based on a gent's experience on another forum, I polished my CB Karve with some Eagle One wadding polish and am very pleased with the results!
Here is a before photo:

20181115_085236.jpg

And here is the after photo:

20181115_093516.jpg

And the underside of the cap, where I have the most discoloration form:
20181115_093723.jpg

I had polished the razor using Flitz at the end of September, so there wasn't much discoloration/patina formed. I don't mind the patina, I just would like it more even! But contrarily, I don't like to disassemble the razor after every shave. Instead, it gets rinsed under the faucet and patted dry on a face cloth. So maybe uneven is what I get!

Has there been any word of a stainless steel version and a time frame? Just curious. For some reason, I thought I saw a rumor but can't remember where.

It’s not just a rumour anymore.
Chris (designer of the razor and owner of Karve Co) has confirmed himself on a few occasions that he was working on a SS version.
Last time was during a Reddit AMA session he had a couple of weeks ago, when he talked about the SS razor and some other future plans.

Regarding the timeframe....
He wouldn’t specify, and I wonder whether even he knows for sure at this stage...
As much as I’d like to be able to purchase one by Christmas, I doubt that will be possible... we’re probably talking months rather than weeks....

:yesnod: I definitely would. That extra ¼" just moves it out of the sporty super maneuverable range for me.

Yes indeed. The reason I pushed Chris for a 3.25 is that it keeps that maneuverability while providing more comfort to the hand.

The ATT Atlas was 3’ (76mm) and while maneuverable a tad too short.

82mm (3.25’) fixes that perfectly.

I'm with Cal on this one. The handle of my Merkur 34C is 76mm (about 3") which is pretty much perfect for me. I can let the bottom of the handle rest on top of my pinky finger which improves the maneuverability in my opinion. Nowadays I mostly shave with my R41 or R89 in combination with the Ikon Bulldog 80mm handle (about 3.15"). This already feels slightly less maneuverable than my 34C and is really the maximum length I'm willing to accept. So it's going to be the 3" handle for me when the SS version has been released.

It’s not just a rumour anymore.
Chris (designer of the razor and owner of Karve Co) has confirmed himself on a few occasions that he was working on a SS version.
Last time was during a Reddit AMA session he had a couple of weeks ago, when he talked about the SS razor and some other future plans.

Regarding the timeframe....
He wouldn’t specify, and I wonder whether even he knows for sure at this stage...
As much as I’d like to be able to purchase one by Christmas, I doubt that will be possible... we’re probably talking months rather than weeks....

He actually did specify a (slightly vague) release date during the AMA session. I'll quote him:

"I'm working on the stainless actively and I'm planning to have the first run done this month. There are still a few technical issues to figure out, so that's could easily move.

I'm pushing hard to have the stainless out before Christmas, but I can't believe how fast the time is passing. The best thing I can say is to stay tuned to my IG because that's where I'll post updates. Titanium is going to be the first quarter of 2019 and I'll start with just the handle as an option."

Basically his goal is to get the SS version out before Christmas. Whether he'll reach his goal is another story. Or in other words: my source in one of my previous posts was pretty much spot on (and I posted that info before the AMA session took place).

This is what he said about the price:

"Initial pricing is going to be about CDN$200, which is about USD$160."

So basically double the price.
Damn. B&B Members have all of the info! However, I think I may just stick with the original and read the 70 some pages of this thread to figure out how to keep it from looking like junk due to the elements. - at least until I figure out if I even like it or not.

I'm guessing the price is reflective of the greater difficulty in working SS as opposed to Brass?

Wondering if there will be a different array of plate options with a SS razor?

Alternate question would be whether or not a "G" plate might be in the future plans.

Top Bottom